Platform:

Nintendo 64

Time Spent:

50~ Hours.

Do you recommend?

Yes 100%.

What you rate the game: (1 to 10)

Initial Thoughts:

I played this as a child and watched my brother play it when it first came out, and I was blown away by how different the game was compared to things I was used to at that time. (i.e. super mario brothers)

The game is about a kid named Link (hidden in the Kokiri Forest and taken care of from the great Deku Tree) who has to save Hyrule from the antagonist Ganondorf; The king of the Gerudo Thieves.

Pros:

• Music - an incredible soundtrack surrounds this game that really complements the unique locations throughout the world. Unique music for boss fights, dungeons, mobs, shops, and side characters. The music is iconic now and given respect throughout the Zelda series time to time with small iterations to make them stand out. Shout out to Gerudo Valley!
  • Open World - For the most part, you can travel to everywhere you see as long as you have the necessary items. There is a ton of secrets and side missions you can do that is not forced upon you, and these places are not always near your main destinations so it really encourages you to explore and try to figure out the puzzles.
  • Difficulty (Medium) - It's not a very hard game, but it's not something that is super linear that babysits you to progress forward like games nowadays. You will get stuck time to time, and you really need to listen to the clues throughout the world if you play through it the first time. The clues throughout the game are given very creatively and subtlety through the use of Navi (your fairy), unique objects, and important NPC's.

Cons:

• Glitches - This is a double edged sword as this game is super bugged in terms of how much you can glitch this game but it also makes it one of the most watched games that get speedrun on Twitch. Ocarina of Time generally (a full run through, not 100%) would take you about 10ish hours normally to finish, but with the help of glitches (nothing third party) you can finish the game in under 20 minutes. Some glitches do potentially crash the game as well, but as long as you aren't aiming to do glitches the game runs fine.
  • Combat (Easy) - Once you understand the mechanics of defending and how to deal the most damage via jump slashing, you can usually 1-2 cycle boss fights and dying pretty much becomes impossible.

Final Thoughts:

One of the childhood classics, a game most deemed as the greatest of all time.

Definitely revolutionary for its era, and easily in my top 5 favorite games. It's single player, but the Zelda Titles (aside from the Four Swords) are meant to be single player games and they do it really well. This game lasts a good long time, minimum 10 hours game time before you finish a play through for the first time if you aren't familiar with the puzzles, but there is a ton of secrets and puzzles that easily add 5+ hours if you want to potentially 100% the game or get close to it.

With Breath of the Wild coming out soon for the Nintendo Switch as the launch title, there is a lot of hope that this is the Zelda game that is worth the hype as the previous wii titles were not as well made as the previous titles (Majora's Mask + The Windwaker). Until the game comes out, we can only hold our breath and hope for the best.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)