Egossi

Egossi - Team Fortress 2

Since @Egossi and myself were flooding the thread, we decided to talk about it in PM.

In the end we decided to agree to disagree as my belief that Egossi should work up from mod after he's proved his activity is a solution but as Egossi is obviously good at his job considering that he worked up to DM in the past, getting promoted to admin and then getting demoted if he is inactive to member is another solution. There's not really a wrong answer, it's just that I'm stricter :coffee:

Since @Egossi and myself were flooding the thread, we decided to talk about it in PM.

In the end we decided to agree to disagree as my belief that Egossi should work up from mod after he's proved his activity is a solution but as Egossi is obviously good at his job considering that he worked up to DM in the past, getting promoted to admin and then getting demoted if he is inactive to member is another solution. There's not really a wrong answer, it's just that I'm stricter :coffee:

Shit. I just finished typing my reply.

Oh well, I'll post it anyways for the heck of it, just gonna make it less noticeable and for it to be the last one. Have fun scrolling past. :^)

-

He was told before by Rejects and did know about it since Rejects leaked some stuff like higherups always do

I think activity across every position needs at least 14 hours including DM and DL.

Ah, that's a bit better.

Hmm, I personally think that despite *trying* to be active (unless being on radio silence for a long duration, referring to HighSociety as an example), and you can't meet activity quotas under said *trying* conditions, then if you're doing a well enough job, you would probably be given leniency. That in itself should have little to do with trust. I don't know how well he did with his job while being inactive at the time, so I have limited ability to speak here.

Though, I believe he mentioned that he had good reason to not be active at the time. Not sure who he may have mentioned the inactivity to, but that could also have been another time as well and I could be completely wrong.

Ehhhhhhhh..

Not going to spend time digging too deep into it, just going to throw in my 2-cents. Though first and foremost, this is based off of assumptions and is to be treated as a general response to any situation like this so, you know.. Please refrain from biting my head off, kthnx :coffee:

I just want to toss a [very] relevant comment in here that I made in another thread (one that I can't be bothered to find) in that Staff positions should not be treated as some sort of welcome basket to those who have consistently stepped-down. While I'm sure many people may dish out the "we can just demote 'em" defense if things go awry, I'm simply appealing to the integrity of Xeno Gamers as a whole. However, this isn't to say that someone should not be welcomed back with an immediate promotion from Member to Administrator [for example] because, as others have previously mentioned, it is a case-by-case situation. If the user has demonstrated qualities that shine in that position, or if they do not have a bad-track record, then I see no reason not to give them that promotion.

With that said, there are two sides to this coin:

1. There is little to no harm in promoting someone with a high turn-over rate who has an extraordinary track record, aside from having to assign powers once more. Because we run on a system of voluntary Staff, it doesn't [detrimentally] hurt us to allow someone to moderate for xG if we know they will do a stellar job, even if they consistently step down. While this may seem 'unfair' to those who are applying and are denied, keep in mind that Staff are measured by their qualities and work ethics (or at least should be; strongly recommend castrating any Higher-Up who is acting on bias) so it is to be expected that varying Staff will not be on the same level (eg. Someone who already has experience in the position will always receive [or be considered first for] the position before a new-hire).

The only foreseeable problem area here is that if this trend continues, we'll see an influx in Staff who do not feel obligated to perform their duties and therefore feel free to step-down and then re-apply when it is most convenient for them if they are a model Staff Member. In other words, this may only be a problem depending on what the standards are for Staff here in terms of the short or long run. With the way we currently have things set up in terms of activity, we're set up to keep Staff in the long run, and so this should be considered before promoting someone from Member to Administrator (enacting a new policy that those applying from Member to a position that is greater than Moderator be monitored for X amount of days before promotion would also be beneficial). Activity [from at least one week prior to the submission of the application] is the gold-standard here at xG, so before promoting anyone into a position beyond Moderator, it really ought to be considered.

2. Arguably, and structurally less important, is the harm done to the integrity of our Staff. To promote anyone [who has consistently stepped down due to loss of interest, etc] from Member to anything greater than Moderator demonstrates that they don't really have to invest as much time as they can into moderating. And before an argument is made about this, consider that to say otherwise would mean to dismiss any previous notions that the user has stepped down for frivolous reasons that do not include their personal life in some shape or form. Personally and honestly, this would have a sway in my decision on whether someone deserves that position, or if they need to prove themselves by working for it from a Moderator position.

Needless to say that all of this is subjective and varies from person to person. As always, take this with a grain of salt.

TL;DR - Don't hand out promotions from Member to above-Moderator to those who consistently step down (due to lack of interest, etc) unless you want to make a change to how activity works. Otherwise, you're practically creating a new position for inactive Staff.

"TL;DR - Don't hand out promotions from Member to above-Moderator to those who consistently step down (due to lack of interest, etc) unless you want to make a change to how activity works. Otherwise, you're practically creating a new position for inactive Staff."

-@Forest (backspaced too far for formatting, too lazy to redo)

This thread has obviously moved past my mostly joking statement, so I just want to say that

1. My vouch still stands for whichever position, mod/admin/no promotion(rekt boio) the higher ups decide most fit.

2. My specific exit from DM was a situation whefe I was told by my DL that I was being demoted to admin, and since my activity issues and life stuff that made it hard to DM were still there, I just stepped down all the way. Not sure if this would affect my re-application differently than @Egossi 's situation, I just wanted to point out for the purpose of full disclosure that our situations were different.

3. As to what forest said, I've long thought a separate admin-adjacent position (vote powers, though most that would qualify are uber donators so probably a non issue) for longtime staff that either step down/reapply alot, or might not be very active but are 100% trustworthy of the position. This position would be outside of the normal ladder and could only be added/removed/vouched for by Dm/DL/CM's. It would be harder to gain, with much laxer standards to maintain the position(besides abuse rules still applying equally obviously) just a thought, some variation could work.

Egossi is an extraordinarily outstanding person. From what I heard he was an awesome staff member in the past. I understand that him applying for Admin and skipping Moderator is unfair to most. My application had been open for 2 promo/demos and I still hardly think I deserve prob mod with my pc problem. But anyways, back to my reason to agree on the skipping moderator.

A majority of the people here know him from being staff, a lot, but not all say that he was awesome. When I talk to him, he has the personality of someone who can take charge, isn't afraid to be shot down, all while not being a dick. He is a fun person to talk to and loves playing with other people. This man is the kind of person that deserves to skip moderator.

Egossi, you are an awesome person and I really hope that you get this. Best of luck. +1