Fink

Populate jailbreak?

First of all, sorry that this is in general but i feel more people read this than the individual game sections.

I don't really go on the forums much, so idk if threads like this are posted frequently, if so i apologize.

I don't really play TF2 or video games as a whole that much anymore, but I recently played TF2 for the first time in a while, and found that JB was completely dead. While I understand that it has been a dead server for months, it still is depressing to see this be the case as it was essentially the TF2 div's largest and most populated server for years. Has the staff or any members tried any methods to try to repopulate the server? If not, could we host an event on a weekend or a Friday (which brings more players) in which people could get on jailbreak? Hopefully you guys agree that populating jailbreak would be pretty fun, even if it was for one night or a weekend. I understand TF2 has fallen off in players over the years, so that could be why the server has died. If you guys agree that xg should attempt to repopulate JB send this to your pals.

I miss that poop, brings me back to like 6 years ago in middle school ? 

also if it grinds your gears that this is in general, just move it if u want :d

Yeah JB was nice and we did try and populate it for awhile with JB saturdays every week, which it did work for a while but eventually people just stopped caring or coming on. The server does still populate randomly on occasion though thanks to people like Caleb but it still has a hard time maintaining a population whatsoever even when they try. It'd be nice to start trying again in the future with events and stuff but I'm not sure how much could be done to ever try and get it to a consistent population like it once was sadly. 

Ah, Jailbreak. Kind of like a caring mother for many regulars in xG.

I feel your pain upon seeing it empty.

Sadly, it has died out lately, and though I and many others within the community have tried to populate it, it only lasts for about 2 days at most now, though it is fun when there's more than 3 people playing. The server just feels like it won't be getting much traction anymore. The cause of this can't be pinned down to any person or action, it simply can't be helped. The most we can do for it now is occasionally revisit what the golden days might have been, as soon as the multiple plugins in place are patched for Jungle Inferno. Until somehow it can repopulate (which is unlikely, as we are technically one of the very rare JB server hosters in TF2), Jailbreak will be a fulfilled shadow of its former glory. 

9 hours ago, Krampus said:

Yeah JB was nice and we did try and populate it for awhile with JB saturdays every week, which it did work for a while but eventually people just stopped caring or coming on.

Pretty sure they stopped populating it because the people organizing the events left. People did come on, but having the event only once a week is not going to populate the server again. Since pretty much everyone is out of school now people should start trying to populate the dead servers (this has already been happening for FF2, but I'm not in the discord anymore so I don't know what is going on anymore.)

If you guys can actually populate JB almost daily, I believe that you can keep the TF2 division from dying off. JB was probably the best server that I played on, and it sucked to see it die not long after I joined xG after getting my joke of a permanent ban removed. Pretty sure I married @WubbaLubbaDubDu on JB, but couldn't figure out how the fudge giving the ring worked.

For me, at least, the peak of the division was when I first joined. I was actually somewhat cool back then. Can you believe that? The overall mood of the servers back then was much more suitable to my preferences than it is now, which is part of the reason why I kind of dislike the servers.

maybe have population days? like the server doesnt have to even be full, we just need at least like 10-15 ppl for a solid game.

even if the server dies off once again after 1-2 matches, lets let it die off. i just want to experience fun on the server again at least once or twice more.

Edited by Fink (see edit history)

i mean, how are the player counts on the csgo jb server? id even be willing to play that if we can get players on.

39 minutes ago, Fink said:

maybe have population days? like the server doesnt have to even be full, we just need at least like 10-15 ppl for a solid game.

Quick little thing I would like to add. I came on the servers today and got in a conversation with @Caleb956 and he pointed out that the buttons on JB are broken. So, until those buttons are fixed, JB is pretty much unplayable. (Buttons are used to open doors, start games, etc.)

Population days would be a good idea. In fact, I would like to have daily JB population events, but we need to address the problem at hand before we can go back to playing JB like we used to.

Edited by Tatost
I forgot :( (see edit history)

The issue with population nights that has happened is it's not long before people stop attending because they're doing so due to it being a "time to populate" and not because they actually want to play. It becomes more of a chore then actual enjoyment and people start doing things they'd rather get on, leaving just those few who are dedicated enough to get on no matter what. As this becomes the case for more and more people it becomes less likely that anything even starts up since so few people decide to even attend eventually.

