Chrono

Ttt Discussion

Since nobody wanted to make this after my more than suggestive post in the Game Division thread, here is the thread in the sub-forum that it belongs in for @virr @Vertex and all who want to talk about TTT, the not having a TTT server, and your download times.

My opinions on the matter:

• If it is a good quality server, you will have players that come to it. no matter the download time
  • If you have all custom items (not including maps) available in a workshop pack, you can offer the option of downloading things ahead of time/cutting down the time necessary
  • HTML MOTDs are a huge part of GMOD loading and you can have them interactively link you to the afforementioned workshop pack
  • Maps should only be downloaded from the server and not in a map pack since you only need the map to download you currently play and as I said TTT maps are tiny.
  • all this talk about download times and "optimizing download speeds" is a literal joke. most users who play internet based pc video games will have above average internet, not the national average internet speed from all active internet subscriptions including grandma's dog who uses the new "Apple Bark Commands^tm" (that's sarcasm by the way)
  • TTT is a base game mode included in GMOD. The core server files are literally already installed for you.
  • Maps are small, rounds are short, keeping everyone having fun as quickly as possible once populated
  • Moderating TTT is literally a walk in the park, the base logs with the base TTT are so good a child can effectively moderate.
  • If there are "fundamental issues with a server based on the patchy work of someone learning how to run a server" then you should wipe the server and not make those "fundamental issues", in turn saving you the time of trying to work out someone elses code/setup because it will be exponentially harder/longer.

tagging @Aegean so he sees this and can keep it on topic and semi civil since I am literally working 12hrs/day 6days a weeks right now.

I get that we're all adults and we have lives. but when a year ago it was "close to done" it should have already been done by now.

I plan on implementing the same structure Morbus has since TTT is relatively similar.

• Map changes happen after X rounds and Y minutes. (depending the map)

• Improvements to karma - to curve RDMing for fewer server bans.
    • Attaching higher level mathematics for a better equation.

• Restoration of karma after each map change.

• Implementation of spray bans to remove server bans for this purpose.

• Usage of the current crystal loading screen.

• Higher moderation standards with an emphasis on conflict resolution.
    • Not just looking at logs and slaying and banning people.
    • Additional moderator training where required.

• Continuing the tradition of optimizing server content for faster downloading.

• Preloading at least the five or six most popular maps for less downloading.
    • Only mounting the preload for downloading when one of it's maps is being played.

• Sending all content over steam's workshop CDN and disabling the FastDL.
    • The GMA compression is much stronger and CDN results in faster downloads.

• Stronger map voter algorithm that ensures many maps get played, not the same ones constantly.

• *The ability for moderators to block users from abusing map triggers, instead of banning them.*
    • Where supported on a per map basis.

Edited by Vertex (see edit history)

I'll be done school at the end of April so I'm happy to help populate plus find staff for it once it's ready on a regular basis on top of setting up events for the server

I just reduced the download size of point-shop content from 90mb to 35mb. This will give us a massive advantage over other TTT servers. An average download speed can retrieve all server content (43 player models and lots of hats + trails) in 10s now or a VERY slow one in 60s.

The custom weapons on Morbus are only 11mb and there's a moderate amount of them. These will take a very long time to setup, rebalance and test for TTT though.

It may be possible to get away with keeping and pre-loading the 20 smallest maps. Having only 30s down-time between maps plus anther 15s for instant map vote completion on majority will be amazing! People who've played TTT before will already have a lot of these maps, speeding up the pre-loading process. I'm willing to bet 400mb will compress down to 100mb.

Edited by Vertex (see edit history)

I'm going to start on TTT before the end of the month. Likely in about five days or so.

I just found a very useful Steamworks method for GMOD. It allows server content to be downloaded and mounted after the client has connected to the server. And for maps to be downloaded and cached on the client's hard-drive while they're playing, so they only have to spend a few seconds decompressing them, when the map changes.

It's already been tested and confirmed working on Morbus.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I'm going to start on TTT before the end of the month. Likely in about five days or so.

I just found a very useful Steamworks method for GMOD. It allows server content to be downloaded and mounted after the client has connected to the server. And for maps to be downloaded and cached on the client's hard-drive while they're playing, so they only have to spend a few seconds decompressing them, when the map changes.

It's already been tested and confirmed working on Morbus.

Before the server goes live, please make sure the staff roster is up to date. I think it's important for people playing to know who has powers and whatnot and the current one is incredibly out of date.

@Vertex what's the state of TTT, lemme know when it's ready and we can start doing community events and try to populate it!

I'll try to push fast without custom weapons or a ton administrative tools before I lose interest. But I sadly don't have time to work on TTT again until Friday June 2nd, due to a 40+ hour work-week Monday through Thursday. Last I checked, there was still a couple major problems with the server configuration.