Team Fortress 2

In-Game Name:

Brian | im tired of tf2 badmins

Identity:

STEAM_0:0:34560453

Ban Type:

Server Ban

Information:

Okay let's get started. I apologize if it seems I'm rambling, but I'm genuinely upset.

The Facts

• I was playing on the server for nearly 5 hours before I was banned with no prior requests by admins to change my name.

• I did not receive a message prior to this ban that my behavior or name was in anyway shape or form offensive.

• I did not receive a kick, short ban or personal message requesting my name be changed (to which I would have happily obliged) and if I did, I didn't see it as I was engrossed in a tale about ants.

Statement

I disagree that the length of this ban should be so long. I did not receive a formal talking to about my behavior or even a temporary day ban. So why go from zero to one hundred so quickly, especially when I was never punished before it got so out of control. I think it's because the admins have some personal qualm with me. Now, I have never personally met most of these admins, and to be frank I don't care to, as I am no longer an active member of the Team Fortress 2 Division. What I do care about though, is that these admins do their jobs correctly. Even if I was informed to change my name, the length of the ban needs to be discussed.

When I was a member of the staff, we had a simple procedure. It went like this.

1. Verbal Warning

2. Kick from server with reason

3. If they rejoin within the hour and haven't changed, ban them for a day.

4. If it persists, ban them for a week/permanently.

Now, why do I get banned nearly instantaneously for such an extended period? My last ban before this was a server mute, but that was only on one server, and I left immediately after it was issued, and even before then the last ban was back in 2015.

The only logical option is to assume the admins have some sort of personal vendetta against me, which was never stated out loud, evidence by the fact that the ban was for such a long time, there was no recent member protest/ ban request, and the fact that I am posting this thread in shock. I thought we were getting along well in fact. I'll be the first to admit I'm no angel, but if you have issues with me, let's talk it out.

Which brings me to my main issue with the current administration.

Problems with Authority

The Xeno Gamers TF2 Division has become too secretive, and excels in poor communication skills. I am genuinely upset that I was not contacted by any staff member, either by on the forums, or added on steam, or even kicked with a message that says relax. There was zero effort of communication, and the communication that was given was particularly half assed, as not seeing a message in a trade chat results in a one month ban. The only communication the admins appear to have, with a select few who have stood out, particularly Clark and Egossi, is with each other.

Read my ban message here.

banned.thumb.png.613f79cc98c3221e0d19498eec4580a3.png

Now, what history do I have of major toxicity? I have received one mute in the past 6 months, and I still stand by that reasoning that the child was being immature and kept talking. Other than that, there are very few, if any, records of this behavior. Now, if there are records with all of my behavior incidents that was collected but I wasn't punished, shouldn't they have been handled then, instead of making one large folder in case an incident of this nature ever occurred?

Also, why was I banned by a different admin rather than the one who made the claims?

Conclusion

I'm upset. I feel like I wasn't given proper treatment, simply because I was a prior member. The rules have changed, and I feel that a near two years absence (with a bit of playtime here and there) warrants a bit of adjustment to the new rules.

Am I disagreeing with the ban? Yes. But the part I most disagree with is the length of the ban. I would have respected one day, maybe even three days. A month, however, is simply ridiculous. I was not given a proper warning to warrant this length. I wish that my ban be removed entirely, or at least be shortened in length to adjust for the lack of communication on the part of the admins.

Thanks for reading my thread.

TL;DR

• Got a hefty ban with little to no prior warning or punishments and want either an explanation with evidence or an unban.

Okay let's get started. I apologize if it seems I'm rambling, but I'm genuinely upset.

I mean I'm surprised you didn't see this coming. You've been in a lot of trouble pretty recently with multiple staff members with toxicity.

The Facts

• I was playing on the server for nearly 5 hours before I was banned with no prior requests by admins to change my name.

• I did not receive a message prior to this ban that my behavior or name was in anyway shape or form offensive.

