QueenOfHearts

Censoring, Hypocrisy and Toxicity

17 minutes ago, Sesh said:

-1 mostly since people need to learn to relax and ignore someone if they're saying words they don't like. If someone is going out of their way to harass someone else with the terms then yeah, punish them for that, but if simply seeing the word 'faggot' or so on causes you to stop functioning or just start hyperventilating then I don't know how you survive browsing the internet, unless you confine yourself to xG servers and sites only. It's not the same as going to a workspace in real life or being stuck around actual people that are tormenting you or calling you those things and whatever else, it's just people playing on a video game server.

Plus, if you ban one thing you may as well start banning every other offensive word now that could be deemed rude or mean towards a group of people, or just anything rude altogether, servers are already pretty strict compared to some others with how it's currently ran, don't think they need to be made even more strict, just deal out punishments to the individual people that are trying to harass rather than limiting more words for everyone. Don't want this to become something like Twitter where you can't breathe without someone losing their minds.

Twitter's pretty lax in terms of rules, the people on it might not be in terms of what they themselves think is acceptable. 

People also not wanting to be around certain language is not equivalent to them being hyper sensitive or whatever you're implying. We've seemingly collectively decided that we'd rather have our servers be an environment without the use of racial slurs. Does that make us hyper-sensitive? 

The slippery slope is a fallacy, one type of word being banned does not inherently mean all other less offensive words follow, but as I've pointed out, if we ban racial slurs because they're slurs and in general we think they will not have a positive impact, it's not odd for people to think that it's inconsistent that we allow all the other ones. I do not think our servers are strict at all comparative to other ones. If you look up the rules for skial or jump academy, or any other large group, they tend to be relatively close to ours. Our servers aren't lawless dumps, I like that. I feel it elevates the discussion and enjoyment for most everyone involved. People trying to purposely antagonize people by toeing the line has always annoyed me and the less damage they can do by trying that, the better.

1 hour ago, LAN_Megalodon said:

Also just to point out, I'm pretty sure faggot at one point was a banned word, and I'm fairly certain I've seen people punished for "Dyke", so saying "Yeah but no racial slurs and everything else on a subjective basis is how we do things and have always done things" isn't even correct. We don't even follow that consistently.

Whoever banned people for saying "dyke" was wrong to do so, my last name is Diker and people fuck around with me by calling me a dike (dyke). Unless they were constantly harassing members and dyke was one of the terms they used, I don't believe people got punished just for the word.

5 hours ago, Tatost said:

Sorry that I'm pissed that you guys are turning the clan I loved to hang out on into a fucking dictatorship.

Not saying the word "faggot" can't be offensive, but it's the internet. I don't really care if someone is calling me a dumbass cracker on the internet because it doesn't mean shit. You just need to grow up and grow some thicker skin. "This GAMER just called me a FAGGOT online, I want him banned!" If someone says that to you IRL, that's a completely different story. Just bop them on the fucking nose with your karate kick you've been working on since you were twelve.

People have an opinion on a word they don't want in our servers, and you're saying we're turning the clan into a fucking dictatorship.

The right to voice an opinion without punishment is not a dictatorship, and the higher ups don't even agree with the suggestion in the first place but respect their right to do so. Why do you think this thread isn't deleted or locked?

Stop overreacting, and think before you post.

13 minutes ago, Aegean said:

Whoever banned people for saying "dyke" was wrong to do so, my last name is Diker and people fuck around with me by calling me a dike (dyke). Unless they were constantly harassing members and dyke was one of the terms they used, I don't believe people got punished just for the word.

He was harassing another staff member (queenofhearts) after multiple warnings to stop. wasn't banned but @Lithium denied their member app.

Edited by Brady1780
Im retarded (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Brady1780 said:

He was harassing another staff member (queenofhearts) after multiple warnings to stop. wasn't banned but @Lithium denied their member app.

Yeah so it wasn't for the term dyke, it was more for the harassing part. Thanks for the clarification ?

