Precious

Remove trade_delfino_airstrip_b3

Remove trade_delfino_airstrip_v3?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Remove trade_delfino_airstrip_v3 from TGH rotation?

• Yes
    • No

So for a while now, I've been wanting to make polls to remove some maps that have been generally disliked by the community. Today, while on TGH, a decent amount of people were on but for some reason the next map was already chosen to be Delfino Airstrip (the decision was probably made way earlier, as we were just starting to revive the server). We tried to use votemap to stop it since nobody wanted to go to there, but in the end it failed, and we went there anyways. Sure enough, once we got there, a lot of people left and as soon as the ability to RTV was available, we used it to go to a different map immediately. If so many people loathe the map so much, why do we even still have it on rotation?

Now, some of you may be wondering what's wrong with it, and to those who don't know why this map is hated, I'll give you some reasons. First off, the map is quite small. While it appears large at first, the actual battlefield itself is very small. A map being small isn't always a bad thing, smaller compact maps like Delivery can be quite fun to play on at times. However, its size only amplifies the other reasons why people hate this map. One of the biggest reasons this map is hated is because it is almost completely just a flat, wide open plane. And I think we all know what happens when a map is so open and flat: sniper hell. Almost everyone will just go sniper and it'll turn into an all out shitfest. Don't get me wrong, maps that encourage snipers aren't a bad things on their own, maps like Lava Giant manage to make it fun to play sniper and play against them as well due to its layout. But with airstrip's simplistic, flat design, the snipers become unbearable. Now, these two points aren't so bad on their own, but my last point is what really makes this map awful to play on: no spawn rooms. 

Whenever you spawn, it's out in the open, in a boat with barely any cover. The only respawn cabinet is in a hut in the middle of the map, which is usually just camped by one team. Combine this with the sniper hell and flat map layout, and the game quickly degrades into a bunch of tryharding snipers and spies trying to get revenge on said snipers. You get sniped, you respawn, you take two steps forward, you get sniped, rinse and repeat. 

Despite all the hate over delfino airstrip, I've still heard some people defend this map for some reason. I'd like to go over some of the defenses or reasons they give for wanting to keep this map and why they aren't valid. First off, I've heard people say that because this map is "a classic", that means it shouldn't be removed. Well I have news for you: just because something is old or 'classic' doesn't mean it's good. From what I can tell, this map has been despised by many since it's been here. I've also heard people say "lol you just don't know how to counter snipers". To that I say... are you dumb? There are only really two counters to snipers: spies, and other snipers. The distance between each spawn allows the snipers to kill any other class long before they can reach them, making them nonviable. Even spy isn't that good, because sniper has so many counters to deal with spies himself, from jarate to the razorback. So that just leaves sniper. Then it literally just turns into a battle of which team has the better snipers. I've also heard people say "It's just a trade server, not all maps have to be serious". While yes, this may be a trade server, that doesn't mean that it's okay for maps to be poorly designed. Some of TGH's most popular maps such as Clocktown, Bunker, Rogueport, and Aquaticruin still manage to be fun for everyone because they give an equal playing field to both teams and allow multiple classes to flourish and counter one another. I honestly don't know why anyone would defend this map unless they were doing it 'for the memes lul'.

This map is poorly designed, encourages one class to dominate, is too small to do anything on, and has no spawn rooms. People leave every time we go there, almost always killing the server or leading to an instant RTV. I honestly don't see any redeeming qualities in this map, besides that it's from a good game, but even that doesn't excuse its poor design. I've been listening to people complain about this map since I first started coming on xG two years ago, and I think it might be time to remove it from rotation. 

There are LOTS of other maps on TGH that I'd like to see removed, but for now, I'll start here and see how well this goes. What do you guys think? Remove it or keep it?

Ok...
First and foremost, the answer is yes.
The only reason this map has stayed is due to the following things.

• A lot of people in xG are sniper mains, this is mostly because most video games maps aren't designed with a headhunting Australian assassin killing people. If any of you have played Goldenrod on Pokemon trade, you know what I mean. Because of this, some people love these maps. Despite the fact that they make people want to gamer shot themselves.
  • A lot of people have a philosophy of, "The more maps the better, if people vote to play on it, they can." While if everybody took voting extremely seriously, I'd agree, unfortunately many people nominate and vote for it as a joke. Not only that, but unaware new players will see delfino, and want to play on it.

