nuen

The state of TF2?

What's your opinion on the state of TF2? Just Curious.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on the state of TF2? Just Curious.

Definitely dying right now. There are almost year-long dry periods where we don't get any new content that isn't half-assed. I was a big fan of the contracts and shit that came out late last year / early this year, but that really only stuck with me for maybe 2-3 months. The developers show close to no passion for the game, which will eventually end up in a severely reduced population.

Game itself has been going downhill very slowly for a very long time in my opinion.  Like @Tatost said, its pretty clear not many people at Valve have a passion for this game, but sadly it's what we're stuck with regardless of the fact.  I've said this for a long time and I'll say it again, I really do believe the only reason this game is alive at all is because of community servers, and the fact that a large portion of those are trade servers. Really doubt the game would still be around if it weren't for community servers (mainly trading), but maybe that's just me. *shrug*

There's like nothing to do to this fucking game anymore. I don't even know even know what you'd update outside the moronic fantasy world of "give heavy an overwatch shield". The community is the only thing keeping this game on life support, and even when they create, package, and advertise their very own grassroots updates these fucking imbeciles don't even blink. We do all the legworks for these potentially awesome map update themes and it's just fucking ignored. The cosmetics will be added in some dumb barely retextured case six months from now, but the stuff that's actually cool and matters gets binned.

I don't believe TF2 is dead but I do believe it is dying. It has been on a steady decline for the past few years, with content updates coming less and less and fewer things being added with each update. Some things feel very out of date or unbalanced, and need to be updated. It's frustrating to see the state of the game now, it's almost as if Valve has completely forgotten it. The game gets very stale very quickly because there's hardly ever any new content, and the content they add is never what the game needs. At times, it almost feels like the only way to still have fun is to make your own fun, by going onto modded community servers full of ideas that could be added to the game, but never will.

I know the game is old but I don't think that means it's a lost cause. I do believe that if all of the original developers came back and Valve put a little more time and money into updating the game with new and fresh content, it would pay off for them. New players and veterans could be lured back and more money could be made, but no. Valve is content to just collect money from TF2 until it runs dry, at which point, they'll probably shut it down.

I don't see TF2 living on for much longer. Maybe a couple more years, but not much longer than that. Small cosmetic crate updates won't cut it, the only thing that could save the game from a slow painful death at this point is to release a major, game changing update, bigger than the Jungle Inferno one. But I don't see that ever happening due to how incompetent Valve is now. TF2's glory days are long gone, and I believe it's only a matter of time before it fades entirely.