Bone

Deathrun Map That Consists Of Only Minigames

Would you be interested in a Deathrun map that's Minigames?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Deathrun map that's Minigames?

• Yeah, that seems neat
    • No, what are you, stupid?

You're probably wondering "Bone, you recently made a thread about Deathrun maps, you Dingus. Why did you make this one?"

Well, Lardies and Gestlemen, this one's different.

An idea came to me. On occasion, the Death will give freeruns for a specific Minigame to be played. So I figured "Why not cut out all this superfluous Deadly Power-Walking and just skip to the good stuff?". With that I bring you: A DR map that's only Minigames!

...Err, well, not yet anyway. I wanted to get the community's OP-Onion first, since this wouldn't "technically" be a Deathrun map, but could still be pretty dang fun.

The basic idea is: Death is in a control room. He has roughly 30 seconds to hit a button to choose a Minigame before suddenly exploding (to save RED from AFKs). Once a button is hit, all players are teleported to the corresponding Minigame assigned to that button.

The amount Minigames could constantly increase as further iterations of the map are developed upon the community's request. However, the first few ideas are: Sweeper, Obstacle Course, Conveyor Belt Obstacle Course (which I'm told is called "Steady Pace"), a Crush Game, and a Mini Deathrun (you know, since people join the server for it...).

So leave your thoughts/ideas on Minigames here, and if you're a regular DR player, vote on the poll.

Tagging possibly interested DR players: @Thunder @Krampus @Elcark @Matteomax @WubbaLubbaDubDub @Vargas @Floppy @NitNat @Blizzard @Spoopy @Amylicious

I mean, yeah but....why though? Simply put this seems like something that would be better off as a different game mode/server entirely. The minigames always have seemed (to me at least) as more of a reward for having completed the map but not the main incentive for doing so. The incentive has always been running the map itself, and improving oneself at overcoming the various traps and obstacles in doing so. What's the point of reward without risk after all? Honestly something like this seems like it would be incredibly out of place to the typical atmosphere of the deathrun server, and could almost be potentially off putting for casual players who are joining the server for it's namesake. I don't know, I suppose i'll wait and see what others peoples opinions are on this, maybe most people wouldn't mind a break from the typical trap avoidance, but I still feel like this concept would be more befitting on it's own server separate from the deathrun maps entirely.

As an avid DR player (I have 11 days on that server trust me pls?) the minigames are more like a reward like @Elcark said. I would rather have that minigame map thingymajig on another server. It doesn't seem fair to just have a map thats thee equivalent to a fastpass in Disneyland yknow?

Like the idea tho but putting it in DR is a no no

I mean, yeah but....why though? Simply put this seems like something that would be better off as a different game mode/server entirely. The minigames always have seemed (to me at least) as more of a reward for having completed the map but not the main incentive for doing so. The incentive has always been running the map itself, and improving oneself at overcoming the various traps and obstacles in doing so. What's the point of reward without risk after all? Honestly something like this seems like it would be incredibly out of place to the typical atmosphere of the deathrun server, and could almost be potentially off putting for casual players who are joining the server for it's namesake. I don't know, I suppose i'll wait and see what others peoples opinions are on this, maybe most people wouldn't mind a break from the typical trap avoidance, but I still feel like this concept would be more befitting on it's own server separate from the deathrun maps entirely.

As an avid DR player (I have 11 days on that server trust me pls?) the minigames are more like a reward like @Elcark said. I would rather have that minigame map thingymajig on another server. It doesn't seem fair to just have a map thats thee equivalent to a fastpass in Disneyland yknow?

Like the idea tho but putting it in DR is a no no

It could be run on it's own server, sure, but it would use the DR plugin. Deathrun is the optimal gamemode for running something like this due to it's elimination style gameplay and player/weapon restrictions.

Other gamemodes wouldn't work as well and there wouldn't really be a way to choose which Minigame is played unless it's done randomly, but at that point it's essentially TF2ware.

