OneGlove

Obstacle Course (tf2 Server Idea)

Obstacle Course gamemode?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Obstacle Course gamemode?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Possibly/Yes AND No.

Hey all, thanks for clicking on the thread. I was playing on DeathRun today, and strangely enough I started thinking of JailBreak DeathRun, which got me thinking of Obstacle Course. Which then led to the idea: What if we had a server COMPLETELY dedicated to Obstacle Courses, like with DeathRun? Of course, there comes the issues, such as "What maps? This is completely new." and "What plug-ins will we need, if any?" As for the task of making maps for this game mode, I will step forward and attempt going through the process of making an Obstacle Course map, if need be. If not, we can hopefully always find community peoples who are willing to do so. Also, I do not think that plug-ins would be neccisary, since ususually the only problem would be class speeds. I am really interested to hear the opinions of everyone here, so if you are 100% sure that this is a yes (+1) or no (-1) decision, put a vouch in your comment along with a vote in the poll and an adequate reason. Happy discussing!

~OneGlove

I have had a similar idea for years, ever since I started playing DR on Gmod. The idea was a map that uses only what's known as "Auto traps". Holes that fall through the floor, jumping from platform to platform,

and traps that activate themselves. Basically deadly obstacle courses. The map would also set a bot to constantly be on the BLU team, meaning no one has to perform the task of being the Death, and everyone in

the server can run.

The only issue was making the map, since I never have the time to do so. If you're willing to make a map, I'll certainly help if I can, since I know a few things about Hammer.

As for plugins. I think we could get away with just running the normal DR plugin. As long as it has a permanent BLU team member (or a bot if we can get that to work), it should just run like an obstacle course

with a timer.

I +1 the idea if we can get a test map running on the DR server. This way we could make several maps that feel like a new gamemode without replacing a server.

Er I think there is a game mode for this already. Parkour fortress has been a thing for a while, albeit kind of a dead mode.

Parkour Fortress - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki

Though it's probably not exactly what you guys are thinking of in this thread, just keep in mind how successful previous iterations of it was. I'd like to see the current focus of the servers be more in-line with what we have now, like finishing VSH.

Er I think there is a game mode for this already. Parkour fortress has been a thing for a while, albeit kind of a dead mode.

Parkour Fortress - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki

Though it's probably not exactly what you guys are thinking of in this thread, just keep in mind how successful previous iterations of it was.

I used to play a lot of PF, it was pretty popular a couple years back. PF was a lot more like a Freerunning gamemode than an obstacle course though. Mirror's Edge in TF2, if you will.

I'd like to see the current focus of the servers be more in-line with what we have now, like finishing VSH.

Which is why I suggested it be a part of our DR server. It'd be adding new stuff to a server that still gets pretty decent population. It'd essentially be a DR map without forcing someone to play Death.

This way, worst case scenario if players don't like it, they don't vote for it to be the next map.

Something I forgot to add (or I did and it was sadly looked over) was that this was an idea of obstacle courses from JB maps like Mario and Casuraina, not climb or parkour, though these are also good ideas.

+1 from me.

I've been playing nothing but DR recently, Think its starting to become my new main server lol.

Always will support new gamemodes similar to DR being added.