hongkongatron

TF2 - Better Spawn Protection

After the removal of the previous spawn protection system (which was better but admittedly more buggy) that was removed, going back to the old system is still obnoxious where people show no sign of whether or not they can take 4+ pipes or several backstabs before dying. 

A suggestion is to make spawn protection either a sizeable amount of overheal, which would protect them but not give them temporary godmode, and show particle effects to help as well. The second suggestion is to try to make a system similar to the last one but use particles or icons, rather than transparency or model colors, to show when they have spawn protec.

Not gonna make a vote on this since I just want to see people's thoughts and ideas.

if we could give players the uber "shiny" effect upon spawning that'd be a fairly obvious tell 

idk if that's possible, but uber is as visible as it is because being able to tell that a player is invincible is borderline required in this game.

I have to agree, not being able to tell whether the person is under the effect of spawn protection is really annoying especially when you waste a full mag on someone  before they actually take any damage.

14 minutes ago, LAN_Megalodon said:

idk if that's possible, but uber is as visible as it is because being able to tell that a player is invincible is borderline required in this game.

Great suggestion here giving people under the effect of spawn protection uber since its really obvious to see

8 minutes ago, hongkongatron said:

or just remove it entirely : )

We could, and I do like mostly trying to mirror the base game as much as possible, but it is actually insanely difficult to leave some of our spawns without spawn protection. Some/most are teleport exits or some form of very compact tunnel, neither of which you really see in the base game. The most you'll see is a single shutter door on like goldrush, which to be fair, is larger than the exit of either spawn on clocktown

44 minutes ago, LAN_Megalodon said:

if we could give players the uber "shiny" effect upon spawning that'd be a fairly obvious tell 

Yes please..

Do something similar to bianco hills where we would know how if enemy is invincible  upon spawning in the maps 

Edited by Red (see edit history)

The overheal idea is interesting, but it wouldn't work in the end. Think about this; we're playing on one of the god forsaken maps where the spawn points are basically open for anyone to fire into at any time with NO door (such as hotel hell) and the other team has pushed you back so far, they have demomen putting stickies on the ground waiting for you to spawn, which would kill you instantly anyways. Phlogs would still kill you very quick, normal heavies can still kill you quick, and it's just a big mess.

Meanwhile, the uber effect is perfectly fine. But I wonder if there would be a way to make it so that as long as you are standing the trigger box that defines the spawn room, you would have the effect indefinitely, then leaving would give you the lingering effect. That would at the very least stop people from rolling toxic and getting tons of spawn frags.

4 hours ago, Red said:
4 hours ago, LAN_Megalodon said:

Yes please..

Do something similar to bianco hills where we would know how if enemy is invincible  upon spawning in the maps  

Iirc I did add that at one point in time and no one liked it for one reason or another, don't remember the exact reason though xd

1 hour ago, you get a gold star ⭐ said:

But I wonder if there would be a way to make it so that as long as you are standing the trigger box that defines the spawn room, you would have the effect indefinitely, then leaving would give you the lingering effect. That would at the very least stop people from rolling toxic and getting tons of spawn frags.

That was discussed a year or so ago and it was ruled that it wasn’t possible to do unless you did it for each map and made custom versions. To re-iterate, possible but not even remotely practical.

1 hour ago, Jadow said:

i suggested zoning the spawn area and if you leave the spawn area you lose godemode. could make it like overwatch where there's the spawn area where you get heals and then an area where enemies can't get in but you can still get damaged @mrnutty12 @SegFault

terrible idea bruh.

basically a no kill zone and what if you want to finish off someone you were hunting and they tried to rush back into spawn and instantly protected without even going to a resupply, and I can see many of the players abusing it and just camp in their spawn and kill people outside. 

9 minutes ago, Red said:

basically a no kill zone and what if you want to finish off someone you were hunting and they tried to rush back into spawn and instantly protected without even going to a resupply, and I can see many of the players abusing it and just camp in their spawn and kill people outside. 

Pretty accurate right here, you'd have tons of people who can just go sniper on maps and sit in spawn with god mode and there would be nothing you can do

4 hours ago, Red said:

terrible idea bruh.

so add being in the zone you do no damage and if you go back to spawn while still alive you don't get godemode or if you sit in there for too long you lose it