Bone

Making A Game

So, didn't know if I should post this in "Games" or here, so I'll post here and someone can move it if they want

Basically, I'm making a Unity Game, but I'm not very... uhhh... "talented" in the coding area. This is however a game I've been wanting to make for years and have decided to do something about it.

I was wondering if anyone here has any coding experience. Most likely gonna learn JS first since it's supposed to be easier, but want to learn C++ since it's more widely used.

I don't want to reveal too much about the game other than that it'll be a 2D/2.5D Side Scrolling Beat 'em Up 'cause why not? I plan on doing pretty much everything myself, from models to music, everything. I'm just awful at coding since it confuses the hell out of me.

So, any coding advice, or anyone here with Unity experience?

Coding is just logic in a different language. C++ is good, but you should also check out Java too.

Don't put all of your code into the "main" function. Make good use out of functions. Keep your code clean and organized. Make comments above the function or notes next to the code to remind you what that method does.

I haven't touched C++ since senior year in high school, but Java I'm more familiar with. If you come across any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck on the game, man. Can't wait to see the results.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Depending on how much you know already, this is a decent place to start if you need some basic tutorials for c++. Unity uses js or c# like you mentioned, but you can also try UE4 (my preference) which uses C++ as well as Blueprint, which is a visual scripting language so you don't actually need to learn any code if you don't want to.

If you want to concentrate on more coding and not use premade game engines (but limit yourself to 2d), you could use SDL with c++ to create something, or Pygame with python (python is by far the easiest to learn out of all of these).

I don't know much about unity, although I know @Sojodak knows about it a bit, but I can also help with any specific coding questions or if you just can't get something to work.

Depending on how much you know already, this is a decent place to start if you need some basic tutorials for c++. Unity uses js or c# like you mentioned, but you can also try UE4 (my preference) which uses C++ as well as Blueprint, which is a visual scripting language so you don't actually need to learn any code if you don't want to.

If you want to concentrate on more coding and not use premade game engines (but limit yourself to 2d), you could use SDL with c++ to create something, or Pygame with python (python is by far the easiest to learn out of all of these).

I don't know much about unity, although I know @Sojodak knows about it a bit, but I can also help with any specific coding questions or if you just can't get something to work.

Alright, thanks. I thought of using Unreal as well as Source and Cry engine, but felt like Unity is a bit more... Entry level... The problem is that Unity doesn't accept C++ at all, so I have to learn C# then C++, which isn't a big deal.

Although I could use one of those pre-made game makers to make my game, I decided to try and get away from the 2D 8/16-bit style, since it's honestly overused now.

I also do want to learn coding, since I also want to make Source Plugins for TF2 sometime down the road. So if I have some kind of experience learning, that will be a bit easier.

AAAAAIIIIEEE AN ARTIST IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN ARTIST. I LOVE YOU @Lithium. DUDE I CAN HELP IF YOU WANT, I WAS LITERALLY ABOUT TO POST A THREAD ABOUT THUS YESTERDAY BUT SAID NO. I REALLY NEED THE EXPERIENCE JUST FUCKING HIT ME UP AND I COULD HELP YOU LAY DOWN A DEMO AS LONG AS YOU PROVIDE ART WORK AND GAME DESIGN since you know its your game.:loldidntread::migraineinducing::loldidntread::migraineinducing::loldidntread::migraineinducing:

I mainly just do mechanics but I've been in such a rut i was gonna go to new grounds and see if i can get experience through freelance work but so much better.

Shouting glee is so unprofessional but i dont care HIT ME UP AND LETS WORK SOMETHING OUT

AAAAAIIIIEEE AN ARTIST IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN ARTIST. I LOVE YOU @Lithium. DUDE I CAN HELP IF YOU WANT, I WAS LITERALLY ABOUT TO POST A THREAD ABOUT THUS YESTERDAY BUT SAID NO. I REALLY NEED THE EXPERIENCE JUST frickING HIT ME UP AND I COULD HELP YOU LAY DOWN A DEMO AS LONG AS YOU PROVIDE ART WORK AND GAME DESIGN since you know its your game.:loldidntread::migraineinducing::loldidntread::migraineinducing::loldidntread::migraineinducing:

I mainly just do mechanics but I've been in such a rut i was gonna go to new grounds and see if i can get experience through freelance work but so much better.

Shouting glee is so unprofessional but i dont care HIT ME UP AND LETS WORK SOMETHING OUT

Well, I wouldn't call myself an "Artist" (since sometimes even I hate my own work) but I do draw quite a bit, hence my profile picture. I don't really have a good tablet or anything to draw on my PC with as of currently, but I suppose I could help you out in the future if my other friend who also codes games doesn't need my help. As of now, I'm just trying to get through coding so that I could also work on some Sourcemod stuff, since it's similar to C#/C++. Plus, I figured the design stuff could come after I figure the coding, since I need to practice it (as well as use Unity templates for coding practice instead of making models)

Yeah, I'm just trying to learn the basics now, and possibly make a little demo of a game while doing so. The other project I plan on doing will easily take me 2+ years even after I know how to code

yea well if you need unity tutorials i have shit tons of content you might find what you are looking for or whatever, just ask, there are plenty of programmers here better than me more familiar with scripting,

im going to bed for awhile

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I actually learned sourcepawn (the language used in sourcemod plugins) before I even touched C++. It's quite a bit less complex than c++, and not too hard to pick up on (especially if you have any programming experience in another language). Just a thought.

Are you gonna make this whole game by yourself, Bone? If you go for help, don't forget this handy snicker-snack of information; Somebody's GOTTA be the heavy. Don't be afraid to go 70/30 on talent if it makes you happier with your product!

...But if you -are- making it alone, welcome to hell! It's gonna take a lot of time and work, but you too could be the next Axiom Verge. I believe in you! +1

Are you gonna make this whole game by yourself, Bone? If you go for help, don't forget this handy snicker-snack of information; Somebody's GOTTA be the heavy. Don't be afraid to go 70/30 on talent if it makes you happier with your product!

...But if you -are- making it alone, welcome to hell! It's gonna take a lot of time and work, but you too could be the next Axiom Verge. I believe in you! +1

Yup. I'm even re-teaching myself to draw to finish the character designs. I've already learned a bit of coding as well. I've got a buddy of mine who can help me out, but he's also working on a game, so I may be doing it all myself in the end.

And thanks, I hope I'll actually be able to finish it