Jacklyn

Slurs Thread Redux

If you don't agree with it on a personal level and notice other people saying no, what makes you think that those people don't get offended by slurs? The rule isn't in place to annoy Jackie, its there for the greater good of other people who do get offended.

If People want to be offended then thats their problem

As staff members, it's our duty to stop people from disrespecting other people and make sure everyone has a good time to as far as a degree as possible. People getting offended would make them want to leave the servers.

If you don't agree with it that's fine. I disagree with some rules myself, such as the old teleport-spawncamping rule. You just have to work with it though sadly.

I'll work with it but I just wanted to express my personal opinion on it

who the fuck cares if people get offended. Boo hoo

Don't take this the wrong way, but the same could be said regarding those who don't agree with the rules and regulations that we have set in place. I understand that this whole thing can (and most likely is) be frustrating, but to engage in a discussion as monumental as this while retaining a closed-minded perspective is only going to exacerbate your own attitude or behaviour on the topic at hand. In other words, if you want to have a civil discussion, then I would not recommend going down the "but it's a stupid rule anyways" route or to start letting it affect you on a personal level, which seems to be happening based on your responses. Mind you, I'm not saying that you aren't capable of having this sort of discussion so much as I am saying that in order for your own opinion to have any sort of credibility or sway, you need to be able to receive feedback/criticism in a constructive way.

With that said, you need to realize that the enforcement of rules and regulations based on a Staff Member's preference is something that is incredibly difficult to manage. On paper, it is a completely viable way of cutting down on bias; but in practice it is an incredibly difficult thing to do. In all fairness, we only have one or two Division Managers who manage the Staff of their respective Division. There is absolutely no way they can monitor every single Staff Member during every hour of the day.

This is why we rely so heavily on our Players for feedback. If you can provide names and ample evidence to support claims that the Staff in question is/are working outside of our own rules, then our Higher-Ups can address the problem areas directly. Our Players are our eyes and ears on the Servers when our Higher-Ups cannot be. As previously mentioned in your other thread, this is why we have 'Member Protest' and 'Report Abuse' sections of our forums: to address problem areas with Members or Staff.

For the record, I agree 100% that there is definitely a large amount of bias in terms of what Staff say, do, or even enforce in terms of rules. I've seen my fair share of contradictory actions, but it is what it is and there is only so much our Higher-Ups can do.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't take this the wrong way, but the same could be said regarding those who don't agree with the rules and regulations that we have set in place. I understand that this whole thing can (and most likely is) be frustrating, but to engage in a discussion as monumental as this while retaining a closed-minded perspective is only going to exacerbate your own attitude or behaviour on the topic at hand. In other words, if you want to have a civil discussion, then I would not recommend going down the "but it's a stupid rule anyways" route or to start letting it affect you on a personal level, which seems to be happening based on your responses. Mind you, I'm not saying that you aren't capable of having this sort of discussion so much as I am saying that in order for your own opinion to have any sort of credibility or sway, you need to be able to receive feedback/criticism in a constructive way.

With that said, you need to realize that the enforcement of rules and regulations based on a Staff Member's preference is something that is incredibly difficult to manage. On paper, it is a completely viable way of cutting down on bias; but in practice it is an incredibly difficult thing to do. In all fairness, we only have one or two Division Managers who manage the Staff of their respective Division. There is absolutely no way they can monitor every single Staff Member during every hour of the day.

This is why we rely so heavily on our Players for feedback. If you can provide names and ample evidence to support claims that the Staff in question is/are working outside of our own rules, then our Higher-Ups can address the problem areas directly. Our Players are our eyes and ears on the Servers when our Higher-Ups cannot be. As previously mentioned in your other thread, this is why we have 'Member Protest' and 'Report Abuse' sections of our forums: to address problem areas with Members or Staff.

