Aegean

PSA about the recent drama / conflicts

I think it's pretty clear to a majority of members that there has been feelings of hostility amongst a large number of staff and members, varied from group to group. I just wanted to shed some light on the issue, and would like to have an open conversation to hopefully resolve some of the underlying matters behind it. We know there's a lot of "cliques" amongst all the different discord servers with xG members, but still our stance is not changed that although we prefer you to use our teamspeak server, we have no plan to force you to use teamspeak as long as you don't encourage members on the server to use discord instead.

First of all, you do NOT need to like everyone, as a community there will always be people who prefer their own group of friends to others, or just don't mesh well with a certain individual. That being said, to not like someone is not an excuse to make them feel unwelcome or to gang up on them with your friends. We are a gaming community, and as we are getting bigger, there will be more groups of friends who have different personalities and interests, the last thing we want is for new members to feel the hostility or to feel unwelcome.

In regards concerning attitude towards staff, even if you're staff yourself, please understand that you do not know their situation and that treating them like garbage because they should be doing their "job" is definitely not okay. Being a moderator or higher on our servers is a position that we can't give enough thanks for, because the staff are what hold our servers together. We would not be where we are today, if we didn't have so many willing mods, admins, or higher ups who were willing to sacrifice their time (and sometimes money) to give everyone else a more pleasant experience.

The overall message is just to be more respectful towards one another, and try to have some empathy the next time you interact with someone you aren't familiar with.

Yeah this needed to be said. There was a few conflicts that ive seen that seemed unlike I have seen on here before. I too would also like to thank all of the staff members and higher-ups. I know I have been here for a little over a year and some since the beginning, but we as a community wouldn't be here today and as big as we are today if you guys didn't show up or didn't volunteer to help keep the servers clean. I don't think I would be here if the community was as toxic as the last one I was apart of. i feel welcome here and thats saying a lot after the countless times Ive tried other clans.

Would also like to thank all the members we have gotten within these past 6 months. Thank you for stopping in and saying hi. You guys help make the clan what it is today.

I'm glad you brought this up Aegean, I've noticed that the community has been a lot more tense recently, even though I haven't been in any xG discord groups. I think part of the problem is a lack of clarity on what kind of respect is tolerated on xG, a lack of clarity between both staff and players. Furthermore, I think that jokes involving the illusion of disrespect have set a precedent that disrespect towards players & staff is simply turned a blind eye to.

To me, it seems like racism is the biggest taboo, followed by disrespect centered around sex, sexual orientation, disability, and finally national origin (plus others I can't remember). I don't get why these are on a unspoken list of 'bad to not-as-bad", and even enforced by staff with warnings/punishments based on this list. Usually, insensitive jokes involving items lower on the list are allowed to pass, and I think this might be contributing to the issue. Now, I'm not saying every staff member does this, but I feel like I've noticed this mentality in xG over the past half-year I've been around.

Currently, some of the rule lists state that racism specifically is disallowed. There's another which states racism and sexism are disallowed, and yet another which states disrespect in general is disallowed, and even goes into detail listing of some of the examples I mentioned earlier. I think the inconsistencies in the guides are causing confusion on what level of jokes involving the illusion of disrespect are allowed to pass.

For example, imagine I've just joined one of xG's servers, and the first thing I hear over the mic is someone joking with their friend, saying something like "Girls can't play video games, they're too frail and delicate!". The players who are joking have known each other for years, the staff members online have also known them for years, and understand the satire in the joke. However, I would be under the impression that sexism is general is allowed on xG servers if I was new.

You could always argue that I should read the !motd, but honestly, what percentage of players are actually going to bother reading the !motd? Especially if they're newer to the server and don't have anything to lose of they get banned anyways, so why should they waste their time reading the rules? Besides, like I said earlier, there is inconsistencies in the rule lists.

I think it's kinda been a subconscious mentality, and frankly, I'm probably just overanalyzing the situation, but I wanted to share my genuine observations on this issue, and speculation as to what might be causing it. Has anyone else noticed this trend?