Bags

Get rid of spawn protection

Get rid of spawn protection  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should spawn protection be removed?

• Yes
    • No

Spawn protection reduces the risk of spawn camping (obviously). Spawn camping will usually lead to population going down or people just getting fed up and leaving. Whilst I agree spawn protection can be irritating when they can attack you, but you can't attack them, I feel as though having some sort of resistance to spawn camping is important and without it the server could suffer. I'd say it's the best meet in the middle option for allowing spawn camping and making sure people don't leave as a result of it -1

This is a good idea when you look at it first but is not a good idea when you think about who is going to stop spawn-killers and spawn-campers.

I wish there was a system implemented on surf like the spawn protection on other XG servers because a lot of the time the "trust method" of allowing players to be trusted not to kill someone in their spawn does not work most of the time and when it does work, Its because they weren't going to anyways.

(thats just me though)

Edited by MJP
Changed my mind (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Bluez_ said:

There’s not even a visual indicator. +1 until that’s changed.

It depends on what server you're talking about.

I agree that it is pretty annoying to kill someone near their spawn and they just quick spawn back and come out to kill you with like five seconds of god mode basically but still I would rather have this way over the alternative where you don't have any all. If we were to remove it and just say no spawn camping that would would be the most time consuming thing to watch for staff and it would be awful for this server, especially considering how the surf server which does have that rule and how it is usually more difficult to get in/to the enemy spawn than here has this problem almost constantly. Also if we were to just remove it and allow spawn camping it would most likely just end up with people leaving considering how bad spawn camps can get at times. So I'd just say -1 for this and to keep the system as is.

-1 because it gives the camped a fighting shot against campers without waiting on RTD or taking away your ability to play the game to its fullest extent in friendly, and in situations like on pokemon where the spawn is a small room with one door, it stops campers from spamming projectiles through the opening and killing people continously as they respawn and try to RTD or type a command. I honestly feel like the system as is is the most effective I've experienced in the five years I've been playing here, plz keep.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:49 AM, MJP said:

This is a good idea when you look at it first but is not a good idea when you think about who is going to stop spawn-killers and spawn-campers.

I wish there was a system implemented on surf like the spawn protection on other XG servers because a lot of the time the "trust method" of allowing players to be trusted not to kill someone in their spawn does not work most of the time and when it does work, Its because they weren't going to anyways.

(thats just me though)

The issue on surf is cptele into combat with spawn protection would likely be way more exploited than the spawn killing rule is ignored at the moment.

58 minutes ago, Tatost said:

spawn protection is only active for 2-4 seconds I don't see the big problem lmao

5 seconds

On 8/26/2018 at 3:33 PM, Bluez_ said:

There’s not even a visual indicator. +1 until that’s changed.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, Kypari said:

It's on the to-do list. Don't worry!

Added now!

-1 As annoying as it may be to be killed by someone who effectively has god-mode, imagining some maps without spawn protection just makes me shudder. Clocktown is a fine example of it, where even with it on a lot of spawncamping happens to BLU team in particular and it can be hard to push out of spawn even with it. While I do kinda agree with Ian that easy spawncamping is usually the result of poor map design, on TGH, since a lot of the maps are based off or from another game, they aren't really balanced for another game like TF2 and an easy solution to this would be to just have spawn protection on that way we don't have to end up removing a good percentage of the maps we have.

1 hour ago, Tatost said:

spawn protection is only active for 2-4 seconds I don't see the big problem lmao

You can make it out of clocktown spawn as scout pretty easy with a second or two of invincibility. It also makes demoman pretty ridiculous because you can bomb with close to no downside. But I agree I'm not like frothing at the mouth for it to go, I just think it's a shitty fix to a problem that has roots a little deeper than "spawncamping lol"