samualo

Suggestion: Bring Back Surf_mesa_tf2

So, i remember when xG Surf had Mesa on it's map list for a short while, but it was taken off because it ran into issues due to the fact it was one main spawn for both teams. Well, I was thinking about possibilities to fix the spawnkilling issue so that everybody could enjoy the lovely map that is surf_mesa. The possibilities i have in mind are:

-Implement a plugin that forces everybody into friendly mode for that certain map (if that's possible)

-Make it so that the invincibility of each player lasts until they leave the spawn area (once again, only if it's possible)

-Force everyone on the same team for the map

So the three ideas above are what could be done if it's possible, and wouldn't have that many implications (I'm assuming?). One idea that is realistic but might be looked down upon is that the rule of "No Spawnkilling" could have an exception for maps of this nature, and people could simply do !friendly if they don't want to die.

I know there are a quite a bit of people who would like Mesa back, but this is still just a suggestion. Thanks for reading.

NOTE: I am suggesting to reimplement mesa, not just change the rule for other maps like it, if that was not already crystal clear.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

-Implement a plugin that forces everybody into friendly mode for that certain map (if that's possible)

While not exactly that, there is already a plugin of that sort that exists I believe. If a staff member was on, they could force friendly fire on everyone for that maps duration, but I'm not sure if they could make it so it does that on a specific map.

-Force everyone on the same team for the map

Well since auto balance is a thing (I think?), that wouldn't really work, since even if a staff member would force them on a team, the autobalancer would just move people over to the other team, (unless its possible to make a map specific plugin like said above) so I'm not sure if that would work.

While I can't offer any other solutions to the whole spawncamping problem, when I still played I played my fair share of mesa, and even though its a very short and easy map, it is good practice for beginners to surf. So, Ima give this a +1, good luck in getting it re added :D

just my 2 cents, pls no haterino

-1 This is just giving staff members more work because that maps spawn is the only bad part about it and since we always need a mod/admin constantly moderating us it just puts more work on them which isn't really fun if you ask them. Yes I do enjoy the map but its just very dumb how we need to be forced to have friendly mode because people can't follow some simple rules. Im sorry sam but its just that having to call staff to babysit us on mesa is just not my thing lmao xD

The map currently does exist on the server however it can only be changed too when a higher up is on, this is the closest we have to having surf_mesa active.

I don’t see it being put into the normal rotation anytime soon.

As for your suggestion on sending everyone to the same team, that may not be that possible or a good idea because Im sure some people would find a clever way to exploit it anyway.

@Bello @Rejects @Goblins @mrnutty12

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have a love hate relationship with surf_mesa. On one hand I love it for surfing casually and just talking because it is a pretty map to look at whilst surfing, but I hate it because it is a nightmare to moderate and it goes directly against other purpose of the server, being a skill surf map in a combat surf server. Regardless of my feelings on the map, your ideas to solve the problem with it also throw out what our server is about which would be surf + combat and not just surf.

As a result, I am going to go ahead and -1 this because you basically need staff on to enforce rules because otherwise nobody leaves spawn and engineer buildings pepper the track because you can build down there. Besides, people can just ask us DMs and DLs to change it is they want the map so bad atm.

@mrnutty12 @Goblins @Scootaloo @Rejects

I could set up a plugin that can load certain configs for certain maps.

This way I could increase the spawnprotection to something like 9999 for mesa only, so everyone would pretty much have god mode the entire time, so no spawnkilling would happen.

We used to have the same plugin on TGH to disable +use on edventures.

@mrnutty12 @Goblins @Scootaloo @Rejects

I could set up a plugin that can load certain configs for certain maps.

This way I could increase the spawnprotection to something like 9999 for mesa only, so everyone would pretty much have gosh mode the entire time, so no spawnkilling would happen.

We used to have the same plugin on TGH to disable +use on edventures.

What about a plugin that forces staff=true to blue and staff = false to red, kind of backing up Samualos idea but tweaking it.

I have no idea what you mean.

FORMAT EDIT: Alright, so I was saying that we could get a plugin that represents the Jailbreak Older CT & T Team Switch Preventer. However instead of it being that it can join only if you use !guard. It would acknowledge the team switch through the admin menu or a staff only known command. This way reds can’t kill anyone, And if people are desperate enough to kill it would be easier to track kills because they only would be killing the staff if anything. Just a thought, although it would be a bit of extra work it would have some benefits. Just a thought.

A plugin that on join, any staff (player with access to admin and up) will be put on blue team, they can select any team but default would be blue The reds would be anyone not staff, kind of like the old JB team switch thing, instead of it saying (play a little more before switching to blu) like the blocker from switching team without a command... but instead it could be implemented on mesa but instead of the JB message it would say "this team is reserved for staff"

I'm on mobile again, I'll clean it up after school, lol

Edited by TheSupremePatriot (see edit history)