PS Vita, Mobile, and Nintendo Switch

Time Spent: 
130+ hours

Do you recommend?
Yes

What you rate the game:
8.6 / 10

Initial Thoughts:
I bought Deemo off the AppStore on impulse for $2 after getting into rhythm games. Before that game, I had played and enjoyed Groove Coaster, osu!, Cytus and VOEZ. VOEZ and Cytus were made by the same company as Deemo, so I thought: “huh, maybe I’ll like this one, too?” After downloading the game, I was intrigued by the visuals presented at the very start of the game. It was either overly detailed or very symbolic. The music fit very well with the game’s atmosphere and the story was presented in a way that, to me, was very aesthetically pleasing. 

deemo3.jpg.39570b2f2c57b501fd755b729f34402f.jpg

Gameplay and Story:
Moving on to playing the game itself, in the beginning, I was absolute garbage because I couldn’t time my taps right on the bar. Playing the game would be very difficult if you have a hard time with rhythm and hand-eye coordination. 
However, the game had a very interesting UI that kept me playing the game. The songs were beautiful, I thought. The art that accompanied each song was fitting and symbolic as I later found out. 

deemo1.png.2ea30d44e45d665462c49ff55bf90473.png

Everything had meaning in the game and it was clear to me how much love the developers put into making the game.
As I progressed through songs, the story slowly revealed itself. There were no words and hardly any animation. The story was told through pictures and sounds. This was a unique was of telling a story- it seemed almost like a picture book. 
Near the end of the story, it all started coming together neatly with some loose ends. Those loose ends, however, were not the result of lazy story design, but rather they seemed to let the player guess and theorize at how the story happened. 
This game made me tear up at the end, which I haven’t done for a long while, so it was refreshing in a way. 

deemo5.jpg.f22ed397266074b27fd53d2444a06c53.jpg 

Backstory:
The backstory of the game is a mystery when you first start out. The atmosphere created by the visuals and sounds matched this sense of wonder perfectly, imo. More and more is revealed as you go along with the story. 

Pros:

The art is very nice and the symbolism involved keeps me guessing at what it is trying to tell me
The sounds create a fitting atmosphere that never once felt out of place
The story, although possibly cliche, warmed my heart and made me tear up
The backgrounds involved are interactive and interesting to look around

Cons:

The story progresses slowly at times
The gameplay is difficult for those unfamiliar with rhythm games 
Only on PS Vita, Mobile and Switch
Not free

Final Thoughts:
I love this game. I can honestly say that it is my favorite game. However, I know that many people are not as interested in rhythm games, so I cannot give it a 10/10 everyone should play it (even though I want everyone to try it). They are still updating the game with new songs 3 years after release. The DLC for more songs is a must if you want to fully enjoy Deemo, but it’s entirely up to the player and how much they enjoy the game. 

deemo2.jpg.78777b22a349c255f574726fc6394ddd.jpg