With jailbreak there's a few things that make it more unique as to why it struggles then other servers when trying to populate it then just how these events affect it. For one it's harder to get started then pretty much any other gamemode. For every server you need a small starting population to kickstart it, not only is it debatable you need more people for jb then most, you also need something to do. Other gamemodes are very straight forward with what to do and while jb gives content for that, it requires much more organized effort to use that content to actually have fun. Im personally not sure what lead to the decline of people coming on everyday, but the old regulars that made up that population have simply moved on at this point, either to other servers or other games entirely. There's just not enough people who care enough to create a stable population from. Whether that will change in the future will likely only happen not if a bunch of old people come back, but if new people suddenly decide that it is where they want to play. 

In terms of the plugin being broken, as far as Im aware the entire plugin is going to get removed in favor of a new one.

How about we try to avoid making the population days a chore and market them towards those who truly want to play. We need to stress that there is no point in joining if you really don't want to, and there's nothing wrong with that. If not enough people join, then its tough luck. I feel a big problem with JB and a reason it died was due to the fact that the server became littered with the pooptiest players. I'm not calling them poop, but they were just awful at playing JB. They are not any regulars, I'm mostly referring to typically younger kids that would join with little experience and get on blue and do nothing. If players aren't dedicated and willing to be creative, the gamemode sucks. I feel that if we can appeal to dedicated regulars on the forums who desire to play, we could possibly get a decent sized lobby for at least a couple of days.

(no shade towards younger kids on tf2 or squeakers, i was like 12 when i started playing jb, but its just a description of the stereotypical terrible jb player)

If theres a small population of people who actually care, maybe we could try to get some ex csgo or css players to join? i know a lot of them dislike tf2, but its worth a try. we could also try to show the trade server players jb and see if theyd like it. i feel like many regulars of those servers could be committed or interested.

Edited by Fink (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Fink said:

How about we try to avoid making the population days a chore and market them towards those who truly want to play. We need to stress that there is no point in joining if you really don't want to, and there's nothing wrong with that. If not enough people join, then its tough luck. I feel a big problem with JB and a reason it died was due to the fact that the server became littered with the pooptiest players. I'm not calling them poop, but they were just awful at playing JB. They are not any regulars, I'm mostly referring to typically younger kids that would join with little experience and get on blue and do nothing. If players aren't dedicated and willing to be creative, the gamemode sucks. I feel that if we can appeal to dedicated regulars on the forums who desire to play, we could possibly get a decent sized lobby for at least a couple of days.

I agree with a lot of this and when we've done these population nights on more then one occasion it did get good population for a few of those days, at first. The last part i mentioned is important though. There aren't enough of those dedicated regulars like there used to be, and those that are left are just too few and too unwilling to put in the effort neccissary to make something like this consistent. It always goes downhill quickly and dies out because of that.

When a few other things clear up I do want to try and see a more regular population event of sorts going on if we can make it work, but one that rotates focus and isn't for jailbreak alone (make zombie fortress great again).

Populate CS:GO jailbreak instead ?

I've tried jb in about 3 or 4 different games, and all I can tell you is that in TF2 it just doesn't work very well. TF2 can have so many different minigames and custom gamemodes but jailbreak just isn't that good in TF2 than it is in CS or Gmod, mostly due to weapons and not having classes.

2 hours ago, Dannypicacho said:

Populate CS:GO jailbreak instead ?

I've tried jb in about 3 or 4 different games, and all I can tell you is that in TF2 it just doesn't work very well. TF2 can have so many different minigames and custom gamemodes but jailbreak just isn't that good in TF2 than it is in CS or Gmod, mostly due to weapons and not having classes.

Like i said , id be down with a repopulate in any game. ive played a fair amount of xg css jb and csgo jb, so id support this as well. i just said tf2 because i thought it was our largest div, therefore bringing in the most players

36 minutes ago, Fink said:

Like i said , id be down with a repopulate in any game. ive played a fair amount of xg css jb and csgo jb, so id support this as well. i just said tf2 because i thought it was our largest div, therefore bringing in the most players

recently we've been able to get a decent amount of people on