Forest

Forum Updates - Suggestions

Is there a way to implement credits for people who join teamspeakerinos? Make teamspeak alive since I always see the same group of people. Would be nice to see new faces in teamspeak.

because people should totally be awarded for being in the AFK channel for 12 hours. ....yeah...no

because people should totally be awarded for being in the AFK channel for 12 hours. ....yeah...no

no way in hell we gonna reward people who are afk... come on man no point of having this suggestion if that was a thing.

I'd imagine they could make it to where you can't receive credits in the AFK channel. Use your head, my dude.

This ^

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

So, I'm curious to know as I've noticed that whenever a mass closure of Member Subs (Accepted/Declined) happens, it ends up completely filling the New Posts section of the Forums. I realize that it isn't common for this to happen, but it does happen every month or so and it completely buries all other threads (in general, not just Member Subs) which can effectively shut down the visibility of a thread or anything.

I'm wondering if there was some sort of change or function that could be implemented for Higher-Ups to utilize when dealing with the closure of a Member Submission? As an example, maybe a checkbox of sorts [Accepted/Declined] that will notify the user who posted the thread that their Application was Accepted or Declined that only Higher-Ups could access?

In other words, anything that could effectively replace a Higher-Up from actually posting in the thread (thus bumping it in Recent Posts) to prevent excess bumping of Member Submissions and the burying of other [un]related posts/threads @Rhododendron @Aegean

EDIT: @virr raised a good point that the "Delete thread" process could be re-worked or otherwise improved on for this sort of thing as it notifies the User. Is there a way this could be utilized for new options such as "Accepted" or "Declined" that closes the thread and notifies?

Edited by Forest (see edit history)

So, I'm curious to know as I've noticed that whenever a mass closure of Member Subs (Accepted/Declined) happens, it ends up completely filling the New Posts section of the Forums. I realize that it isn't common for this to happen, but it does happen every month or so and it completely buries all other threads (in general, not just Member Subs) which can effectively shut down the visibility of a thread or anything.

I'm wondering if there was some sort of change or function that could be implemented for Higher-Ups to utilize when dealing with the closure of a Member Submission? As an example, maybe a checkbox of sorts [Accepted/Declined] that will notify the user who posted the thread that their Application was Accepted or Declined that only Higher-Ups could access?

In other words, anything that could effectively replace a Higher-Up from actually posting in the thread (thus bumping it in Recent Posts) to prevent excess bumping of Member Submissions and the burying of other [un]related posts/threads @Rhododendron @Aegean

Not a bad idea, after this week though the mass opening or closing at least based on membership apps should never happen again. I'll talk to silence and see if he can code something up for it where it doesn't clutter the new threads

Maybe add an option to notify users when we change their ranks on forums? And then simply close the thread with no message?

[ATTACH=full]28261[/ATTACH]

I would like this if this can be alongside having an Accepted / Declined bar beside the thread as well that higherups can set.

agyazo.com_4b439c9ec202daec5cb4528b54286841.png.09423f971f3d8cdf6203ada857c1779d.png

So imagine instead of TF2 it says Accepted or Declined

I would like this if this can be alongside having an Accepted / Declined bar beside the thread as well that higherups can set.

[ATTACH=full]28272[/ATTACH]

that would be cool, i agree

Since it's something that hasn't been brought up in a while, and the forums have been updated quite a bit since we got rid of it, I'm wondering if it's possible to bring back the /xG/ anonymous forum? I don't know why I randomly thought of it out of the blue, but it was a fun feature while we had it and was generally enjoyed by the community. If it's a possibility once again it might be worth considering.

[ATTACH=full]28272[/ATTACH]

Wait wut ._.

Also, I have a forum suggestion.

We REALLY need an "off-topic" forum in the creative section,because, say, someone wants to ask "who likes to cook?" and share some of their favorite recipe websites, and others can then share their recipes as well.

Forums like this help to build community & friendships, and beyond just video games*

Yeah, I know about the forums in creative section, and that's great! But what about all the other arts and hobbies in the world? It'd be weird to post something off-topic on one of the creative section forums, and also weird to post in the general forum as well.

Edited by james8470 (see edit history)

Wait wut ._.

We REALLY need an "off-topic" forum in the creative section,because, say, someone wants to ask "who likes to cook?" and share some of their favorite recipe websites, and others can then share their recipes as well.

Forums like this help to build community & friendships, and beyond just video games*

Yeah, I know about the forums in creative section, and that's great! But what about all the other arts and hobbies in the world? It'd be weird to post something off-topic on one of the creative section forums, and also weird to post in the general forum as well.

Honestly something like that can be posted in General every once in a while, but we can always discuss if we think we need an off topic section

Wait wut ._.

I agree with having a forum section where we can just talk about anything unrelated to gaming. Although we do already have a lot of sections covering different aspects such as artwork and music and these sections get little to no attention so an off topic section could also be a ghost town.

I agree with having a forum section where we can just talk about anything unrelated to gaming. Although we do already have a lot of sections covering different aspects such as artwork and music and these sections get little to no attention so an off topic section could also be a ghost town.

Honestly, the best solution would be to throw all of the smaller off topic ones in one big section, call it "off-topic" or "irl" or something. Would clean up forums a bit and maybe see a bit more traffic

Not so sure it's worth going through the trouble of implementing anything over something that seems so minor and trivial.

Though it is worth noting that this is a Gaming Community, so it makes sense that sections related to 'Music' or 'Drawing' are dead, and honestly I don't really see that as a problem. The only reason they're there is to provide an outlet should anyone feel like posting specifics.

If anything, I would just consider removing them altogether or just merging them (remove specifics like MS Paint, Sprays, and keep Drawings). Reason being that the 'General' section is a section for practically anything in general, which can include [but is not limited to] drawing, music and the like. Sort of makes the existence of any other specific section moot in a way. I mean, I would go so far as to say that the General section makes up the majority of activity and threads to begin with. But even then, I see no reason to remove those sections as they aren't really doing any harm; at the most, they encourage people to share their opinions/thoughts on topics outside of the whole gaming spectrum.

Aside from that, I don't really see the need/benefit to promote sections that don't exactly pertain to Xeno Gamers as a whole, especially if they don't receive any attention to begin with. As previously mentioned, the existence of those sections is purely for convenience. The attention/resources could be better spent on higher priorities like Servers, Social Media, YouTube, etc. If grave digging is the problem here, then just implement a small rule stating that it doesn't apply to 'Creative' sections of the Forums.

EDIT: apologies in advance for this long-ass post, I swear it wasn't supposed to be this long :coffee:

Quoting myself from a previous thread (source) because this is somewhat relevant to the whole "make a new board" concept. Also, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly be "off-topic" when posting in the General section of forums.

As Silence so eloquently put it: ai.gyazo.com_ba41160f98bd7f4347ce661786526f78.png.4cfdc180bc60a0e6b1605229c460a3a9.png

As for the whole anonymous board, it's pretty well exactly as Silence put it back in the day; a 'Bad Idea'. The concept was that it would allow Players to speak out against abusive Staff without fear of being judged or scorned. That being said, it just turned into a place where people would fling insults, flame each other, and just spawn racist or offensive shit-storms that no gaming community would want to be associated with. I don't think it would be the best idea unless rules were to be put in place that rule against any derogatory, offensive or graphic content; however, even then I would still be hesitant because we're a Gaming community, not a discussion forum for Politics/Religion/etc. If anything, see if you can convince @Rhododendron to create a separate blog or something for that kind of content. The Xeno Gamers' forums should remain focused around gaming and other creative interests in my opinion :coffee: