Platform

GameCube & Wii

Time Spent

Roughly a Thousand ours of gameplay 

Do you Reccomend?

I absolutely recommend this game

What you Rate the Game: (1 to 10)

Initial Thoughts

I first bought the game when I was around eight years old and still play the game to this day. It’s an excellent game for anyone looking to get into RPGs, but also isn’t very experienced with the genre. The only problem I had with the game is that the final boss can be nearly impossible to beat if you didn’t level up your character in a relatively balanced way. This restricts your play style a little bit if you like going balls to the wall and only upgrade power. 

Gameplay

The game is  entered around a turn based system of gameplay, where both the AI and the player take turns attacking each other until either the player dies or until the player drains the computers HP to zero. 

The level up system in the game works on increments of 100. This means whenever you get 100 points of XP, you get XP from killing enemies and bosses. Each enemy drops the same XP but depending on what type of enemy you kill, will decide how much more XP you get. 

When you level up you get to choose between three different upgrades: Flower Power, HP (Health Points), and BP (Badge Points).

Flower Power

The way that Flower Power works is when you use an item acquired through a bagde or your special ability based on what hammer or shoes you are carrying.

Each of these items uses FP and when you run out of FP ypu can’t use any more special moves.

HP

When you get hit by an enemy your HP will drain a set amount (depending on which enemy hits you) the damage will increase. If you stomp on a spiked enemy then you will always hurt yourself instead of the enemy. Once your health is zero, you will be forced to the main menu to either respawn at your save point, or to go to a different save file.

BP

In game you will earn badges throughout your journey, these badges are used in order to unlock special moves, kind of like the TM Discs in Pokémon. Each bagde costs BP in order to equip, you only have as much as you upgrade for. You start the game with five and each badge costs roughly three BP use (not including sound modifiers).

Star Power

Star power is the meter that will fill up at the top of your screen when you do stylish moves, strike a pose at the audience, or perfect dodging. Start power is used to activate a special map and crystal stars that you unlock throughout the game. These stars activité some sort of event but I don’t want to spoil that for anyone wanting to play the game themselves.

Story

In the game you play as the protagonist: Mario. You receive a letter in the mail one day from Princess peach telling you that she has found something amazing in Rougeport. When you get there you find out that there is a door holding a Thousand year old demon. You get a email from the princess telling you that she has been captured at an unknown place and that you need to find the crystal stars so that the captors don’t release the Thousand year old demon. 

Pros

• Excelent story 
  • fun gameplay 
  • funny jokes
  • well aged graphics 
  • many hours of gameplay and puzzles

Cons

• One incredibly boring chapter
  • lots of reading (bad if you don’t enjoy plot)
  • some glitches 
  • controls can be awkward with the GameCube controller)

Final thoughts

I think it is an absolute must play game, thta is a little difficult to find nowadays. It is an incredibly fun and mildly challenging game for all ages.

If you want to play the game i reccomend going into it completely blind, don’t watch any let’s plays of the game and only look things up if you absolutely need to.

I was actually looking towards playing this again very soon. This month I was aiming to beat Megaman 11 and do a nice rerun of TTYD. An absolute masterpiece, my favorite Paper Mario game by far.

12 minutes ago, Owlknight_ said:

You can, there's an edit option under the posts that you've made to edit the message you typed.

No there’s a time limit to how you can edit and I ran out of time lmao

For one, I love this game, always has been one of my favorite and @Tatost I beat megaman 11 in 2 days. Back on topic, this game is amazing and unlike a large portion of games the story is easy to follow and really good so I would recommend for everyone to play it! 

13 hours ago, Owlknight_ said:

Owl is the big dumb sometimes, and makes stupid errors like that sometimes.

Also Owl, you are not the big dumb. You are the big birb, and the best birb.