ABlueSkittle123

Remove Random Crits on Surf

Remove Random Crits on Surf  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Get rid of em?

• Yes
    • No

I have made this before I will do it again, random crits are not a requirement on surf. They just ruin the fun of the server and should be disabled, if we have random crits removed on every other server, why not this server? If we remove random crits on this server I believe that it will make everyone who regularly plays on this server much more happy, my main point being the negativity bias. If you get a random crit, wow I got lucky and killed three guys out of luck, cool. That is a positive experience however that experience disappears in mere moments, however the negative experience, aka the three people on the other side of the crit got the negative experience, and those experiences last significantly longer and they sure as hell won't be forgotten, thus in conclusion it would be better to completely remove random crits from surf.

2 hours ago, ABlueSkittle123 said:

I have made this before I will do it again, random crits are not a requirement on surf. They just ruin the fun of the server and should be disabled, if we have random crits removed on every other server, why not this server? If we remove random crits on this server I believe that it will make everyone who regularly plays on this server much more happy, my main point being the negativity bias. If you get a random crit, wow I got lucky and killed three guys out of luck, cool. That is a positive experience however that experience disappears in mere moments, however the negative experience, aka the three people on the other side of the crit got the negative experience, and those experiences last significantly longer and they sure as hell won't be forgotten, thus in conclusion it would be better to completely remove random crits from surf.

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

To be dead honest, crits are good for breaking camping/locks at the outputs into the jail of the map (ex. Surf Lullaby) so I'm more for keeping them personally but I understand wanting to get rid of them. Random crits are a pretty double edged sword.

Whoa there, I almost didn't see this thread

Random crits take away a huge skill factor from the game, and to die by one is incredibly annoying. It may be entertaining to get a random crits, but 90% of the time you no longer care about the crit moments later, when your focus moves on to something else.

It also doesn't make sense to get punished for trying to kill enemies. Especially when you consider that enemies who are weak from winning a fight have a higher chance to crit you. Players that are getting kills in succession don't need the added chance to randomly do triple damage.

The same goes for random bullet spread. Last I checked it's still enabled on surf, but not on tgh. These mechanics that only serve to induce randomness have no place in a game like tf2, even in a casual setting. The recipient of the crit feels cheated, and the sender of the crit shortly thereafter either forgets or stops caring in most situations. The only exception being when a group of people are hit with the crit, but in that situation there would be multiple affected meaning that one person is cheating multiple people out of a fun experience all because of rng.

There's this arguement that random crits prevent stalemates and spawncamps. This is flawed by the fact that random crits are based on how well the player is doing and are, for lack of a better word, random. The team who's spawncamping is obviously going to be getting more kills, and relying on rng to end a spawncamp is a horrible plan when compared to a coordinated Uber push. And on almost every map there's not just one way to get into the jail. So there's always the option of surfing to a seperate jail

I do understand that sometimes it's hard to coordinate a push with a bunch of people that you might not even know, but relying on a random mechanic is not a good solution. It only serves to make recipients feel cheated out of a fair fight

Sorry for the horrible structuring

1 hour ago, Lynn said:

why not just add rtd to surf so it balances out random crits

Because a lot of the powers would have to be disabled to account for various things last I checked. (ie stuff like toxic or homing projectiles would have to be disabled because of accidental spawnkilling)
Rolling for random debuffs with a minute chance of the probably not very helpful thing isn't very fun afaik. And assuming you are not being facetious, it doesn't so much balance them out as it does double down on the issue.

Personally I dislike the rng based nature of random crits and find them counterproductive to most engagements and irritating to many players. Surf certainly isn't the most serious epik gamer environment, but dropping random crits from the gameplay there does very little for 99% of what goes on there but make people who dislike them happier. Unless you really rely on them for killing those bhoppping mach 10 people it shouldn't even be noticeable were they removed as per literally every other place where they were turned off. Sure it is less random but in a more enjoyable way, surf is already super chaotic and disorganized but that charm is harder to enjoy when you are being instagibbed by the guy you just brought to 2 hp with a pile of sync'd up rockets.

As for the people who have said that they are helpful for breaking jail camps, I'd say you see more success on that front from cleaning out sniper boxes and forcing the other team to take cover/deal with you or bhopping around from the jail teleports as a distraction for your team (fast man make shoot, must chase). Those both are far more common and consistent ways to keep the camps in check that I would see used (and personally did) to great effect in that particular matter. Random crits are inherently unreliable and are probably going to favor the camping team because of the mechanics behind crit frequency, and if you are bad you will just end up camped again so they really don't even help much in the long run.

Oh and @Genocide random crits are like headshots in cs, but instead of shooting someone's oversized nose you pray to RNGesus that you magically get a glowey bullet or rocket with a 3x damage boost.
While they technically happen more for good players since the chance to get them ramps up with how much damage you have done in the past 20 seconds or so they tend to reward bad players by giving them an unearned free kill on random people (most often complained about by good people who got an undeserved death) as opposed to skilled players who probably would have won the fight anyway. 

16 hours ago, mrnutty12 said:

Oh and @Genocide random crits are like headshots in cs, but instead of shooting someone's oversized nose you pray to RNGesus that you magically get a glowey bullet or rocket with a 3x damage boost.
While they technically happen more for good players since the chance to get them ramps up with how much damage you have done in the past 20 seconds or so they tend to reward bad players by giving them an unearned free kill on random people (most often complained about by good people who got an undeserved death) as opposed to skilled players who probably would have won the fight anyway. 

Thanks, trying to train for my newly DL spot ❤️