• I did not receive a kick, short ban or personal message requesting my name be changed (to which I would have happily obliged) and if I did, I didn't see it as I was engrossed in a tale about ants.

I'll do bullet points to follow up corresponding to your bullet points.

• Each staff is different in how they manage things. Some staff members are more lenient and some are far stricter. There's not much you can do about it really since it mainly comes down to upbringing and personality.
  • [MEDIA=imgur]a/XxtVJ[/MEDIA]

• [MEDIA=imgur]a/XxtVJ[/MEDIA] You should have been paying attention to the chat as well. Unfortunately there's not many ways that staff members can warn you outside of chat so that you can see it easier. It was around 1am BST when I warned you so I can't tell you on mic, though chat is deemed enough by the higherups.

Statement

I disagree that the length of this ban should be so long. I did not receive a formal talking to about my behavior or even a temporary day ban. So why go from zero to one hundred so quickly, especially when I was never punished before it got so out of control. I think it's because the admins have some personal qualm with me. Now, I have never personally met most of these admins, and to be frank I don't care to, as I am no longer an active member of the Team Fortress 2 Division. What I do care about though, is that these admins do their jobs correctly. Even if I was informed to change my name, the length of the ban needs to be discussed.

When I was a member of the staff, we had a simple procedure. It went like this.

1. Verbal Warning

2. Kick from server with reason

3. If they rejoin within the hour and haven't changed, ban them for a day.

4. If it persists, ban them for a week/permanently.

Now, why do I get banned nearly instantaneously for such an extended period? My last ban before this was a server mute, but that was only on one server, and I left immediately after it was issued, and even before then the last ban was back in 2015.

The only logical option is to assume the admins have some sort of personal vendetta against me, which was never stated out loud, evidence by the fact that the ban was for such a long time, there was no recent member protest/ ban request, and the fact that I am posting this thread in shock. I thought we were getting along well in fact. I'll be the first to admit I'm no angel, but if you have issues with me, let's talk it out.

Which brings me to my main issue with the current administration.

The length of the ban is as long as it is because of your ban history and your history of toxicity.

Most recent ban before the month was a week.

You have been punished a lot recently, including warnings and kicks as informed by @Elcark

Usually the procedure goes warn ->kick -> day ban -> week ban -> month ban -> perm. As you had already gone past the week ban stage, it's a month.

I promise I try to be as unbiased as possible. Obviously I'm not perfect and no-one is, but in this situation I tried to be as unbiased as possible including asking other staff in a private discord if it was OK to ban you just in case.

Problems with Authority

The Xeno Gamers TF2 Division has become too secretive, and excels in poor communication skills. I am genuinely upset that I was not contacted by any staff member, either by on the forums, or added on steam, or even kicked with a message that says relax. There was zero effort of communication, and the communication that was given was particularly half assed, as not seeing a message in a trade chat results in a one month ban. The only communication the admins appear to have, with a select few who have stood out, particularly Clark and Egossi, is with each other.

Read my ban message here.

[ATTACH=full]31395[/ATTACH]

Now, what history do I have of major toxicity? I have received one mute in the past 6 months, and I still stand by that reasoning that the child was being immature and kept talking. Other than that, there are very few, if any, records of this behavior. Now, if there are records with all of my behavior incidents that was collected but I wasn't punished, shouldn't they have been handled then, instead of making one large folder in case an incident of this nature ever occurred?

Also, why was I banned by a different admin rather than the one who made the claims?

There was communication as included in the screenshots. [MEDIA=imgur]a/XxtVJ[/MEDIA] There was also a discussion with @Natsu and @Elcark at the time in the admin chat.

As stated previously, word is that you've been in a lot of trouble with passive aggressive comments, warnings and kicks with multiple staff members. That's why I requested that to be the reason as well as the name.

