Tatost

Remove jump_academy

Remove Academy?  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Remove Academy from the Jump server?

• yes
    • no

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/18 at 01:00 AM

Academy is a terrible map on its own. Any jump map ever created glosses over the basics of rocket jumping (wall jumps, pogos, syncs, etc.), thus making the map entirely useless. Very few semi-competent rocket jumpers actually enjoy playing on Academy. Just a useless map that pretty much kills 40-50%+ of the population on any server you go to. There are plenty of 24/7 Academy servers, people can go there if they really think they can't learn how to rocket jump on tier 2+ maps. Teachers [will] exist for a reason - to teach.

Yeah there's actually not really a point to academy if you're going to have like teachers and whatnot. The only thing academy excels at is being very descriptive about what you have to do in the absence of players willing to explain it to you. Otherwise everything in academy is pretty much covered in jumps 1-10 of other, better, lower-tier maps.

Danny made several statements about better players being bored on the map being the same as worse players being bored on a harder map, but this is not really comparable. A hypothetically worse player on a map that covers the same basic skills as academy in addition to more won't ever make it to the "more" part. If they make it to anything that academy doesn't cover, they'd have mastered the skills academy teaches. If they never make it to the additional parts of the map, they're struggling on the same stuff that would be on academy, there's just not a significant part of the server bored on a relatively short and easy jump map. 

Academy's very descriptive, but having something described to you doesn't mean you instantly master it mechanically. Forcing an entire server to sit on academy because a fraction of people really don't understand how to jump, (or more likely, some people got on the server and rtv'd before it was really populated) is comparable to going out to skate with all your friends but forcing them to all stand around your driveway while you try to master a kick-flip on your lawn. Sure, it might be a great way to learn how to kickflip, but it's not really an enjoyable or engaging experience for most of you.

Edited by LAN_Megalodon (see edit history)

Fun to speedrun

Good learning experience

It's just as much of a jump map as any of the others. This one just covers every possible type of jump. It's good for beginners.

If "le epic pro jump gods" get bored of getting "world records" they can always head to the market garden part of jumpacademy, which is equally really fun.

19 hours ago, Dannypicacho said:

Fun to speedrun

Good learning experience

It's just as much of a jump map as any of the others. This one just covers every possible type of jump. It's good for beginners.

If "le epic pro jump gods" get bored of getting "world records" they can always head to the market garden part of jumpacademy, which is equally really fun.

We don't even record completion times right now afaik. I'm not a fantastic jumper and I'd assume most people want something somewhat difficult or challenging, especially because we don't actually record times.

10 minutes ago, LAN_Megalodon said:

We don't even record completion times right now afaik. I'm not a fantastic jumper and I'd assume most people want something somewhat difficult or challenging, especially because we don't actually record times.

Oh? That ruins the point of speedruns. @Caleb956 @mrnutty12 please add a timer?

Nope, I'm going to have to -1 this. Even though I myself have beaten jump_academy and all its courses many times I am taking into account the new jumpers. Yes, some of the map is unrealistic like pogo 15 and 10 on timed. Never the less its a great learning experience for the new jumpers so, on behalf of the people who want to learn how to jump and to learn the basics I will have to say that we should keep academy. Everyone has their opinions but I think that academy is a great place to start. You can't just throw a new jumper into jump_sitood and expect them to learn everything instantly, they would probably be stuck on the first few jumps. You have to ease them into jumping and academy is a perfect map for this.

21 hours ago, ABlueSkittle123 said:

Nope, I'm going to have to -1 this. Even though I myself have beaten jump_academy and all its courses many times I am taking into account the new jumpers. 

I completely agree with Skittle here. Jump academy is a good way for new jumpers to learn the ropes of jumping without having too much of a challenge. And sure there may be dedicated jump academy servers however if XG has one it could possibly lead new jumpers into the rest of the community. 

I always get stuck at #15 in the pogo section, even for a intermediate jumper the course still poses to be difficult for most, it does do its job though at being what it is meant for, its very basic and straight forward and is meant for new players, im not new to the concept of rocket jumping entirely, but I am trash and not a god like Lan, or Bags.

Personally I say keep the map and instead we should remove jump_sync instead, thats just my opinion though. im gonna stay neutral though because I rarely play jump servers, but from playing on the xG server this is all I know.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:03 PM, Semper said:

I always get stuck at #15 in the pogo section, even for a intermediate jumper the course still poses to be difficult for most, it does do its job though at being what it is meant for, its very basic and straight forward and is meant for new players, im not new to the concept of rocket jumping entirely, but I am trash and not a god like Lan, or Bags.

Personally I say keep the map and instead we should remove jump_sync instead, thats just my opinion though. im gonna stay neutral though because I rarely play jump servers, but from playing on the xG server this is all I know.

I'm not a god, I just don't want to blow my own brains out. Sync is at least challenging, if I sat on that map for 3 hours it'd be engaging