FrostyBoiGrim

Lyrical vs Mumble

So I've been listening to RTJ3 again recently, and i thought, hey, rap isn't that bad. I feel that modern rap gets a bad name due to mumble rappers, who are ok, but generally seem to give rap as a style a bad name due to dull beats and autotuned nonsensical lyrics. I personally love lyrical rap with its fist pump EDM and hard hitting lyrics.  

Comparison videos [note: racial language used]: 

I'm going to go of the basis of that awful comparison video, since that seems to be the focus.
I'm also going to go off the base of lyrical meaning that the lyrics of the artists are deep and meaningful, while mumble is just a good beat with some repetitive lyrics that follow suit (i.e. Lil Pump-Gucci Gang).

Eminem, Logic, Tech N9ne, and especially Hopsin are like the Wal-marts of "lyrical" rap. Yeah everyone might listen to them once in awhile, but they're afraid of being judged by it.
Eminem has some deep lyrics, but eh. Logic is the same way; He rubbed me the wrong way when he released his "Suicide Prevention Hotline" track. Saying "Woo!" after asking if anyone else feels the same over a suicide focused song just makes it seem like he is mocking those.
Post Malone-Rockstar should have been put into mumble. I'd personally even consider Congratulations into mumble just for the flow and repetitive lyrics.

The mumble portion felt fine although I'm surprised they didn't stuff Lil Uzi Vert in there.

Lyrical Rap isn't bad and neither is mumble rap, but it honestly just depends on mood. Are you being a big brained king? Then go with lyrical. If you're being a deep fried brain king? Then mumble rap is your pick. Both are great, and I will continue to bump to either of them. Except Eminem, Tech N9ne, and Hopsin. They're just awful in my opinion.

Well, its more the other way around. I simply looked up lyrical vs mumble and that was the first result. Lazy on my part I know, but I feel your response and summary at the end generally sums up my feelings, But I still like the more comedy based Eminem songs like "just lose it". As far as rappers go Logic also rubbed me the wrong way, but more so due to the fact that he has been capitalising other people pain due to their sexual preference or race.

These videos are awful. I've seen these videos before and they piss me off every time I watch them. J Cole, Hopsin, and Logic, while they may be more "lyrical" in the terms of them having more complex wordplay, doesn't necessarily constitute them as "good" artists. Many of their songs are corny, and just as whiny, mundane, egotistical, and selfish as "mumble" rappers songs are. For example, J Cole recently made an album that was advertised to discuss the dangers of drug use and etc. One would expect an album like that to not be about the rapper and their accomplishments (unless it involves drug abuse somehow), but in several songs, with one example being ATM he gloats about his accomplishments and how rap sucks now and poop. This is so fudgeing egotistical to the point where it ruins any real value the songs have. Furthermore, just because lyrical rappers have lyrics that touch on serious issues, it doesn't mean they are hard-hitting or meaningful. Logic made a song called 1-800, which was supposed to address suicide, but I can't take it seriously because the bars are just awful and corny. These rappers are fake deep and act like they tackle important issues, but never bring a solution to them. Like if J cole or Hopsin say drugs are bad, like of fudgeing course i know drugs are bad, like they have no original or interesting opinions or ideas on the issues they discuss. Also rap music isn't just lyrics, a song must also have good production and etc. Like look at Eminem's new album. The beats are awful and while some may think the lyrics are good, his delivery is terrible.

Furthermore, mumble rap is not intended to make the listener think, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Its supposed to be fun and catchy. 

This guy also sucks at trying to classify things.

In the end, both mumble and lyrical rap are stupid fudgeing titles with inaccurate stigmas attached to them.

sorry for writing an essay

-a man that loves music

People take the mumble rap debate way too seriously. Mumble rap is just supposed to be party/car music. I'm not saying it shouldn't be judged by SOME criteria, but basing it on the same criteria as "Lyrical Rap" is disingenuous at best. If your trying to expand your mind by listening to a guy named "Lil Pump" or basically anyway with the word lil in their title, you need to take a few steps back and figure out what the fudge you're trying to get from it. Even lyrical rap is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and this is coming from a guy who's favorite album includes To Pimp a Butterfly. 

The instrumentals in mumble is often better than lyrical in my opinion, but half the time you can barely understand what they're saying and have to look up the lyrics. However, I do really enjoy lyrical because the instrumentals are good but the lyrics are better. You can really understand what kind of picture the artist is painting with their song the first time you hear it.

Not a fan of either at all considering I have had to listen to it for 7 hours straight everyday at work for the past 11 months (help me). Mumble, personally it’s not good, if I can barely understand what you are ‘singing’ it’s not music in my eyes (err... ears)... just noise.  The lyrical stuff (as well as mumble) they usually just talk about sex, use very unnecessary slurs, complain about a relationship in song form, and just extreme repetitiveness (humble, gucci gang, birthday cake, etc) and that gets very old, very fast.  

In these 11 months, there is only one song I can tolerate (but they always change it when it comes on).

But if I had to choose, I prefer lyrical because I can understand what is said.

The instrumentals are good for most of the songs though, I’ll give them that.

Sorry not sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