Edit History

james8470

james8470

About two weeks ago, @tree_ with the help of his friend @♥Cookie♥ made a post regarding our rules around the usage of slurs. They called into question why some slurs are okay but not others. I couldn't have explained it better myself, so I'm just going to attach a quote of their post.

Because I'm unaware about other division's rules, I'm making this discussion in the TF2 section of the forums.

As you may or may not know, the word faggot is allowed on xG's TF2 servers. The word originated in the early 16th century and is often used in a derogatory way to refer to a homosexual man. The word nigger, commonly referred to as the n-word is also used in a derogatorily way. It can be used to identify an African American person. It originated in the 1800s as an adaptation to the Spanish word negro, a word developed by the term niger which means black. The n-word, is not allowed in xG's TF2 servers, unlike the word faggot, which is allowed. 

With that history out of the way, I'd like to ask my question: Why is one slur allowed but another one isn't? 

I'll leave it at that. I've added a poll that you can submit your thoughts. If you wish to voice your opinion in more depth you're welcome to. I'm more than happy to have a discussion about this topic. (as you can see by this post)

The poll had more people voting to keep the rule as it is, with some slurs banned but not others, or more people voting to allow the n-word (and presumably all other slurs) than there were people who voted to just ban all slurs entirely. The thread is also locked for some reason. I'm not sure if it was @tree_ who locked it or staff members themselves, and I apologize for opening this up to public comment but I truly think this is something worth discussing.

So to start us off I have a question, why? Does using a derogatory term to refer to someone who's gay somehow less offensive than using a derogatory term to refer to someone who is black? I just don't get it. Sexual orientation and race both play a part in social location, which means social power is involved which is why black people can call other black people by the n-word. However, when a white person uses a slur against a black people suddenly social and historical context comes into play. Same goes for gay people. And that's why we don't allow racial slurs, no? 

By this logic, I'd have to agree with the minority of the voters here - ban all slurs. I just don't see the difference - but by all means please do explain it to me. 

james8470

james8470

About two weeks ago, @tree_ with the help of his friend @♥Cookie♥ made a post regarding our rules around the usage of slurs. They called into question why some slurs are okay but not others. I couldn't have explained it better myself, so I'm just going to attach a quote of their post.

Because I'm unaware about other division's rules, I'm making this discussion in the TF2 section of the forums.

As you may or may not know, the word faggot is allowed on xG's TF2 servers. The word originated in the early 16th century and is often used in a derogatory way to refer to a homosexual man. The word nigger, commonly referred to as the n-word is also used in a derogatorily way. It can be used to identify an African American person. It originated in the 1800s as an adaptation to the Spanish word negro, a word developed by the term niger which means black. The n-word, is not allowed in xG's TF2 servers, unlike the word faggot, which is allowed. 

With that history out of the way, I'd like to ask my question: Why is one slur allowed but another one isn't? 

I'll leave it at that. I've added a poll that you can submit your thoughts. If you wish to voice your opinion in more depth you're welcome to. I'm more than happy to have a discussion about this topic. (as you can see by this post)

The poll had more people voting to keep the rule as it is, with some slurs banned but not others, or more people voting to allow the n-word (and presumably all other slurs) than there were people who votes to just ban all slurs entirely. The thread is also locked for some reason. I'm not sure if it was @tree_ who locked it or staff members themselves, and I apologize for opening this up to public comment but I truly think this is something worth discussing.

So to start us off I have a question, why? Does using a derogatory term to refer to someone who's gay somehow less offensive than using a derogatory term to refer to someone who is black? I just don't get it. Sexual orientation and race both play a part in social location, which means social power is involved which is why black people can call other black people by the n-word. However, when a white person uses a slur against a black people suddenly social and historical context comes into play. Same goes for gay people. And that's why we don't allow racial slurs, no? 

By this logic, I'd have to agree with the minority of the voters here - ban all slurs. I just don't see the difference - but by all means please do explain it to me.