Kypari

Clarification Regarding Racial/offensive Slurs Being On Weapons

Is it against the rules to have a weapon that has an offensive slur as its name or description? I've always enforced this and so have multiple other staff. If offensive slurs/material are against the rules on mic and in the chat and even on sprays/objectors I don't see why we wouldn't be able to enforce the rule on people who have offensive names for their weapons that everyone can see if you inspect their weapons or get killed by them.

@Vexx reportedly said that it's allowed but I've heard from other staff and used my judgement to depict that it's against the rules

Can we please have some clarification?

+1 We disallow inappropriate images in all forms (Sprays, objectors, profile pics, etc). I don't see why this is or would be any different.

I only said it's not a rule because unfortunately, we have nothing explicitly stated in our rules saying that steam inventory items with racist or offensive names are not allowed. As much as I'd love to have such rule, it would be something incredibly hard to moderate or keep an eye on due to the fact that you'd basically have to inspect anyone and everyone to make sure they're not using a badly named weapon or item. With that being said, I'd like to hear what other people think.

as vexx said it would be incredibly hard to keep track of players with offensive renamed items. But of course if someone has pointed it out or you have seen it yourself it should be fine to ask them to change the weapon, same as you would ask someone to change an offensive objector. I support this as I hate to see any form of offensive slur which could upset somebody. so I will +1 to have the no slurs rule extended to item renames.

I only said it's not a rule because unfortunately, we have nothing explicitly stated in our rules saying that steam inventory items with racist or offensive names are not allowed. As much as I'd love to have such rule, it would be something incredibly hard to moderate or keep an eye on due to the fact that you'd basically have to inspect anyone and everyone to make sure they're not using a badly named weapon or item. With that being said, I'd like to hear what other people think.

Someone could still report it or we could see it. It wouldn't be really hard to enforce because you can just check if they're using that weapon by switching to spectator. Being as it's an offensive term being using on the server that is the reason I still acted on it.

I like the idea, but I feel like it would be a nightmare for staff to enforce. Having a bunch of rules that are too complicated/annoying to enforce in the first place is never good, and just leads to staff ignoring the rule most of the time.

That being said, i do believe it would be a good addition, if we could somehow figure out a way to do it somewhat efficiently. Maybe we could expand on the "No racism" rule to include nametags and player names?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I hope you only mean really derogatory or racist slurs, not just fuck or shit or something. If someone has an item renamed something minorly offensive but can't use it on our servers due to the name or description, it could just lead them to leave, and make it annoying for staff to enforce. I'm neutral on the topic but if it is accepted I don't want it to be so safe-spacey in terms of any slur is unaccepted.

I hope you only mean really derogatory or racist slurs, not just frick or fudge or something. If someone has an item renamed something minorly offensive but can't use it on our servers due to the name or description, it could just lead them to leave, and make it annoying for staff to enforce. I'm neutral on the topic but if it is accepted I don't want it to be so safe-spacey in terms of any slur is unaccepted.

Please don't turn xG into a safe-space

I think this depends on the situation. For example, a player is running around with a Scattergun named "Faggot Blaster" after killing a player he says "Read my weapon name. That's just for people like you xD". Then that might be a problem.

But say another player has a Displenary Action named "Black History Month". Would someone get offended? Probably, but are we really gonna micromanage players to that point? I mean, it would need to be really really offensive to have to take action on.

But needing Staff to check weapon names on top of managing the server in general?

I'd really rather not have xG become known as "The Tumblr of TF2 Servers" because we're so worried about someone possibly getting offended.

I like the idea, but I feel like it would be a nightmare for staff to enforce. Having a bunch of rules that are too complicated/annoying to enforce in the first place is never good, and just leads to staff ignoring the rule most of the time.

That being said, i do believe it would be a good addition, if we could somehow figure out a way to do it somewhat efficiently. Maybe we could expand on the "No racism" rule to include nametags and player names?

It always has been that way. I don't see why it would exclude weapon names and stuff so I think it would be a good idea to adjust the rules to state that you cannot have any racist or offensive names/weapon names or descriptions (etc).

I hope you only mean really derogatory or racist slurs, not just fuck or shit or something. If someone has an item renamed something minorly offensive but can't use it on our servers due to the name or description, it could just lead them to leave, and make it annoying for staff to enforce. I'm neutral on the topic but if it is accepted I don't want it to be so safe-spacey in terms of any slur is unaccepted.

Of course not haha. It's specifically for racial slurs but I put offensive so that multiple categories of offensive topics can be included, racism being the most common. I mean like really bad homophobia too, for example :coffee: