Megamaw

Sigh, Another Topic About Discord

So far, the only argument against Discord that I've heard is security.

You don't understand where that information is going, and that's scary, I get that. But do you know how much information Discord handles?

Literally billions of messages have been sent. It'd be ridiculous to think we, a small gaming community, would be spied on actively.

What are the pros? Well, for one, accessibility. No one uses Teamspeak anymore. How many of you use it just to get on XG's server and nothing else? It's a pretty big barrier to entry.

Discord has a browser version, and is easy as hell to install. It's not computer intensive, and it's about accessible as it gets.

Also, hey, you don't need to pay server costs anymore. That's pretty good. Or you could keep both up-- that's up to you guys.

I've also heard an off-handed comment before that it's 'not good for big communities like XG', but there was no elaboration.

Either way, as a manager of a Discord community already, I'd like to hear your questions and concerns about it, so I can answer them.

heh, the other threads about this say that we dont need one becuase of teamspeak.

if people actually wanted to talk they could either set up their own discord or just use the teamspeak server we have.

See, I'm not even saying we have to stop using teamspeak. I just think having an official Discord server would make the community WAY easier to interact with.

How many people outside of XG do you know what actually actively use teamspeak? There's really not a whole lot of communities that use the program anymore, so again, it's a big barrier to entry for people that are on the fence about XG.

Honestly stop with these threads. These are just getting beyond annoying. If you haven't read the ones before, Teamspeak has better security than Discord. Plus it's a better platform for the clan's use.

You can use Discord with your friends or something. Just stop bringing these threads up.

See, I'm not even saying we have to stop using teamspeak. I just think having an official Discord server would make the community WAY easier to interact with.

How many people outside of XG do you know what actually actively use teamspeak? There's really not a whole lot of communities that use the program anymore, so again, it's a big barrier to entry for people that are on the fence about XG.

true, i really only use teamspeak for some xG friends on tf2

They both allow multiple text channels/voice channels, have mod audit logs-- I'm just trying to understand why Teamspeak is considered better for XG's use.

Do I realize I'm not gonna convince anyone? Yeah. Do I want to know why that is? Absolutely.

Also, hey, you don't need to pay server costs anymore. That's pretty good. Or you could keep both up-- that's up to you guys.

fyi we dont pay for teamspeak either, it's on the same server box the game servers are hosted in afaik @Rhododendron can confirm

either way, if you want to use discord with or without people in xG, thats your businness

but we are not interested nor do we find the need to get an official xG server, the co-leaders can hopefully answer that (once again)

@Aegean

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

They both allow multiple text channels/voice channels, have mod audit logs-- I'm just trying to understand why Teamspeak is considered better for XG's use.

Do I realize I'm not gonna convince anyone? Yeah. Do I want to know why that is? Absolutely.

1. Discord is more used for personal use

2. Player 1 doesnt like Player 2. Player 1 finds Player 2s ip. Player 1 can now swat, ddos, etc etc.

Security is bigger than you think my friend.

I also want to tack on, that it literally takes two seconds to install and connect to our server. Same with Discord, but Rhodo is more worried about information potentially being leaked. You have to understand that.

To prevent you from having to go back to read the other threads, which you clearly knew about.

Security issues, teamspeak runs with a solid set up that has been tested over numerous years and contains some top notch security for voip/text communication, Discord is still in terms of these kinds of programs... brand new.

As seen with skype and other programs it is a very common thing to attempt to use them as a means of stealing people's information. Teamspeak already has solid protection and encryption that is doubled up on with our server using it's own protection because it is hosted on the same box as some of the servers we run.

User Friendliness, literally the same thing. instead of having constant tabs where you are able to switch servers with the click of a button, you have to... oh wait, you can do the same exact thing in teamspeak. You can even private message users on teamspeak servers as well, the only user friendly note discord has over TS that I can see is that you can PM people without having to be in their server.

Stating that nobody uses TS anymore is pretty bold, I haven't looked at official numbers but from what I can see, small communities hover around discord as it is free to set up and they don't have to rent a server. these are typically communities that form on a free forum site and play games that they don't buy servers on or can't. they just group up a lot. and then on the other end, large communities like a few subreddits due to the fact that again, it is free... from a free forum style website... meanwhile if you go to most large server hosting communities/clans you see things like TS Mumble and Ventrillo. 3 very long standing voip programs.

Remember, we are paying for teamspeak, so to seperate our community into 2 different voice channels doesn't make sense to us. That being said, we know a ton of people use discord, and if they want to participate in xG events, they must get on teamspeak if it's a populated event (i.e. game nights) but we have 0 issues with other people using their own discords or being in their friends discords even if they spend all their time on xG.

• Forums are connected automatically with teamspeak, meaning many features you have on teamspeak are due to Rhododendron coding it himself (Staff tags, donator tags, sponsor tags etc). This integration with forums to discord simply does not exist.
  • Discord has no reliability. If we shut down teamspeak and have a discord server, and discord suddenly shuts down our server or is shut down in general, who do we complain too? We don't pay them a service, they owe us nothing and can take as much time as they want to bring the servers back up. Our teamspeak server has guarantees and as long as we pay them, we know we will have a teamspeak server.
  • To use teamspeak is also free, and it is not like people are going to go to great lengths to download it.
  • Discord is MUCH harder to moderate, as text and links to a public area stays there even if other users are offline. Who would we have as staff on discord when almost every higherup uses teamspeak?

-1 once again.

Let me preface this by saying i have nothing against Discord, i think it's a lovely piece of software and i wouldn't mind if we used it. That being said, there are really valid reasons for why we don't use it over teamspeak.

If anyone is interested in the other 2 thread that were made, they can be found here and here. Since they were clearly not enough to answer all the questions regarding the discord vs teamspeak debate, here's why we haven't switched in a bit more detail

You don't understand where that information is going, and that's scary, I get that. But do you know how much information Discord handles?

Literally billions of messages have been sent. It'd be ridiculous to think we, a small gaming community, would be spied on actively.

Being afraid of being spied on is ludicrous and that's not the concern (if it was, we would stop using google adsense, google stores A LOT of data that they then sell) but that fact that they store not only chat but voice is a pretty big deal to Silence, and frankly, i get his concern. Teamspeak removes the middle man. This can be discussed forever, but that's the reasoning for it at least. People need to stop bringing up the "but muh ip will be stolen on discord" argument, that's just not how it works and your personal data cant be stolen over discord unless they get hacked. Skype is different because it's peer to peer, but discord and teamspeak works essentially the same way. (except for the self owned server stuff, but you've heard that enough already.)

What are the pros? Well, for one, accessibility. No one uses Teamspeak anymore. How many of you use it just to get on XG's server and nothing else? It's a pretty big barrier to entry.

My circle of irl friends use teamspeak, it works well enough for us to not switch over to discord. We tried, but the quality isn't quite as good, it gives you less options for both server operators and clients, and we can host it on our own for free (i realize that most people can't but it works for us). My voice chat doesn't work as well on Discord compared to teamspeak, but that's a really personal issue.

Teamspeak barely costs anything, and while we might save a couple dollars every year on switching to Discord, the sense of security is clearly something Silence deems worth it. @Aegean expanded a bit on this so i'll just refer to his post here;

• Discord has no reliability. If we shut down teamspeak and have a discord server, and discord suddenly shuts down our server or is shut down in general, who do we complain too? We don't pay them a service, they owe us nothing and can take as much time as they want to bring the servers back up. Our teamspeak server has guarantees and as long as we pay them, we know we will have a teamspeak server.

• We are paying for teamspeak, why make an official xG discord, and make our teamspeak even less valuable despite how many resources we put into it thus far?

To expand further, here are a few potential issues/kinks that would need to get sorted out. I'm sure there's more but this is what comes to mind right now.

• Hub integration would be tricky with discord, i guess we could give people fancy colors? Teamspeak offers icons, which is kinda nifty.
  • We would most likely need to program a custom bot to handle server roles, basic moderation etc. That's a LOT of work for barely any gain. The only upside i can think of is the permanent and server wide chat, which is basically a barebones version of forums.
  • Teamspeak barely needs any moderation (other than the occasional ban of a troll/micspammer).
  • If Discord goes down, we're screwed.