Elcark

Hurricane Harvey

I'm not really sure what all to say here as I don't normally pay attention to things that aren't happening outside my window, but as many people likely know Texas is currently being hit by the devastating hurricane Harvey. I won't bore with too many details (it would only take a simple google search to get plenty of such) but in short the damage and especially the flooding being caused by this storm, especially in the Houston metropolitan area, is incredibly devastating.

Tens of thousands are being affected right now and many more will be as the storm continues, with nearby states likely being affected as well in the next few days. This includes folks we know in our little community (as well as people here you or I may not know live there), as well as people I know personally who I have yet to hear back from since the storm hit. I simply felt the need for this to be made to further awareness of the situation and to give shout outs and regards (and prays if you're into that sort of thing) to our fellow xenogamers going through this disaster.

Now for the extra ambitious, there isn't much that can be done to help from afar. That being said, donations to relief agencies are always a possible option. For anyone curious or willing to do such, a simple effort I'd point you towards would be this here I support the American Red Cross

where you can (and i'd recommend) select where you'd specifically like your donation to go to with the "I want to support" drop menu, with hurricane harvey being at the bottom. Now I by no means would want to ask anyone to go and donate, but at the same time would absolutely not discourage anyone from doing so.

Lastly, for those of you currently suffering from this disaster, please stay safe and I hope the situation improves as quickly as possible.

amedia2.s_nbcnews.com_j_newscms_2017_34_2134036_170827_hurrica0c5686cd73908c3ce4c9079d466c4547.jpg.863485cc75fceabc9d14681b0266819f.jpg

ai2_cdn_cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_170826112915_13_hurricane_harvey_0826_rockport_exlarge_169.jpg.312f62f95e85f53b82413eee54fdfeb5.jpg

ai2_wp.com_alanjudi.com_wp_content_uploads_2017_08_houston_befa5e5e2ddbb737f410a945d9530e5bc65.jpg.92361c34d6b723d206efe915eb3f9142.jpg

This goes on for the rest of the week.

Because the ground has already been saturated by thunderstorms as the hurricane approached, there's no where for the water to percolate. As a result, it will continue building up and flooding, there's no where else for it to go. Warning have been issues as far inland as central Texas, it's that bad!

Thanks for bringing this up @Elcark and for the donation tip, will definitely be donating.

I can't donate now because I need the money, but I would donate because my Mom's boyfriend's daughter lives in Waco, Texas and they got hit with serious flooding.

Also not sure if anybody has seen the dogs and cats tied up outside... flood-6.jpg.4dc28cd6e3b612d8e549ecd642ce3b12.jpg

It breaks my heart to see people who just leave their dogs out there while the owners just flee somewhere else.

flood-3.jpg.f80bec70c6d9df11017807746310bd1e.jpg

tied-abandoned-dog-flood-texans.thumb.png.8c24301e323a999b1b9a3a8e2e2e7d14.png

I live two states away from Texas and we got some rain too :D

Not as bad as them but the more older areas did get flooded where I live.

I already donated :D

Plus my school is doing something to help

Also tip for if you want to help:

SEND MONEY

It's better that you send money to trusted organization so that they can use it for what is useful during this situation. Unless given specific instruction to send clothes n such your safe bet is Mun Muns.