So actually speaking of skial, I'd like to bring something up.

WWW.SKIAL.COM

Rules These actions may result in bans, silences, or other punishments. Examples are listed. But just because you don't see something here does not...

Their rules almost exactly mirror ours except for: 

image.thumb.png.964fb179fdf8356036878e5d49f2b7aa.png 

And I guess this is my whole hangup with the whole debacle, part of the reason I stepped down from moderator was not wanting to split hairs with people I was acquainted with over just a casual general use of the "soft a" so to speak. And like, I'm not the kind of person who's really gung-ho about using words that might make others feel uncomfortable, but I also don't think it's my place to word police anyone. People exist in environments different than mine, and I would find it insane if I was in a position where I had to tell a black person they couldn't use the n bomb, or a gay person that they couldn't call themselves a fag. But for consistency's sake, it should probably really be "all" or "none", and if we decide it's "all", harassment of players should have a zero tolerance policy and our rules should be edited to reflect that. Because I know one of the first problems we're going to encounter is people targeting other people based on sexuality or race or something and then play it off as a joke.

@LAN_Megalodon we already have rules set in place for everything you are saying 

Rule 12 in our General Rules: Racism and sexism is frowned upon in our servers, using it excessively or in an insulting manner is not allowed at all. IF a mod or higher warn you to stop (by gagging, muting or simply messaging you) , you must stop. This is the first and only warning you get and it must be in this manner. If you do say something racist or sexist, it must be very minimal and not in an offensive way and if not stopped after a warning, you will be punished severely. The person these comments are directed to and any staff member can at any time state that these are offensive and you must stop immediately.

I don't believe someone should get instantly banned for harassing someone, but they will get their one warning if doing so. They can claim it's a joke if they want, if the person they are targeting thinks it's offensive, that person must stop immediately.

Rule 7: Keep all language PG- 13 on the servers, forum, and Discord. *You will not be kicked/slayed/banned for cussing. However, if you are doing it excessively to troll or abuse someone it will have repercussions.

This is a blanket for any terms that aren't racist or sexist, but words that can still be used to abuse someone verbally.

Edited by Aegean (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Aegean said:

People have an opinion on a word they don't want in our servers, and you're saying we're turning the clan into a fucking dictatorship. 

The right to voice an opinion without punishment is not a dictatorship, and the higher ups don't even agree with the suggestion in the first place but respect their right to do so. Why do you think this thread isn't deleted or locked?

Stop overreacting, and think before you post.

Probably should have added the word "attempting," my bad, forgot implications aren't very easy to spot in text.

I just don't want the clan that I'm a part of to turn into a safe space. And like I said, I understand where they're coming from, but I can't really see how strictly prohibiting the use of "faggot" and other words of the sort will do the clan any good. (I didn't say this exactly, but I did say I agreed with Goblin when he said something very similar.)

25 minutes ago, Tatost said:

Probably should have added the word "attempting," my bad, forgot implications aren't very easy to spot in text.

I just don't want the clan that I'm a part of to turn into a safe space. And like I said, I understand where they're coming from, but I can't really see how strictly prohibiting the use of "faggot" and other words of the sort will do the clan any good. (I didn't say this exactly, but I did say I agreed with Goblin when he said something very similar.)

That's exactly why I said think before you post. 

No reason to be hostile to prove a point when you are better than that.

6 hours ago, LAN_Megalodon said:

Twitter's pretty lax in terms of rules

Sesh is more so talking about the Twitter community, not Twitter's TOS.
The Twitter community will tear someone apart if they even attempt to make a joke or post something even slightly offensive to some minority that no one really knows.

I don't think this thread has any further reason to stay up. We will keep the rules as it is now, enforce the disrespect rule as we always do. Please remember we are a gaming community and we want people to have a good experience. We aren't trying to make our servers a safe space, but we will also be sure no one gets harassed or felt unwelcome by anyone without repercussion. 

~Closed