ABlueSkittle123

Random Crits on Surf

Random Crits on Surf  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep crits on surf or not?

• Keep the Crits?
    • Remove the Crits

-0.5?

While it does put a skill barrier into the game, It still can be very fun and potentially life saving for your character. 

After all everyone has an equal opportunity to get them as long as you play right and do damage.

I do understand the randomness factor can be a bit dumb to get killed by so in my opinion it should be removed from weapons entirely (obviously if they aren’t already) but keep them on weapons so the market pan can still be a thing.

After all it’s not csgo comp but surf Tf2 

52 minutes ago, Queelsh said:

-0.5?

While it does put a skill barrier into the game, It still can be very fun and potentially life saving for your character. 

After all everyone has an equal opportunity to get them as long as you play right and do damage.

I do understand the randomness factor can be a bit dumb to get killed by so in my opinion it should be removed from weapons entirely (obviously if they aren’t already) but keep them on weapons so the market pan can still be a thing.

After all it’s not csgo comp but surf Tf2 

We removed random crits on both of our at least semi-living trade servers if you weren't aware. Not sure exactly when you joined, but I might as well throw it out there for you if you didn't know. You can go look back at the thread, it's pretty recent.

8 minutes ago, Tatost said:

We removed random crits on both of our at least semi-living trade servers if you weren't aware. Not sure exactly when you joined, but I might as well throw it out there for you if you didn't know. You can go look back at the thread, it's pretty recent.

I must not have worded that right then, sorry bout that.

I meant surf exclusively since I still believe that the crits add something to the game. 

What that is I don’t think I could explain very well except for the word charm. It adds its own unique spin to a first person shooter and is one of many things that makes the game it’s own.

9 hours ago, james8470 said:

Remove them.

Random crits are a mistake that should have never been in TF2 in the first place. Surf will be marginally more popular without random crits, but player frustration will be greatly reduced.

Now that's a deal!

Couldn't of said it better than that, and I also forgot to mention something important, the negativity bias. The negativity bias declares "Your brain is simply built with a greater sensitivity to unpleasant news." Which means that the overall the random crit will effect the person that got hit by the random crit more than the positive feeling the person who got the random crit thus leaving an overall worse feeling compared to before.

Random crits are a mechanic from the launch build of tf2, meant to prevent stalemates. While it was debatable back then if they were needed, they defiantly aren't now. Stalemates in games are more rare, because of unlocks, and crits don't really prevent them. These especially are not needed in what is essentially a dm server (in the case of tgh), or a parkour server (in the case of surf). 

Remove them, they smell.

5 minutes ago, SegFault said:

I mean, I really don't see any use to removing them honestly. I've never heard a single person complain about it. its a fun meme and helpful if your tele is being camped or something

I see how it is seg...

Aside from being a travesty of a mechanic, they are not fun and only a meme because they suck so much. Also it really doesn't help with telecamps from my experience.

I could honestly go either way on this topic. People wanted crits off of TGH because it's a very DM based server (At least that's what people use it as). And I don't play too much surf but the times I've been on, I didn't mind when I was killed by a crit because I was just sent back to the start to try again. If I went on there to Death Match I would mind, but that's never what I go on for. Again, I could go either way because if they were removed, that would be cool, I just wouldn't notice it too much. But if they stayed, I wouldn't mind because of the reasons stated earlier.

22 hours ago, SegFault said:

I mean, I really don't see any use to removing them honestly. I've never heard a single person complain about it. its a fun meme and helpful if your tele is being camped or something

I find it surprising you've never heard anyone complain about it, but even if you haven't, that really doesn't change anything. Evidence in favor of random crits is all subjective, so I can't really support it. 

24 minutes ago, nuen said:

Evidence in favor of random crits is all subjective, so I can't really support it. 

Isn't the issue that its also subjective against them too?