NekoBaron

[map] Chemical Labs Rc2

I would appreciate a testing and replacing of the current version of chemical labs as it was an unauthorised retexture a long time ago and would love to see it back it its original form with the graphical updates I had planned when I created it.

An arming file is included but I'm not sure if enough was added compared to the original, theres is about 190 items currently and I know the old arming file had more but this includes new items and more random drop.

Dropbox - mor_chemical_labs_rc2.7z

I managed to find an old screenshot of the original I took when making it

Steam Community :: Screenshot :: Mor_Chemical_Labs_beta

This newer version has the EP2 textures removed and only requires CSS now and has a few custom textures packed inside.

I am more than happy to fix and tweek any issue with the map but overall the layout is identical to the original but with more detailing added in multiple places.

Nice work. I'll take a look at this new version in the near future.

If anyone else would like to give feedback/test this map feel free to do so.

Tagging a few people, disregard if you're not interested.

@DoctorGringo @Makr6e6 @Gamstoby @zOmBIEz @CharDraesia @APArtHistory

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I believe I actually have a copy of this map in my Gmod files, I remember testing this map when demonkush was testing stuff in it.

The main problem with the map was that there would be this Brood Alien scream (the one used when a brood goes from human form to alien form) which negatively interferes with game play (if im a human, I imagine that theres a brood turning a few rooms away. )

the only other gripe I have with this map is that compared to the version of chemlabs we have now, its not rlly atmospheric. This version is more lighter, looks like its "clean" rather than looking like its "dirty".

I'll try to look at both old chem labs and this new map and give thoughts.

The main problem with the map was that there would be this Brood Alien scream (the one used when a brood goes from human form to alien form) which negatively interferes with game play (if im a human, I imagine that theres a brood turning a few rooms away. )

the only other gripe I have with this map is that compared to the version of chemlabs we have now, its not rlly atmospheric. This version is more lighter, looks like its "clean" rather than looking like its "dirty".

The random brood screams are ment to help keep people more alert on the map and help broods to a degree since if theyre unlucky and surrounded before the can split up they wont ever have much chance. ( I can change it if needed)

As for the graphical side, I partially understand wanting a more metal sci fi feel to a map, but the re-texture was overboard and I feel a map needs more variation and all dark metals. Its more designed as research base than a floating metal space station.

Also while it looks cleaner in general it gives more impact to the lights being turned off as there's more contrast, I am open to texture pack suggestions though if you can link some. I just didn't like the way multiple maps got the exact same dark metal texture set.

The random brood screams are ment to help keep people more alert on the map and help broods to a degree since if theyre unlucky and surrounded before the can split up they wont ever have much chance. ( I can change it if needed)

As for the graphical side, I partially understand wanting a more metal sci fi feel to a map, but the re-texture was overboard and I feel a map needs more variation and all dark metals. Its more designed as research base than a floating metal space station.

Also while it looks cleaner in general it gives more impact to the lights being turned off as there's more contrast, I am open to texture pack suggestions though if you can link some. I just didn't like the way multiple maps got the exact same dark metal texture set.

In views of game design, I feel like that noises that give alot of info (nades exploding, broods turning) shouldn't be ever used in other contexts (like if I press a button on the map and it triggers the sound of a nade exploding, if the upgrade menu was to use the brood scream). And it just takes away from good play, If I hear a brood noise coming from bathrooms, but it was just a map effect, I'm going to be punished for keeping track of where the brood noise came from, Because I'm going to be playing the game like there is a brood in bathrooms despite there being none. Brood already has such an advantage in game (both in the amount of maps that are brood sided, and just the general balance of the game), I don't think chem labs should be thrown in favor of the brood side.

Opinions may differ, but to me Chem_labs_b3 feels more like its an underground research base on an alien planet more than chem_labs_rc2

I think I have a majority of my opinion made up, but one more thing before I give it out. I had purple textures on this version of the map and I have css and all the Half Life episodes mounted. Your maps MAY be broken, other people tried it, and they also had purple textures. I rechecked the version I installed in 2014, its also called rc2 but has differences with the one your posting. It also has purple textures now. (the last time I checked it, which was back in February, it didnt have the purple textures. )

Gimme 5 min to type out my opinion.

@NekoBaron I liked the cosmetic/atmospheric changes to the map personally. However, there were a few hallways covered in purple textures and I believe the random Brood screams should be removed as well, because humans hearing the Brood screams will either try to track down that Brood OR stay away from the area they heard the screams. The way players move around the map, react, and ultimately play shouldn't be dictated by false sounds in a map, but actual sounds the opposing team makes.

I dont really enjoy this version of the map.

Most parts of rc2 feels like its more of a parasite era map, rather than a Morbus map. The stone hallways and new doors just dont rlly feel interesting, more depressing than anything. The 'dark metal' texture set that chemical_labs_b3 has feels like it suits it better, than any other map. The brown metal and wires hanging out texture feels like its one of the defining features of the map, and if I ever see that texture on other maps it reminds me of chemlabs, rather than any other map. The new map feels like more of a under ground bunker on a gloomy Earth, than it does a chemlabs or research base (the older swarm spawn texture set and skybox felt more atmospheric than the old.).

