Lisa (series)

Game Name:

Lisa the First

Lisa the Painful

Lisa the Joyful

Platform:

Windows

MAC OS

Linux (Lisa The First to my knowledge is NOT on Linux)

Time Spent: (A rough estimate is fine if the game doesn't track it)

Roughly 30 hours on all 3 parts combined

Do you recommend?

Lisa The First: Yes, however, you can skip this one if you want, it doesn't have a real affect to it's sequels it's more of a starting point to get you ready for the depressing world of the next two.

Lisa The Painful: Yes

Lisa The Joyful: Yes

What you rate the game: (1 to 10)

Lisa The First: 7

Lisa The Painful: 9.5

Lisa The Joyful: 8

Initial Thoughts:

My Initial thought was: "What the fuck is this pixelated garbage that people are going crazy about whenever i hear someone talk about Undertale?" After doing some research, i found the idea and the premise of Lisa incredibly interesting. So i thought to myself, if i'm going to play it, i'm going to start from the beginning with Lisa the first. Eventually curious to see how the series turns out, i continued onto Lisa the Painful and then Joyful.

Pros: (At least 2 reasons)

Lisa the First:

First of all, this game isn't like the other two. It's more of an adventure game with puzzles that you solve to continue Lisa's perspective as it gives a real odd look at her relationship with Marty, her care giver who raped, abused, her and her brother Brad, (who is the protagonist of Lisa the Painful.). Mainly the reason for why you should play this isn't for the gameplay IMO but it's a great starting point in understanding how Lisa's mind deteriorates and how Marty will always be there, no matter what happens, she can't run from the pain.

Another positive is that it's free to try it, so if you're on the fence on the series, give it a play, it's about an hour to 3 hours to complete, depending if you can get through the puzzles.

avignette4_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_3_34_Tn_nlisa_pnd39db16fb1af47710b6ba209248630ae.png.245dab1113ce0be4aad27871a49c855f.png

Lisa The Painful:

This is the cream of the crop. This game is set years after civilization has broken down and there are no women. However, Brad (our protagonist of the game), comes across a baby girl, who he names, Buddy. Brad sees this as the chance of redemption, to protect this girl from the world, where he couldn't protect Lisa from Marty. The game's combat is turn based however, you may also make use of combos to with the keyboard to yield extra damage. The story progresses and your decisions have a direct impact on the gameplay. I will not spoil any of these decisions, just be ready for them when they come. Not only are the story and combat fantastic but one that doesn't get enough credit, is it's VERY unique soundtrack and that is perhaps one of my favorite in any video i have ever played. I would also like to point out that all is not completely dreary. The game somehow incorporates humor in this very odd world both normal and dark humor. There is also a ton of side party members and side things to do that, so matter how many hours i spent playing this game, i still haven't found every party member or secret.

avignette3_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_6_60_Brad_png_refcbd10aa8f5ea2e8a9b2bc0eec30eea2.png.91e23399550c8d269c3c9daf9823a208.png

Lisa The Joyful:

First of all, this game is very polarizing and the community is very split on it. Half either loves it or hates it, most of the people i have talk to about it have the same opinion mentioned before so take it with a grain of salt. The game is much harder as you control our new protagonist Buddy (Nancy 'Buddy' Armstrong) the little girl from the previous game. The game retains it's great music, gameplay, and heart wrenching but at times, funny story. It's hard to talk about this game without getting into spoilers especially if you haven't play the Painful. So pretty much, if you like this game, you must play this DLC at least once.

avignette1_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_b_bf_Buddy4_png_fa6e7010e06f7d7b2f08f32007898fb7.png.3f34fbe9063141dca613795cd784abc4.png

Cons: (At least 2 reasons)

Lisa The First:

First of all, there is no combat in this game. Just very vague and confusing puzzles and at times, i wouldn't blame you if you used a guide especially when you find out there is a TRUE ending. The game also comes with very frustrating puzzles, most noticably and imfamous are the Marty spiders, that if you touch, even the smallest pixel, will send you back to the start of the puzzle and if you mess up in placing a rock to block one of them, you have to leave the area and come back for the rock to be set back into place, this also includes when you're on the last spider puzzle in a dungeon, if you mess up, you have to move all the way back. it's a real pain.

avignette3_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_9_9a_First_Spide2e8894b56ecd22e848a4c8b43733a3ff.png.43500d26ae2da3489f5924e9df0b0156.png

Lisa The Painful:

There is no real negative in this game. It's mainly based on whether you can deal with RPG maker combat and the very depressing story. One pain in the butt are the cliffs, if you fall off a cliff IT'S GAME OVER so save often and pay attention to ledges. (on hard mode you can only save once per save point so be careful). Also, to some, the ammount of directions you can go to, can overwhelm some people so take it slow.

avignette2_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_e_e5_Area2Map_pn25dd87d911fdf875a7472ec2ee9cc2e8.thumb.png.fd5583aaecc5d8d5c7872ce0d2831920.png

Lisa The Joyful:

Most of the problems that revolve around Joyful, is that it just isn't as good as The Painful. Some blame circulates over the main protagonist Buddy, so if you hate buddy, you may not like your main character because she doesn't really change and her ideals are different than that of Brad's. The music is also not as memorable as Painful but it's still pretty good in it's own right.

avignette2_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_5_5a_Lisa_Joyfulcde590496ce44d25933aa51da163cee0.jpg.c2f29c2e99b65f1b20837cb7dbfea8d5.jpg

Final Thoughts:

This game series is in my top 10 greatest games of all time. The hopelessness of the world they live in depressing story as well as great music and some fun gameplay add to it's legacy. It's not a very well known title but it was made by a single person: Austin Jorgensen who dedicated the game to his greatest idol, his father Brad. My final analysis and reconmendation to you is that you play this game and go on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Lisa The First IS NOT required to know or understand the story. It's there to build lore and give in insight on the mind of Lisa, Brad's sister. However, if you do play The Painful, i recommend playing Joyful at least once even if you hate it.

Before I played Lisa:

avignette3_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_7_75_W2D_gif_rev4cc2e8ad0aa236c39a0a09f0dcd86272.gif.e6e300aee090bcb94ae9886c3f3af9cb.gif

After:

avignette1_wikia_nocookie_net_lisa_rpg_images_8_80_Dead_gif_refb7de153dcc9be29828bd08de8e17da9.gif.9c3b23ea8bc5b855c92913166c7b4470.gif

Edited by Vector (see edit history)

btw fyi you can check on the steam store to see what os are supported.

[ATTACH=full]27541[/ATTACH]

Right, but Lisa the first is NOT on steam and according to others lisa the first cannot run on linux because the tool to create the first is not the same as Painful and Joyful. However i'm not positive.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)