Chatlogs provided by @Vexx :

ai.imgur.com_yHUxdId.thumb.png.593be8635f86e853567db4a8ccfb26bb.png

ai.imgur.com_gbZNMPT.thumb.png.d369eb58847943e9eb7e848908d1ebbf.png

Of course having an opinion isn't the problem here. If someone has criticism I will try to hear them out and see if there's any way I can improve if I agree that I'm lacking in a certain area. However, your comments are clearly to instigate with staff.

Hopefully this ban has been cleared up to you.

Your previously block was from the night before and was due to your incredibly rude and disrespectful behavior both to a player and staff. Your outright demand that this player be muted was due solely to their voice being immature, while their behavior was perfectly in check, and based of an outdated and heavily changed rule.

You did not leave immediately after this, and choose to instead argue with staff further using admin chat, and it was some time after being addressed and explained to that you choose to even further antagonize staff and then leave immediately after. Your continued attempt to get around the gag for the purpose of attacking others would have landed you a kick had you not left, and quite frankly you should have been banned at that point.

The name you choose to use today was very clearly aimed at your frustration over what had occurred and showed an absolute lack of improvement to your behavior on your part.

I've heard of you having behavioral problems recently, though others would be more enlightened to any such occurrences than me as I only have experience as to these specific two situations. Overall though, I feel the ban, as well as the time of it due to previous offenses, is very much justified at this point.

I promise I try to be as unbiased as possible. Obviously I'm not perfect and no-one is, but in this situation I tried to be as unbiased as possible including asking other staff in a private discord if it was OK to ban you just in case.

And I appreciate it, however...

Usually the procedure goes warn ->kick -> day ban -> week ban -> month ban -> perm. As you had already gone past the week ban stage, it's a month.

Is blatantly false, unless you are referring to the bans that occurred two and three years ago, in which case is even more ridiculous.

Your previously block was from the night before and was due to your incredibly rude and disrespectful behavior both to a player and staff. Your outright demand that this player be muted was due solely to their voice being immature, while their behavior was perfectly in check, and based of an outdated and heavily changed rule.

You did not leave immediately after this, and choose to instead argue with staff further using admin chat, and it was some time after being addressed and explained to that you choose to even further antagonize staff and then leave immediately after. Your continued attempt to get around the gag for the purpose of attacking others would have landed you a kick had you not left, and quite frankly you should have been banned at that point.

The name you choose to use today was very clearly aimed at your frustration over what had occurred and showed an absolute lack of improvement to your behavior on your part.

I've heard of you having behavioral problems recently, though others would be more enlightened to any such occurrences than me as I only have experience as to these specific two situations. Overall though, I feel the ban, as well as the time of it due to previous offenses, is very much justified at this point.

Do two incidents, one of which I was already punished for, really justify a ban for an entire month, especially when today alone I saw cases where two people were typing the n-word and using homophobic langauge, yet nothing was done? Do you believe that my ban deserves to be a month long, only for a name change?

I do appreciate the fact that you have logs showing that you did in fact warn him to change his name, however the fact he didn't respond to you at all means he might not have seen it so try to keep that in mind in the future. Regardless, his name was to trigger the staff which is why I do believe he should have got punished in some sort if people did get offended which apparently they did.

The issue I have was he had a name that upset staff, so you decided a month ban was the right decision? He got a week ban 2 years ago about call admin, and the previous day ban before that was something he got pardoned for. If you're going to go off his history, please try to use some discretion and understand that although we have a system for how we ban, I feel like it should be common sense that someone who didn't get punished for years shouldn't automatically get a more severe punishment their next offense, regardless of when it occurred or the level of offense.

Context matters a lot for staff, and I would prefer you guys think about issues critically before blindly following a guide that is meant to give you a foundation when trying to uphold the rules instead of it being the golden guide that should be followed to a T.

Edited by Aegean (see edit history)

I do appreciate the fact that you have logs showing that you did in fact warn him to change his name, however the fact he didn't respond to you at all means he might not have seen it so try to keep that in mind in the future. Regardless, his name was to trigger the staff which is why I do believe he should have got punished in some sort if people did get offended which apparently they did.

