Vertex

Sanity Changes

@DoctorGringo @Makr6e6 @CharDraesia @zOmBIEz @Gamstoby @APArtHistory

I am pleased to announce new exciting changes as to how the in-game Morbus sanity system works.

Player sanities are now carried over to next map. And the minimum restoration threshold of 100 is currently functioning properly. Put into simpler terms, map changes only restore 100 sanity instead of restoring all of your lost sanity. Players now more than ever, have to earn back their sanity. And more emphasis is put on playing the game properly.

In future improvements, 50% or 100 sanity (whichever is greater) will be restored on map change. This was intended to be done on the first update, but had a few bugs. A server reboot or crash will be treated the same as a map change. Accurate to the last round played, sanities will restore as mentioned above.

I would also like to abstract on the Morbus sanity system further, by applying damage reductions instantly; thus, making mass RDMing an nearly impossible task to accomplish. Should be successfully achieved, sanity values will only be networked to other players at the end of each round; even though, they would be constantly decreasing. To summarize, instant damage reductions and scoreboard updates only at round end.

These improvements are going to be huge and completely change the way we look at RDMing. Combined with the moderate sanity decreases, less server bans will be required; while, drastically reducing the amount of disputations to gameplay, caused by improperly playing or greifing. When moderating a server, it's always best to accomplish the task of improving the environment with the least amount of overhead possible. I couldn't help but notice constant banning with nothing changing.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Just an idea, deduct alien points or brood upgrades for brood team kills.

That would further discourage players or RDMers from killing other broods.

Another idea would be to make brood form permanent if they kill 2 or more fellow broods.

It would speed up a ruined round for victims and prevent griefers from delaying in human form.

Despite those suggestions, the new changes to sanity are a massive improvement.

My only problem with this is it makes rdming harder to find. Sure you "stop it" before it becomes a problem, but the people that are gonna be rdming on a consistent basis are going to keep on rdming on a consistent basis. I'd rather see the 1week ban TG had whenever people used to mass rdm (3 or more rdm, longer if rdm and leave.). That made for a better experience with less rdm.

People who rdm are going to keep on rdming. Better to keep them out of the game rather than keep them in it. The changes are good, but theres still gonna be a problem.

Just an idea, deduct alien points or brood upgrades for brood team kills.

That would further discourage players or RDMers from killing other broods.

Another idea would be to make brood form permanent if they kill 2 or more fellow broods.

It would speed up a ruined round for victims and prevent griefers from delaying in human form.

Despite those suggestions, the new changes to sanity are a massive improvement.

Agree with the first two sentences.

If people are killing other broods as a brood, that should be a big NO. Autokill the brood that is rdming more than 1 brood, there is NO way a brood should be allowed to kill 2 other broods. keeping them in brood form is whatever b/c its better to be in brood form anyways.

I just added a new scale ratio to sanity. Previously, 100% of the sanity loss was scaled based on the victim sanity. Now only 70% of the loss is scaled by victim sanity. The other 30% is a flat maximum loss.

Example 1

Vertex has 600 sanity and is rdmed by someone. Here is a comparison between new and old damages for 100 improper damage dealt.

Old: 600 * (100 * 0.0015) = 90 loss for damage + 50 for rdm = 140 total loss

New 70% scale: (600 * 0.70) + (1000 * 0.3) = 720

720 * (100 * 0.0015) = 108 loss for damage + 50 for rdm = 158 total loss

Example 2

Gringo has 750 sanity and is gunned down by a brood. Here is a comparison between new and old damages for 100 improper damage dealt.

Old: 750 * (100 * 0.0015) = 112 loss for damage + 75 for gun down = 187 total loss

New 70% scale: (750* 0.70) + (1000 * 0.3) = 825

825 * (100 * 0.0015) = 123 loss for damage + 75 for gun down= 198 total loss

Unchanged Example with 1000 Sanity + 100 damage

RDM: 1000 * 0.15 = 150 loss for damage + 50 for rdm = 200 total loss

Gun Down: 1000 * 0.15 = 150 loss for damage + 75 for gundown = 225 total loss

*Note* Gundown losses are moderately less on average than RDM. The success rate from 100 damage is less than 30%, due to 30% damage with guns as brood and accounting for average sanity. I can predict losing about 150 sanity each time a brood gets a gundown on average.

Edited by Vertex (see edit history)

The next thing i'm doing is shifting some sanity regeneration away from swam, human and brood kills. And more toward tasks like completing missions. This will make restoring sanity significantly easier for new players; and, give veterans a harder time getting away with playing dirty, just because they can rake up the required kills to offset sanity decreases.

I'm also aware of a sanity regeneration issues killing afk swarms. That will be patched on the weekend when I got more time.

Sanity drops are actually exponential decay for damage reductions.

The exponential formula is

>
1+ -0.0000025 * (k^2)

where k equals the total sanity lost taken as a negative value.

This evaluates to

>
800 sanity = 10% damage loss
600 sanity = 40% damage loss
400 sanity = 90% damage loss

Would it be a good idea to change the equation for more loss earlier and less later on?

This can be accomplished by increasing the base and reducing the exponent.

For example a better one might be. (with a positive k, double reflections removed)

>
1 - 0.00004 * (k ^ 1.55)

Which approximately evaluates to

>
800 sanity = 15% damage loss
600 sanity = 43% damage loss
400 sanity = 81% damage loss

Edited by Vertex (see edit history)