For the record, I agree 100% that there is definitely a large amount of bias in terms of what Staff say, do, or even enforce in terms of rules. I've seen my fair share of contradictory actions, but it is what it is and there is only so much our Higher-Ups can do.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I dont listen to what you have to say. I do keep a fairly open mind and I did in the last thread too, I agreed with some of the counter points people made to the thread and that's why I made a revised one after taking in what people said.

who the fuck cares if people get offended. Boo hoo

We care because xG is a community in which we respect one another! Just because you're apparently immune to being hurt on a personal level doesn't mean others are! Until you understand the background and stories of each and every individual, you have no right to make that statement. Just because you don't care if people hurt each other on xG, doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't.

If People want to be offended then thats their problem

No, it's not! If someone's going out of their way to verbally attack someone for no reason, THEY are the ones causing the problem!

I can sympathize with SOME of what you say, but please be careful in the future about making extremely generalized statements on how you think things should be on xG, without even justifying yourself.

We care because xG is a community in which we respect one another! Just because you're apparently immune to being hurt on a personal level doesn't mean others are! Until you understand the background and stories of each and every individual, you have no right to make that statement. Just because you don't care if people hurt each other on xG, doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't.

No, it's not! If someone's going out of their way to verbally attack someone for no reason, THEY are the ones causing the problem!

I can sympathize with SOME of what you say, but please be careful in the future about making extremely generalized statements on how you think things should be on xG, without even justifying yourself.

I feel as though its different if someone is trying to directly attack a player using slurs or what not, and the rule works in that situation. But it seems unnecessary to me if it's indirect or general.

It doesn't matter what background you come from I still think it's bad to be too sensitive with words. sticks and stones my dude, I've had slurs thrown at me a lot and I've learned to shake it off overtime, which I feel everyone else should learn to do too because it's beneficial to have thick skin in this world.

@Jacklyn Just wanted to touch up on the inconsistency matter from my point of view and why there isn't a simple "how-to" instruction for staff. Aside from me and other staff finding different things insulting to us or having different levels of leniency based on our own experiences, the other issue is that not everything is black and white when you're administrating servers. If someone says fuck you to an admin, and says fuck you to his friend, those are different issues that we can't just pin as "oh he said fuck you, that's an instant mute".

Staff should be taking context when handling punishments, and if our rules tells you not to use racial slurs in our servers, and you choose to do so, there is no inconsistency if they choose to punish you for it, especially after you've been warned. There would be inconsistency if they didn't punish you, and then that means the staff who didn't punish you was more lenient, not that you weren't breaking rules in the first place.

Police in real life are the exact same way, going 10 miles too fast by some cops might be an instant ticket whereas other cops might give you a warning. It also depends on your attitude of course, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

At the end of the day, we want everyone to have an enjoyable experience, and if your enjoyment only comes from being able to use racial slurs on our servers or hearing it, this community is not that type of place.

We don’t have these rules to bore or ruin your time in our servers, we have them to keep things in order and peaceful while still having a fun and friendly environment.

If we didn’t have the rules that we have, I don’t even want to imagine what it would be like.

@Jacklyn Just wanted to touch up on the inconsistency matter from my point of view and why there isn't a simple "how-to" instruction for staff. Aside from me and other staff finding different things insulting to us or having different levels of leniency based on our own experiences, the other issue is that not everything is black and white when you're administrating servers. If someone says fuck you to an admin, and says fuck you to his friend, those are different issues that we can't just pin as "oh he said fuck you, that's an instant mute".

Staff should be taking context when handling punishments, and if our rules tells you not to use racial slurs in our servers, and you choose to do so, there is no inconsistency if they choose to punish you for it, especially after you've been warned. There would be inconsistency if they didn't punish you, and then that means the staff who didn't punish you was more lenient, not that you weren't breaking rules in the first place.

Police in real life are the exact same way, going 10 miles too fast by some cops might be an instant warning, whereas other cops might give you a warning. It also depends on your attitude of course, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

At the end of the day, we want everyone to have an enjoyable experience, and if your enjoyment only comes from being able to use racial slurs on our servers or hearing it, this community is not that type of place.

My enjoyment doesn't really hinge on this that much, I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter.