The_Unlit_Torch

Gtx 980 Or Gtx 980 Ti?

Linux just isn't there yet in terms of the graphical user interface. Both Mac and Linux lack of game support as well. I've used xp, vista, 7, 8, ubuntu, mint, gentoo, centos and a couple mac versions personally.

Windows will do you perfectly fine honestly. You can run a disk cleanup after finishing updates. There's also the community winapp2.ini file for ccleaner to free up more gigabytes; Plus each steam game wastes about 5 to 15% of disk space which can be cleaned up as well. I freed 30gb/111gb of space using these.

I would personally recommend windows 7 for six-nine months, then using your free ticket to upgrade to 10 when all the bugs are fixed. You will see notice a lot of improvements on 10 (which is an improved version of 8) in-terms of resource usage.

Microsoft doesn't want to admit it, but they use tick-tock like method just Intel does. Much like the famous economic theory of using stages at a production plant, it works out significantly better.

• 2000 -new version,
  • xp -polished,
  • vista -new version,
  • 7 -polished,
  • 8 -new version,
  • 10 -polished.

All I'm gonna play is mostly TF2, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, and Hearthstone.

TF2 and Isaac are available on Linux, and Hearthstone works through Wine.

Also Windows costs a whole ton of money and they spy on you ;_;

There's a such thing as piratebay. Download, create USB image and install.

Regardless of how it SHOULD work, in real life sometime stuff works out different. Unless you can produce benchmarks or something real proving otherwise, there really isn't a point in continuing this discussion.

For 1080p a i7-4790k ($340) with a gtx 970 ($300) is the best combination currently. This is a 8 to 10 year combo without having to buy any upgrades.

The i7 4790k is 11% stronger per core than the i5-4690k. It also has 8 threads which allows much more processing power on games to be used down the road.

This will measure gaming performance a lot better for the cpu.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

And the GPU here.

PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

The amd fx 8350 ($165) with a gtx 750 ($150) is better for people don't play a lot of complex games or need something cheaper.

If that's all you're going to play, a GTX 980 is overkill. Most AAA games experience a moderate performance loss (10 FPS or so) while running on Wine and lose out on many features that you'd expect to have, since Wine has no plans to implement DirectX 10 or beyond in the nearby future, so most of the bells and whistles in modern games that will be using your GPU heavily will be missing. (See stuff like SSAO/HBAO, tesselation, etc.) Also, Linux GPU drivers are never as good as Window's.

Just do what @Stickz suggested and pirate it. If you care so much about a company spying on you (which they probably aren't, aside from maybe running some metrics or some BS like that on which programs you use) then you should probably consider moving to the woods, as the NSA has spied on many, many foreign countries in the past couple of years, including Germany (Merkel's phone calls, I believe)and the UK. Also, you should be anonymous if they collect any data, especially if you pirate it and don't use a Windows account.

Considering the games you play, a GTX 760 or 960 will probably be enough to drive you. All of those games that you mentioned shouldn't need anything beyond a GTX 560TI or its equivalents (closest thing I can think of is an HD 7850), which is ancient.

Honestly, if your plan is a Linux machine that runs those three games, don't even bother with a gaming pc. The on-board graphics of a modern CPU alone with probably give you acceptable fps, and even the cheapest discrete graphics card will run them at high fps. A laptop alone will do the job fine.

If that's all you're going to play, a GTX 980 is overkill. Most AAA games experience a moderate performance loss (10 FPS or so) while running on Wine and lose out on many features that you'd expect to have, since Wine has no plans to implement DirectX 10 or beyond in the nearby future, so most of the bells and whistles in modern games that will be using your GPU heavily will be missing. (See stuff like SSAO/HBAO, tesselation, etc.) Also, Linux GPU drivers are never as good as Window's.

Just do what @Stickz suggested and pirate it. If you care so much about a company spying on you (which they probably aren't, aside from maybe running some metrics or some BS like that on which programs you use) then you should probably consider moving to the woods, as the NSA has spied on many, many foreign countries in the past couple of years, including Germany (Merkel's phone calls, I believe)and the UK. Also, you should be anonymous if they collect any data, especially if you pirate it and don't use a Windows account.

Considering the games you play, a GTX 760 or 960 will probably be enough to drive you. All of those games that you mentioned shouldn't need anything beyond a GTX 560TI or its equivalents (closest thing I can think of is an HD 7850), which is ancient.

My grandma is giving me the 980 for free, so I don't need to worry about the price.

I'll get Windows one way or another, if I want to play Windows-exclusive games. There aren't even a lot of these anymore considering Steam released SteamOS to the general public which is pushing developers to releasing Linux versions.

But I'll be using SteamOS as my main boot.

My grandma is giving me the 980 for free, so I don't need to worry about the price.

I'll get Windows one way or another, if I want to play Windows-exclusive games. There aren't even a lot of these anymore considering Steam released SteamOS to the general public which is pushing developers to releasing Linux versions.

But I'll be using SteamOS as my main boot.

I think your overestimating how willing game developers are for adding Linux support. As much as valve wants Linux to be a gaming platform, it will be ages before it catches on, if ever. Even support for mac gaming is far from universal, and Apple's OS is far more popular then Linux. Scrolling through steam (and this surprised me as well) almost all games are windows exclusives.

I think your overestimating how willing game developers are for adding Linux support. As much as valve wants Linux to be a gaming platform, it will be ages before it catches on, if ever. Even support for mac gaming is far from universal, and Apple's OS is far more popular then Linux. Scrolling through steam (and this surprised me as well) almost all games are windows exclusives.

Most good games are on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but there are definitely some of them that are Windows-exclusive.

As I said though I'll get Windows, pirated or not.

Most good games are on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but there are definitely some of them that are Windows-exclusive.

As I said though I'll get Windows, pirated or not.

Using a dual boot to have both Windows and Linux installed is an option as well. All you need is two partitions and to install Windows first.

Using a dual boot to have both Windows and Linux installed is an option as well. All you need is two partitions and to install Windows first.

If I want SteamOS I have to install it first, because it erases everything on the machine.

Also I seem to have a Windows product key laying around but no CD. Do you have any idea how to burn one?

If I want SteamOS I have to install it first, because it erases everything on the machine.

Also I seem to have a Windows product key laying around but no CD. Do you have any idea how to burn one?

You could download the version of Windows off (pirate bay with no preactivation), put in your CD key then activate it legitimately. Ether that or borrow a CD from a friend and put in your product key. There really isn't any other way do it because Microsoft is so controlled it's not even funny.

I like the piratebay method better because you can use Power ISO to burn it to a USB key for faster installation. Microsoft finally caught on for Windows 10 to distribute via usb.

You could download the version of Windows off (pirate bay with no preactivation), put in your CD key then activate it legitimately. Ether that or borrow a CD from a friend and put in your product key. There really isn't any other way do it because Microsoft is so controlled it's not even funny.

I like the piratebay method better because you can use Power ISO to burn it to a USB key for faster installation. Microsoft finally caught on for Windows 10 to distribute via usb.

I downloaded something from some website (not piratebay) called "windows 7 all-in-one cd" or something like that and put in my key, it seems to be working, I'll see if it works after connecting to the internet.