The issue I have was he had a name that upset staff, so you decided a month ban was the right decision? He got a week ban 2 years ago about call admin, and the previous day ban before that was something he got pardoned for. If you're going to go off his history, please try to use some discretion and understand that although we have a system for how we ban, I feel like it should be common sense that someone who didn't get punished for years shouldn't automatically get a more severe punishment their next offense, regardless of when it occurred or the level of offense.

Context matters a lot for staff, and I would prefer you guys think about issues critically before blindly following a guide that is meant to give you a foundation when trying to uphold the rules instead of it being the golden guide that should be followed to a T.

I warned him twice just to check if he was paying attention. He clearly wasn't so I just banned him.

Is blatantly false, unless you are referring to the bans that occurred two and three years ago, in which case is even more ridiculous.

If someone hasn't changed in the last few years then the punishment system clearly needs to continue. They haven't reformed as a person so myself and the TF2 higheurps believe that the system should continue, regardless of how long ago the bans were.

I warned him twice just to check if he was paying attention. He clearly wasn't so I just banned him.

Isn't that when you should've kicked instead of banning..? Not everyone in the game reads chat, I do agree a month ban was excessive, I think you jumped the gun here when you saw what happened years ago.

+1 for shortening ban a little bit.

@Kypari does sourcebans being disabled also prevent being able to be kicked? I'm asking that as a legitimate question.

Also, I would like to hear the feedback from @Bello, @Vexx, @Sesh and @mrnutty12. You guys believe this warrants a month ban despite his last ban being over 2 years ago over something unrelated? I personally find a 1 month ban over his name insanely excessive, especially after his previous ban being so long ago.

Tagging @virr as well since I appreciate his input.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

@Kypari does sourcebans being disabled also prevent being able to be kicked? I'm asking that as a legitimate question.

Also, I would like to hear the feedback from @Bello, @Vexx, @Sesh and @mrnutty12. You guys believe this warrants a month ban despite his last ban being over 2 years ago over something unrelated? I personally find a 1 month ban over his name insanely excessive, especially after his previous ban being so long ago.

Sourcebans being a bit messed up does nothing with kicks. Sourcebans only records mutes and bans, which will keep a player banned from all servers. With Sourcebans not working correctly on TGH, it only keeps bans and mutes for a client session or until a map change. As for the month ban, it is following standard procedure. There really is no falloff to punishments, and if there needs to be one we could talk about getting one. Though, in the event there is a falloff for bans, we would most likely have to start unbanning permanently banned players after said falloff date, which would make a permanent ban useless.

Edit: Kypari also stated that the user was kicked and warned the night before by another staff member, so the user was warned for his rule-breaking activity, albeit a day before this incident.

Sourcebans being a bit messed up does nothing with kicks. Sourcebans only records mutes and bans, which will keep a player banned from all servers. With Sourcebans not working correctly on TGH, it only keeps bans and mutes for a client session or until a map change. As for the month ban, it is following standard procedure. There really is no falloff to punishments, and if there needs to be one we could talk about getting one. Though, in the event there is a falloff for bans, we would most likely have to start unbanning permanently banned players after said falloff date, which would make a permanent ban useless.

Okay I'll just give you an example then, if I'm a member of this community and I freekilled enough to get a week ban, if in over 2 years I freekilled someone again, do I deserve a month ban?

@Kypari if kicks aren't an issue, I would definitely recommend using a kick to get someone's attention if it is something as minor as a name. This gives the person a surefire way to get your message, and you can prevent issues like this in the future where the person might not have seen a warning.

Okay I'll just give you an example then, if I'm a member of this community and I freekilled enough to get a week ban, if in over 2 years I freekilled someone again, do I deserve a month ban?

Well in the event it was accidental, no. But if it was an intentional freekill, and you had been warned and kicked up to this point, then yeah it would be a month ban since you knew it was against the rules, and knew you would eventually face repercussions for it. Once again, if you'd like we can add a falloff date for bans to about a year or so, but it's something I highly would not recommend.