Moving into the bad points:

• Unlike maps like bunker, it's not even a "so bad it's good" kinda deal, it's just bad and not fun.
  • Decreases server population.
  • With spawn protection in it's current state (protection isn't visible), it's annoying to fight people.
  • Lastly, my best point, I don't like it.

I'm honestly confused as to how people could say no. Vote yes, please and thank you.

as we add new maps to the server, maps like this and echidna should be removed, we play them less and less and we only really go to them so we can just rtv 5 mins later to go to the next map, i don't think this is a map people enjoy playing on for more than 10 mins, regardless of whatever team you're on, or how well you're doing as a sniper, this map is a snooze fest, while maps like aquatic, bunker, and rogue-port are much more fast paced and enjoyable to play on, because all classes are playable and viable.

Also I would like to say 2 things:

1: Please READ the whole thing before voting. I tried to make a fair analysis on why people dislike the map, so even if you do like the map, maybe you can at least listen to my reasoning and understand my points.

2: Please do NOT vote no just because you dislike me. You can dislike me, that's fine, whatever, I don't care. But don't be so childish and petty and vote no purely because you dislike me. 

If you truthfully enjoy this map, then fine, that's great. But don't impulsively choose no because my name is plastered on this thing or you think this map is funny to meme on.

Edited by Precious
reeee (see edit history)

I have never liked this map.

to avoid repeating the points already made, I'll focus on some other important issues in regards.

It kills the server for starters, because if you don't play sniper you're not having fun.

It forces anyone who doesn't want to play snipe or be sniped to either go friendly or leave.

It only has 1 resupply closet and it's closer to one team than another.

It's boring visually and gameplay wise.

Spawn protection exists so literally a sniper will lose a quickdraw just because the last person died.

I will keep saying this until evidence is provided to prove me wrong.

Airstrip makes bad snipers feel better about themselves.

4 hours ago, nuen said:

Moving into the bad points:

• Unlike maps like bunker, it's not even a "so bad it's good" kinda deal, it's just bad and not fun.
  • Decreases server population.
  • With spawn protection in it's current state (protection isn't visible), it's annoying to fight people.
  • Lastly, my best point, I don't like it.

image.png.b845f5584be85ced5949cccb3d60a344.png

According to the mapstats.xenogamers.com it actually increases server population. (higher c/dc ratio is better)

I still hate the map and want it gone, but those are the facts on that.

15 minutes ago, Ms.Spooks said:

Include the full stats thanks. 11.63 average players is a little low to be making the claim it increases server population. Likewise 450.5 total playtime hours is very low for the connects it gets. Just saying. @mrnutty12

11.63 players is low, but as a late night chad gamer a lot of the time we've ended up there, the server is already pretty dead. Additionally the playtime is somewhat low for a map we've had a relatively long while because people are sane and rtv to leave fairly quickly. I feel like this is important to bring up because I do not have issue with having a few fairly bad maps as long as they're not obnoxiously broken or poorly designed, (bonus points if people don't stick around on them for too long). 

The only other time I think this map sees the light of day is when Wave's around, and even then I don't think it's that common. 

I made that joke but I'm not really voting because I don't care. The map's bad, but imo we have worse. Bunker is almost infinitely more restrictive in the way you can play and I don't mind that so ehh.

there's not only those two ways to counter the snipers, you can just swim in the water and the snipers usually don't see you since they're fixated on the enemy spawn for themselves to not get sniped and there's also the vaccinator which makes it basically impossible to die to the snipers while countering them fully if you play right

and I don't think the map kills population, from what I've noticed every time we've ever went on there not too many people leave, sure some people complain about the map but there's not really a huge amount of people that leave, at least in my experience playing on it

one thing that is annoying however is the supply cabin in the house, which is finicky to win the fight over and can be very frustrating

the map does have its flaws, but almost every map does and I don't think the flaws are so bad to call for it being removed in my opinion

7 hours ago, BonfireCentipede said:

you can just swim in the water and the snipers usually don't see you since they're fixated on the enemy spawn for themselves to not get sniped

Not all of us have 3 iq

7 hours ago, BonfireCentipede said:

there's also the vaccinator which makes it basically impossible to die to the snipers while countering them fully if you play right

Please don't do that as it tends to get people angry and disconnect