Tatost

Goldenrod City Spawn Teleporters

Spawn teleport sapping considered a bug?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Spawn teleport sapping considered a bug?

• No, it's not a bug.
    • Yes, it is a bug and should be enforced.

Well, if you've played on our Pokemon Trade server, you may have seen the maps with the teleport that leads either to the left of your spawn or behind your spawn. Anyways, you may have missed them because the teleport was sapped, when it shouldn't have been able to.

There are two sappers in the game right now - Default and the Red-Tape Recorder. One of which (default) cannot sap the teleport to destroy, only to disable until an engineer removes the sapper. The Red-Tape however works differently, it, with it's degrading ability, destroys the teleport leaving the team only one way to exit the spawn. This post/poll is merely for my concern on whether or not we as staff and members of the server should consider it a bug, or just push it aside.

Counterargument for those who say "yeah frick you tatost this is fine." You'll say something around the lines of "but as long as it doesn't disrupt game play it's fine!" Actually, no, it isn't fine since the teleport since it obviously can't be sapped by the default sapper, and can by the other, it's a bug.

Sorry I'm late to reply, life's been keeping me busy. Also miserable.

I do believe that I've supplied the vmf file in this thread:

Goldenrod City Revamp

Basic intuition will allow you to find the right tools to extract the repositories within the compiled map to use with the source vmf file; some things that come to mind are GCFScape or BSPSrc, then Pakrat to pack resources after building cubemaps.

Now, this is something that I can honestly say was unprecedented when I was testing the map. Since my machine, before if kicked the bucket, was isolated from the internet, I had no access to the items server; therefor, I could not use the Red Tape Recorder (I know there's the itemtest command, but I don't remember seeing it, not to mention, some weapons/items weren't listed).

Suggested Solution

I would recommend editing the map file (since I am unable to) by cloning the safeguards implemented in spawn rooms to keep players from using noclip to enter the enemy's spawn (trigger brushes: trigger_hurt & func_respawnroomvisualizer). What this will do, when placed around the exit teleporters in question, is it will physically block players trying to sap them and will kill players that rolled noclip, who then tried to fly into the killzone. This could weed out players who abuse their donator commands... maybe.

When placing these brushes, it would be wise to keep the Origin, if one or the other is a point-based entity, within the sealed part of the map when extending the dimensions to accommodate for the players who may try flying underneath in an attempt to sabotage the entrance/exit teleporters. Otherwise, the compilation process will have errors due to there being a leak from the newly placed entity brushes.

-

Hope this is useful to the chap who's up for some bsp maintenance.

Sorry I'm late to reply, life's been keeping me busy. Also miserable.

I do believe that I've supplied the vmf file in this thread:

Goldenrod City Revamp

Basic intuition will allow you to find the right tools to extract the repositories within the compiled map to use with the source vmf file; some things that come to mind are GCFScape or BSPSrc, then Pakrat to pack resources after building cubemaps.

Now, this is something that I can honestly say was unprecedented when I was testing the map. Since my machine, before if kicked the bucket, was isolated from the internet, I had no access to the items server; therefor, I could not use the Red Tape Recorder (I know there's the itemtest command, but I don't remember seeing it, not to mention, some weapons/items weren't listed).

Suggested Solution

I would recommend editing the map file (since I am unable to) by cloning the safeguards implemented in spawn rooms to keep players from using noclip to enter the enemy's spawn (trigger brushes: trigger_hurt & func_respawnroomvisualizer). What this will do, when placed around the exit teleporters in question, is it will physically block players trying to sap them and will kill players that rolled noclip, who then tried to fly into the killzone. This could weed out players who abuse their donator commands... maybe.

When placing these brushes, it would be wise to keep the Origin, if one or the other is a point-based entity, within the sealed part of the map when extending the dimensions to accommodate for the players who may try flying underneath in an attempt to sabotage the entrance/exit teleporters. Otherwise, the compilation process will have errors due to there being a leak from the newly placed entity brushes.

-

Hope this is useful to the chap who's up for some bsp maintenance.

@Sylux Could you do it if you had time? You seem like the only person really willing to do shit with pokemon maps.

Sure and thanks @ColdEndeavour for the details it's very useful. If you don't mind I will extract that file for the resources and implement the changes in the future. With your permission potentially update some of the songs?

Sure and thanks @ColdEndeavour for the details it's very useful. If you don't mind I will extract that file for the resources and implement the changes in the future. With your permission potentially update some of the songs?

Yeah, go for it!

To be specific:

- Extract the source vmf file from the zip file supplied in the download, and use that to recompile the updated map.

- Extract the materials, models, and sounds from the currently provided (released) map to use with the source vmf.

- The map was compiled with HDR, lighting adjustments are not suited for LDR.