james8470

[Poll] Factions or Towny

Factions VS Towny  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Factions VS Towny

• Replace Towny with Factions
    • Keep Towny

Please read before you vote:

Factions allows you to claim land from other factions if you have more collective power then they do and allows you to use TnT cannons to bust into other factions and steal their items by blasting open their chests. It encourages large obsidian bases with water surrounding them, and elaborate TnT cannon designs to break though them. It also encourages PvP.

Towny completely secures your buildings. TnT won't affect your town (unless the mayor toggles it, but why would you?), and no one can claim land from you. It encourages larger settlements based more around aesthetic design rather than security and practicality. It also discourages PvP.

Please leave you comments as well, we can always do something a little different such as keeping towny, but forcing PvP on in all towns.

Please read before you vote:

Factions allows you to claim land from other factions if you have more collective power then they do and allows you to use TnT cannons to bust into other factions and steal their items by blasting open their chests. It encourages large obsidian bases with water surrounding them, and elaborate TnT cannon designs to break though them. It also encourages PvP.

Towny completely secures your buildings. TnT won't affect your town (unless the mayor toggles it, but why would you?), and no one can claim land from you. It encourages larger settlements based more around aesthetic design rather than security and practicality. It also discourages PvP.

Please leave you comments as well, we can always do something a little different such as keeping towny, but forcing PvP on in all towns.

towny gets boring once you actually finish the game but factions stays for a much longer time because it is competitive.

just gonna copy paste this from the other thread

To fix the problem of "New factions aren't going to be able to do anything because they would get murdered by the bigger ones!" Maybe there could be a command that leaders of the factions could do that could switch them from "passive" to "hostile" at a price meaning that if you are passive people can't conquer you and you can't conquer others and hostile being just a switch around of that and you need to pay some credits to switch between the 2?

towny gets boring once you actually finish the game but factions stays for a much longer time because it is competitive.

just gonna copy paste this from the other thread

To fix the problem of "New factions aren't going to be able to do anything because they would get murdered by the bigger ones!" Maybe there could be a command that leaders of the factions could do that could switch them from "passive" to "hostile" at a price meaning that if you are passive people can't conquer you and you can't conquer others and hostile being just a switch around of that and you need to pay some credits to switch between the 2?

Yeah I saw what you said, and it is a good idea, but it’s just not possible for us to code our own version of factions. However there is a PVP timer plugin I want to use which should solve the problem of being destroyed as soon as you join the server but that’s it.

If you want a peaceful option, the best we can do is have a server for each gamemode

Edited by james8470 (see edit history)

As an aesthetics person I think it Factions will give a fun new perspective to the server, but I'm just going to be on edge all the time, also will the map boundary be turned off? if not you may want to leave it as towny, so as not to create basically an arena.

Maybe we can create a bunch of arenas throughout the map where if you claim them (if it hasn't been claimed already) and the land around it and another factions leader will have to duel you (lets just say you're a faction leader) and if they win you lose that arena but if you win they must pay some sort of fee. I know this probably isnt possible but I just thought it was a pretty neat idea.

I'm personally not a fan of PvP (unless its in a controlled environment such as an event arena) and know full well that with factions there will be groups just going around constantly lying to and slaying new players and not giving them a chance to actually build a settlement before its destroyed forcing them to leave the server in frustration and most likely not to return.

Therefore because we can't recode factions unless there is another gamemode plugin available which allows weaker players to play peacefully and keep their builds protected I am going to vote for towny but with changed settings to discourage one giant nation being formed against several tiny hamlets.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Therefore because we can't recode factions unless there is another gamemode plugin available which allows weaker players to play peacefully and keep their builds protected I am going to vote for towny but with changed settings to discourage one giant nation being formed against several tiny hamlets.

there isn't any competition in Towny, what would be so bad if there was one big kingdom with multiple hamlets??????????

I think factions will only be fine if we can limit the maximum size of factions otherwise there will be this one giant faction that just obliterates the smaller factions and takes their land, no new player would want to play if that is the case.

I think factions will only be fine if we can limit the maximum size of factions otherwise there will be this one giant faction that just obliterates the smaller factions and takes their land, no new player would want to play if that is the case.

Limit the amount of people allowed to be in a faction, if that is the case. That seems like it would be much easier.

I'm personally not a fan of PvP (unless its in a controlled environment such as an event arena) and know full well that with factions there will be groups just going around 1. constantly lying to and slaying new players and not giving them a chance to 2. actually build a settlement before its destroyed forcing them to leave the server in frustration and most likely not to return.

Some thoughts from a factions vet:

1. Unless there are over a thousand players this wouldnt be a case. Starting in factions will be incredibly easy if it was the size of the towny server. If its really that hard to get out of spawn just add a /tpr (random tp) command.

2. This is why YOU HIDE YOUR BASE. Go a thousands of blocks away from spawn and build a base underground. Try to bust into that. Big factions won't waste time on smaller factions most of the time. Getting raided in faction is a part of the game. If you don't like that go play towney. Even bigger factions get raided.

A solution to solve this:

Add "peaceful" factions. These factions cannot raid, be raided, pvp, be killed in pvp, tnt damage turned off, etc. This is a thing in the factions plugin(Unless I forgot). However though you can't just build up your faction in peaceful and you will need to apply for peaceful flags on the forums etc.

3. There will always be faction superpowers. A faction can Branch into different ones, and have protectorates. Although I'm pretty sure a faction can only have 30 people by default. Again, factions is not designed to be fair and friendly.

Edited by CappyCappy (see edit history)

alright thanks for the input cappy.

seeing as we are currently at 75% vote for factions (I shifted my vote to factions after looking at the plugin in depth). It is very likely we will be going with factions however we will keep this vote up until the end of the week and if the vote is still strongly in favour of factions we will take what as been said in this thread and move it forward into the planning stages.

Time to write a bit of introduction to Factions for other people who don't know how to play it:

What is Factions?

Factions is a gamemode where different factions of players build bases and defend them, meanwhile raiding other factions' bases. However though, it is not just a simple game of base breaching and pvping. Factions is a very complicated gamemode that can be incredibly fun, frustrating, and immersive.

What does Factions offer?

If you think Factions is like Towney where everyone is friendly and everything is fun and games, then sadly, you are wrong. Factions offer many things : Base building(Very Important)! farming stuff just like normal Minecraft, and etc. But, it also offers a new way of fighting your enemies, on a much larger scale. Form Coalitions, Alliances, and etc. With friendly factions. Scout the world for another faction's base. Ambush enemy members. Create Cadet branches and others. Infiltrate and betray an enemy Faction. Suprise attack "ally". Endless possibilities.

Finishing Words

Factions will not be an easy gamemode to start, especially without friends and allies to play with. Getting raided is a part of the game, and you will get raided one day. Don't be frustrated. It's a part of the learning process. Next time you'll learn how to hide your chests, how to create an alternate base. One day, you might just get revenge. Feel the satisfaction when your wither bursts through his obsidian walls. If you like teamplay, base building, raiding, PvP, infiltrate, backstab, politics, and much more, Vote Factions.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Decision is made that the new world will run Factions instead of Towny.

I'd like to remind everyone that just because a poll closes does NOT mean we can suddenly finish quite a bit of work and roll out a completely game-changing update the minute you guys decide you want us to work on it.

So please, stop spamming Amy, Hina, and myself about it! However, if you have any actual questions or suggestions, we're all ears. No suggestion goes unnoticed, even if it goes unacknowledged.

~Thread Closed~