james8470

The staff requirements are too much

Something needs to be said about this.  Everyone in the TF2 division is quitting all at once and they all have the reason for it:

The servers have gotten stale and 14 hours a week (2 hours a day) is too much

Here's what should be done IMO: halve the requirement (7 hours a week). It's a matter of keeping good staff members for the long-term. I don't think the current model of cycling though staff members every few months is a good one. Also, with a 7 hour a week requirement, wouldn't the servers be understaffed? No, I don't think so. With the lower requirement, we can simply have more TF2 staff members for one thing, and !calladmin and discord and the forums exist for a reason (that reason being the servers can't be staffed 24/7 anyways.

while I can see why you would write this, I am going to throw my own side down.

People leave step down from staff not because of requirements, but because the game isn't fun or its for their own good.

@Kypari originally stepped down for his own health

@mrnutty12 stepped down because hes clocked in over 10k hours so yeah, the game would get boring for him

@Caleb956 stepped down earlier because it wasn't fun

Point is, everybody has their own reason for leaving.

Also before it was 14 hours, it was something along the lines of 30 hours every 2 weeks or something crazy so lowering it for 14 to something else would be a poor idea as the staff would think that they aren't needed and will only go for the minimum requirements, leaving basically no staff on the servers when needed.

22 minutes ago, james8470 said:

Also, with a 7 hour a week requirement, wouldn't the servers be understaffed? No, I don't think so. With the lower requirement, we can simply have more TF2 staff members for one thing, and !calladmin and discord and the forums exist for a reason

I understand you said this, but staff are volunteers and have their own lives. So if the requirement were to be lowered, it would probably in turn lower the amount of staff available at one time as they would make plans for their own life.

That is just my own take on the subject. I'm not saying I'm right in anyway, just my viewpoint.

1 hour ago, james8470 said:

Something needs to be said about this.  Everyone in the TF2 division is quitting all at once and they all have the reason for it:

Here's what should be done IMO: halve the requirement (7 hours a week). It's a matter of keeping good staff members for the long-term. I don't think the current model of cycling though staff members every few months is a good one. Also, with a 7 hour a week requirement, wouldn't the servers be understaffed? No, I don't think so. With the lower requirement, we can simply have more TF2 staff members for one thing, and !calladmin and discord and the forums exist for a reason (that reason being the servers can't be staffed 24/7 anyways.

umm it was 14 BI-weekly...

It has already been 7 a week for years now.
Also people don't usually respond to calladmins save the couple saints who do.

It was 20 hours biweekly before the reduction friend.

52 minutes ago, TBOHB said:

Also before it was 14 hours, it was something along the lines of 30 hours every 2 weeks or something crazy so lowering it for 14 to something else would be a poor idea as the staff would think that they aren't needed and will only go for the minimum requirements, leaving basically no staff on the servers when needed.

Edited by mrnutty12 (see edit history)

21 hours ago, james8470 said:

I was staff for a month or so and had no problem finding time in my day to join the server and just chill for a hour or two. while I was dislocated from home because of a house fire and staying with family. If I can do that, anyone certainly can, I also take care of my grandmother who had cancer and has to use a cpap machine to breath at night, and just alot more other life stuff, If you can't put in the time and effort you're just lazy, 14 hours in 2 weeks is baby stuff, I used to put 200 hours biweekly into source when i was like 14, people have lives too, and we have to acknowledge all that Kypari, Nutty and Caleb have done and how Long they have been here and how much of their time and lives they have sacrificed to make the tf2 div what it is now, can you blame them? sometimes people need a break from it after doing it for so long.

the more I read this thread, the more it seems like a Joke.

Maybe we could bring paid Moderators back.

Edited by Semper (see edit history)

On 2/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, james8470 said:

I would like to say a few things here, a couple of which may have already been said.

1.  There is no such thing as a 7 hour a week requirement, it is 14 hours in two weeks(In response to @mrnutty12).  This means if someone can't be on for a week or so, they have the opportunity to do all 14 hours in one week, or it could be 10 hours in one week and 4 in the others (which I don't encourage anyways..) and even at that, if they are unable to play I'm sure @Tekk @Kypari and @SegFault wouldn't have an issue giving them a pass if they explained their situation to them.

2. We have the hour requirement because even though being a staff member is a volunteer job, it is still a JOB.  Like all jobs, it requires commitment, if you aren't committed to what you do as a staff member then chances are you won't be performing like one, quality over quantity.

At the end of the day, like @TBOHB said, people step down for their own reasons.  I don't recall seeing someone step down because the hour requirement was too harsh, and there is only a handful of people that have been demoted for inactivity.  If they don't find the game fun anymore, or they just don't want to commit to being a staff anymore, then that is their choice.  The same could be said about everyone that decides to stick around as staff, every two weeks they decide whether they want to stick around and commit their time to the servers or not.  They probably enjoy the game, or maybe they just stick around because of how much they care about the future of the clan and want to see it succeed, but regardless of what the reasoning may be,  they still have to follow the requirements laid out for all staff members.  Not only would having a basically non existent hour requirement hurt the image of the staff team, it would also more than likely be seen as unfair.

Edited by Caleb956 (see edit history)

I did not step down because of my requirements. I stepped down because xG's TF2 servers were getting too boring and bland for me, and because I was sick of the drama. Kypari, Nutty, and Semper all stepped down for their own personal reasons, and while I'm not going to talk for them and act like I know every reason why they stepped down, I'm fairly certain they didn't step down because of hour requirements. 

I will admit getting in 14 hours a week could be daunting for me at times, but not because it's a lot of time to spend on TF2. It's because I got so bored of TF2 and fed up with xG drama that I began to loathe coming on. The game never changes, the servers never change, and the drama, while it would die down for a while, would always come back eventually. That's why I quit. 

The servers are getting stale for multiple reasons. And while I COULD go on a rant about everything that I think is causing the servers to become stale, I'm going to save your time by assuring you that the time requirements for staff are not one of those causes. It is far from the being one of the biggest problems on xG (which I'm not going to get into because this isn't the time or the place), and I dare say it is not a problem at all.

I'm not trying to be rude, but in the future, speak for yourself, and only for yourself. While I appreciate you trying to stick up for staff, you shouldn't try to speak on behalf of a group that you are not a part of, especially if they have not asked you to.