I like what you did in the Middle of the map, the vents feel pretty cool. I think the colored strips on top of walls would be a good concept for differentiating between the two sides of the map. You could apply this to the old map with Pipes. Have one side of the map have a red chemical pipe going along the walls, and then a Blue pipe on the other side. If you wanted to take the concept further and give human side an advantage, have the pipes give off a glow in the dark.

TBH, I dont see why maps that dont have much of a problem and are prolly the better maps in the gamemode (chem_labs_B3, Facility_B2, Breach_B4, Isolation_B4) are being changed, while maps like Spaceship and OutPost and Skand are just being left alone (while being complete SHITE in terms of gameplay, except for maybe skand, that map is fun to play, but the confusion on which vents leads to where just detracts from it.).

Edited by APArtHistory (see edit history)

I have to say though, Chemlabs has to be top 3 maps in the current map pool of morbus, more fair towards humanside players than 90% of the map pool. Its the map where I've developed many parts of my play, like figuring out map movements and Game sense. I tell players that wanna be good to play Chemlabs. You have my thanks for making a great map!

If I had to give rankings,

1. mor_facility_b2

2. mor_chemical_labs_b3

3. mor_breach_b4

I could do with knowing which parts of the map are purple textured, I use the hammer in the CSS folder to build maps to keep any custom textures separate from my gmod folder to try and avoid accidentally adding random textures.

Alright, I think I prefer this version of chemicallabs. solves the problems where you cant rlly differentiate between the two sections of the map. My only major problem at this point is the arming file (looking at it, theres only 4 medkits and 1 frag grenade) But I would be willing to work on that if theres support for this map.

My favorite parts of the map have to be the colored strips differentiating between the sides of the map, the middle part of the map, and the black mesa texture in the lab. I also liked that you kept the dark spots from the old map.

Some nitpicks I hope you take into consideration for the next version of the map.

ai.imgur.com_nZpvyEK.thumb.jpg.745f870fa009c5733f5cea72e5c6ba95.jpg

ai.imgur.com_mJhjImf.thumb.jpg.97149f43572bde60226039be6dc9f6a2.jpg

ATM the only way to differentiate between the area in between piss and light switch or shower and light switch is to look at the boxes or look at the signs or see if the lab room is there or not. I suggest changing one of the green strips to be Yellow or some other color if possible.

ai.imgur.com_4418VO9.thumb.jpg.e5b0d3ebab46aa96ef4626ec509c6e87.jpg

ai.imgur.com_GSfUW7X.thumb.jpg.a9de97e60a28a5e115394d50d0bbccb5.jpg

Consider extending the Green/yellow strips to the area from eating to lights, or beds to lights. Solves the problem of being to unable to tell between the two sides of the map, and people can just tell new people to the map "follow the green line to Showers". You could also move the 'clear wall' texture to be the texture for the hallway that goes from eating/beds to the center of the map.

ai.imgur.com_uH2IzqP.thumb.jpg.ba65545c5c4c633a7c50cafab08dce5a.jpg

ai.imgur.com_i0JXVcm.thumb.jpg.b8359cff069ad2105be21c0306f04e45.jpg

Put in a way to differentiate between the 2 light switch rooms. Mb have a diff generator model for one of the rooms.

ai.imgur.com_rjmomLZ.thumb.jpg.52b486171af6d6145e0a96cea619ed31.jpg

ai.imgur.com_FBOhvNh.thumb.jpg.35254fa55e5fe5d72ee16eaf9b43f586.jpg

2 small peeves, I personally prefer the old texture and skybox the map before this had for the swarm spawn. Felt more alieny before than now.

The more important issue, there should be a way to tell between the 2 openings in the ground which one is which, like make one of the openings have a diff color or texture (like a rusty texture or something.)

ai.imgur.com_hhhLdn2.thumb.jpg.1b2a0a1f183a05220d910d9ad60912e8.jpg

ai.imgur.com_Nn1NtRL.thumb.jpg.c013233e43f2d44f4c54b9d56916548f.jpg

ai.imgur.com_Xj4Nbge.thumb.jpg.fd889c67a3853fd3e49cae0fc102fbd0.jpg

I think I can under stand the usage of the concrete texture in between the showers and eating/piss and beds/showers, its a 'back' area of the map thats dark and can be considered a more dangerous part of the map. I personally think that you should use the red/blue strip textures inbetween the need locations, and move the concrete texture to the hallways that goes from eating/beds to the center of the map. (the concrete texture that's in the hallways that are the alternate path from the needs to the light switch are fine to stay tho, I think those areas are the best usage of the concrete wall texture)

ai.imgur.com_qBZLpJ7.thumb.jpg.45368ccb42dc029c917949ad0ae73264.jpg

Not pictured, but I'd personally recommend the removal of the blue shelfs around this back area.

I would also HEAVILY recommend the removal of the brood screams that are around the map in these vents. detracts from the gameplay than it does add to it. I told you this before, But I'd like these vents to stay personally, I could add extra medkit/gernades/supplies to these types of areas, and humans/broods could use a nade to flush out these supplies, or if the jump upgrade was buffed one day to reach into these vents, broods could get that and jump into the vents to get the supplies.

ai.imgur.com_wwSPmjV.thumb.jpg.a05c4ac2fac461f798004ca30066d460.jpg

Thank you for your contribution to the game!

Edited by APArtHistory (see edit history)