The Minigames would also be inspired by ones that already exist in various DR maps, so DR players would be familiar with them. It's not like the server would run this map 24/7, but it would definitely break the monotony of circling through the same 7 maps over and over again.

But, say we did run it on it's own server, I'd be fine with that. We could replace TF2ware with multiple Minigame maps running a modified version of the Deathrun Redux plugin.

I personally like the idea, even if minigames are rewards like Elcark and Dub said, I've seen a lot of people not playing the game on a freerun just to wait for others to finish the map, and a lot of people ridiculously die during the process (I die in every freerun rip), we can test for a while and see how it goes, maybe players will like it? and if they dont, they will rtv and let us know, so I think we should give it a try.

I dont know what you have in mind @Bone , but will the map contain a regular deathrun too ? that would be great

I dont know what you have in mind @Bone , but will the map contain a regular deathrun too ? that would be great

Actually, yes. I was planning on having a mini version of a Deathrun as a Minigame. This would give the RED team a choice of a Minigame at the end of it, including some that are only available at the end of the Deathrun that the Death can't choose (Humiliation, Instawin, Knife Fight, etc.).

I was also thinking of making the Minigames that Death picks extended versions of themselves. Example: Sweeper would have rounds. The Platforms would get smaller, the Sweeper speeds up, and the general difficulty would increase as the rounds progress. Haven't quite decided on that yet, but it's an idea.

Well, I think it's time I give you guys a peek at the map. (Note: The map is in ALPHA. It will have actual textures and lighting when it's finished, but this version will be for creating/gamemode testing)

Waiting room for RED:20170624110402_1.thumb.jpg.3a49853ae3444ad92bd7d850b901f5b8.jpg

Deathrun Path (Ignore the buttons, they're there for testing):20170626054126_1.thumb.jpg.6b7418f4ab0245ff7327e6fa098df1dd.jpg

Death's Control Room (there will be more buttons like this to choose various minigames) :20170626054202_1.thumb.jpg.4bdb26ed2fd80bb7420535fbfd877026.jpg

Stickies that blow up Death if he doesn't choose a game in 30 seconds:20170626054141_1.thumb.jpg.d6b07417f5833dc3ff733145ef8073a2.jpg

This is only about 1/4 of the map. There will be 3 Minigames Death can choose to start with (more will be added later) and 3 choices for the runners at the end of Deathrun (more might be added...). The Deathrun is also only halfway done and will take the longest to finish. The Minigames are actually easier to make than the DR...

20170626054113_1.thumb.jpg.370719942ed859ef0a84770e6024c207.jpg

Just a quick update on this. I'm still working on it, and here's proof:

apuu.sh_wKfa4_7b34695325.jpg.96add97c8c7538d55cb4c1cffde45cdb.jpg

See? 2 whole new buttons! The map is nearly done (not counting texturing/lighting).

Pretty soon I'll upload a version of the map in this thread that people can download and give me feedback on.

The thought of theme had also occurred to me recently. How's a big simulation/hologram/inside of a computer type deal theme sound? The map keeps reassuring you that everything is working as intended but in reality, it's completely falling apart and dying.

The theme won't be implemented until a later version of the map, it's just something I'm playing around with currently.

Aaaand another update. After talking with a few players in the Deathrun server about themes, the idea of an abandoned military base came up. I liked the idea and started working on it a bit. That idea later evolved into an abandoned Mann Co. Facility. Part Mining facility, part Australium digging site, part weapons testing facility.

Here's a sneak peek at the new theme via the newly revamped spawn area/control room: 20170722082134_1.thumb.jpg.b95aa4e49a5b2358a900962bee9150ca.jpg

Better than the beta GRAY AND ORANGE theme it originally had, the new theme will remain continuous throughout the entire map. The traps, the minigames, everything will stay on theme.

I'm also changing the design of the map slightly. It'll still be a minigames style map, however if the minigames idea doesn't do so good I've set it up to simply have the minigames at the end of the Deathrun and for the map to just change over to being a regular DR map.