MineCrack

The Minecraft Server And Feedback Thread.

Alright, so there is a lot of topics I want to discuss so I will be leaving this in general for more feedback and information from the community (specifically people that played today).

Prior to release

Prior to Saturday, we only had one builder(Rukibah) working on the Faction world spawn. The task at hand was rather daunting and large scale so it was taking some time while our deadline was coming up on Saturday. We had Klure (our creative spawn builder) come on and assist with building the spawn. There was simply too much to be done and spawn was not finished by Saturday. Owl and I had the simple solution to call any xG member willing to work on building.

This basically assembled a team of roughly 8 builders. At this point on Saturday, it was very apparent we would not meet our deadline so we decided to release the server today(Sunday). Although all of the intended building was finished, spawn's quality was severely lowered due to the time frame that was given and everything straying away from the original builder's design. It was rushed and we should not have released the server.

Deadlines

After discussion between staff, deadlines were set for the server release. This is a bad idea, and I apologize for not speaking up on this matter. We will not give any release date or ETA for anything minecraft related in the future. It sets unrealistic expectations on people that have other things to do and also that do not have a drive to work on minecraft 24/7. In the future we will only provide a release date when we know the server is tested and ready for people to actively play on it.

The release

The release of the actual server today was fairly mediocre for several reasons.

• I had not been able to fully test permissions in an environment where players are actively trying to play the game normally. I resolved most, if not all, issues with permissions at the expense of causing the server to lag for almost a minute at a time per reload of the configuration.
  • Some plugins were not configured properly, mainly factions. I did brief testing to see if the plugin worked and did not actually do a gameplay test. This resulted in people having to use faction ranks in order to allow other people to build in their faction (sorry).
  • Spawn, well, did not look to good. I am no builder but the general concensus was that spawn did not look good. The actual town that spawn was hosting was rushed and it was very obvious (it was not your fault either). Do not take this as an insult to anyone that has helped work on building, I appreciate your hard work.
  • The store of the server was not up, however this is somewhat irrelevant. Some people were asking for this though. I was going to throw up a buycraft page but realized we would not need it.

There are more reasons but these were the ones that stuck out the most to me. Every other issue ties in with these.

The future

Releasing the server actually provided me with lessons in which will help me improve the server. With that being said, the server will be shutdown and return when it is finished. A short list of things that will be done before the next release:

• A new spawn will be built that will take the form of a hub. This will provide us with a re-usable spawn that can support server expansion in the future if minecraft takes off. Faction spawn will also be remade.
  • I will work on the game content. This will include things people requested today upon release and anything people recommend in this thread. Specifically Mcmmo being the biggest thing people requested will be added.
  • We will do actual live play testing. Today actually turned out to be really good for me and owl because we got a good understanding where the server stood and what we need to do to improve it. Play testing will also allow me to fix anything permission or plugin related.
  • This will give us more time to come up with more EULA compliant donator benefits.

Please post CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and feedback. Feel free to recommend ideas or themes for the new hub/spawn. I also apologize to anyone who wanted to play on the server, even though it is at a functional state we will be closing the server. Anyways, thanks for reading.

Edited by MineCrack (see edit history)

After discussion between staff, deadlines were set for the server release. This is a bad idea, and I apologize for not speaking up on this matter. We will not give any release date or ETA for anything minecraft related in the future. It sets unrealistic expectations on people that have other things to do and also that do not have a drive to work on minecraft 24/7. In the future we will only provide a release date when we know the server is tested and ready for people to actively play on it.

Deadlines are great, but don't make it a set day out of a month. Make it a set month out of the year (Ex: August 2016). It will cause you guys less stress, and still allow people to be hyped for what you're releasing.

Not having deadlines shows that you guys are too busy with real life stuff, too lazy to accomplish anything, or have too high expectations for things on the server.

The Release

Don't think of last night's "release" as a finished product. Think of it more as a test run. You had people on, you saw what was alright and what wasn't. Now you guys can fix the issues now that you have a better idea of what's wrong.

Everything was pretty cool when I was on the server last evening though. Hope to see the server finished soon.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Deadlines are great, but don't make it a set day out of a month. Make it a set month out of the year (Ex: August 2016). It will cause you guys less stress, and still allow people to be hyped for what you're releasing.

Not having deadlines shows that you guys are too busy with real life stuff, too lazy to accomplish anything, or have too high expectations for things on the server.

It was a mixture of everything. I was really unmotivated to get on and work on the server since building was not being done.

Don't think of last night's "release" as a finished product. Think of it more as a test run. You had people on, you saw what was alright and what wasn't. Now you guys can fix the issues now that you have a better idea of what's wrong.

Everything was pretty cool when I was on the server last evening though. Hope to see the server finished soon.

Yes, I covered all of this in my OP.

If anyone has suggestions please leave some. Take note to not make suggestions on the current faction spawn, that is getting tossed completely.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

is the server already down?

Read the following:

Alright, so there is a lot of topics I want to discuss so I will be leaving this in general for more feedback and information from the community (specifically people that played today).

Prior to release

Prior to Saturday, we only had one builder(Rukibah) working on the Faction world spawn. The task at hand was rather daunting and large scale so it was taking some time while our deadline was coming up on Saturday. We had Klure (our creative spawn builder) come on and assist with building the spawn. There was simply too much to be done and spawn was not finished by Saturday. Owl and I had the simple solution to call any xG member willing to work on building.

This basically assembled a team of roughly 8 builders. At this point on Saturday, it was very apparent we would not meet our deadline so we decided to release the server today(Sunday). Although all of the intended building was finished, spawn's quality was severely lowered due to the time frame that was given and everything straying away from the original builder's design. It was rushed and we should not have released the server.

Deadlines

The release

• I had not been able to fully test permissions in an environment where players are actively trying to play the game normally. I resolved most, if not all, issues with permissions at the expense of causing the server to lag for almost a minute at a time per reload of the configuration.
  • Some plugins were not configured properly, mainly factions. I did brief testing to see if the plugin worked and did not actually do a gameplay test. This resulted in people having to use faction ranks in order to allow other people to build in their faction (sorry).
  • Spawn, well, did not look to good. I am no builder but the general concensus was that spawn did not look good. The actual town that spawn was hosting was rushed and it was very obvious (it was not your fault either). Do not take this as an insult to anyone that has helped work on building, I appreciate your hard work.
  • The store of the server was not up, however this is somewhat irrelevant. Some people were asking for this though. I was going to throw up a buycraft page but realized we would not need it.

There are more reasons but these were the ones that stuck out the most to me. Every other issue ties in with these.

The future

Releasing the server actually provided me with lessons in which will help me improve the server. With that being said, the server will be shutdown and return when it is finished. A short list of things that will be done before the next release:

• A new spawn will be built that will take the form of a hub. This will provide us with a re-usable spawn that can support server expansion in the future if minecraft takes off. Faction spawn will also be remade.
  • I will work on the game content. This will include things people requested today upon release and anything people recommend in this thread. Specifically Mcmmo being the biggest thing people requested will be added.
  • We will do actual live play testing. Today actually turned out to be really good for me and owl because we got a good understanding where the server stood and what we need to do to improve it. Play testing will also allow me to fix anything permission or plugin related.
  • This will give us more time to come up with more EULA compliant donator benefits.

Please post CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and feedback. Feel free to recommend ideas or themes for the new hub/spawn. I also apologize to anyone who wanted to play on the server, even though it is at a functional state we will be closing the server. Anyways, thanks for reading.

so the server is down until further notice

Read the following:

Prior to release

Deadlines

The release

The future