Aegean

A Open Discussion About Teamspeak (Please read if you're staff)

If the staff used teamspeak in the first place, you would be doing the same single message on teamspeak as you were discord, and if it is something major that really needs to be addressed to all staff instead of a "i'm logging off now guys" that should be something you message the DM/DLs of the division and let them handle distributing the information.

Good job avoiding all my points. Noone reads text in ts. Literally noone. That's why I stopped using it in the first place. Next, when I need to let staff know that someone is up for a ban next you can't assume they're always in teamspeak. It is a fact it takes longer to message everyone privately than to just @everyone. It's a matter of leaving a post people can reference later. Literally I can go to the search bar and look for a username to see if he has been mentioned. If you're going to debate my arguement don't just cherry pick what you think you can handle. It comes off like you haven't even used discord.

Just one thing I wanna point out is that i don't understand why people care about the interface that much

do you even look at your discord every second you're on there?

i personally like the simplicity of teamspeak and how well it does its job, plus the voice quality overall has more options and can be much better than discord

and anyone else saying it's "super ugly" there are skins available that are IMO much better than discord UI but the default is also pretty nice.

hit me up with some skins fam on steam, i'm actually really curious!

Also, i'm not sure if people know what overwolf is but it's a really nice tool for teamspeak that really helps you interact with people in chat while in game, giving you a notification and telling you who currently is talking. You can install it when installing teamspeak. it's really rad.

@ThunderLimes

you have a few fair points, your biggest one though "and it's just an overall better platform to make a server and talk to a small group of friends."

I agree it's nicer when it's a small group of friends, but having a 100+ people all in one discord would not be something feasible. I want to get everyone on the same VOIP which is why I want us to be on teamspeak. Anyways, thanks for the input regardless :)

Good job avoiding all my points. Noone reads text in ts. Literally noone. That's why I stopped using it in the first place. Next, when I need to let staff know that someone is up for a ban next you can't assume they're always in teamspeak. It is a fact it takes longer to message everyone privately than to just @everyone. It's a matter of leaving a post people can reference later. Literally I can go to the search bar and look for a username to see if he has been mentioned. If you're going to debate my arguement don't just cherry pick what you think you can handle. It comes off like you haven't even used discord.

You didn't post any points, your post was literally "if i want to tell people something i can @everyone" and that's it. As far as letting people know someone is "up for a ban next" you guys really really need to go over how to properly be a staff member. that is not how staff should be doing things, you shouldn't be banning someone for something because some other staff member said that they were "up for a ban next" you should be basing all of your own bans and kicks etc. off of what you experience in game with said player. (the exception being ban requests, as that is something only the higher ups can ban based off of anyway. this type of discussion is something that I think needs to be had and the staff need to have their expectations and standards reset based off of your response here, and the recent issues going on in TF2 staff specifically with ban protests and ban requests. @Aegean @Forest

You didn't post any points, your post was literally "if i want to tell people something i can @everyone" and that's it. As far as letting people know someone is "up for a ban next" you guys really really need to go over how to properly be a staff member. that is not how staff should be doing things, you shouldn't be banning someone for something because some other staff member said that they were "up for a ban next" you should be basing all of your own bans and kicks etc. off of what you experience in game with said player. (the exception being ban requests, as that is something only the higher ups can ban based off of anyway. this type of discussion is something that I think needs to be had and the staff need to have their expectations and standards reset based off of your response here, and the recent issues going on in TF2 staff specifically with ban protests and ban requests. @Aegean @Forest

To be fair, I think it's fine if someone is constantly causing problems that the staff talk about who is giving issues to warn the other staff that they don't deserve any warnings (If they have already received these warnings recently for the same problem of course)

Aside from that, the @everyone is a double edged sword. I know a few people who disable notifications to not get spammed from @everyone.

10/10 reading. Again you ignore me. It's like you read the first sentence and think "o wow this person is dumb lemme fix dat" and obviously you don't know how staffing works. Punishment is accumulated. If someone is banned for an hour than repeats the same offense it goes to a day ban. Our staff does their best to stay in communication about issues in the most convenient ways. Putting the responsibility like expecting them to be on teamspeak 24/7 is fucking dumb. When staff are in game they shouldn't need an ok to fo their damn job. If you have a problem with how staffing is done then find new staff, becuase I won't stand for myself or the other staff being put on the spot of " and the staff need to have their expectations and standards reset based off of your response here" you can fuck right off if you think so poorly of our staff. They do their job the best they can. Sitting here bundling every staff up as a collective idiot ia downright disgusting. It's pointless even arguing with you becuase you won't even read my response anyways. This is my last reply.

I've been using discord a lot more recently and I think it's time we consider making the swap as a community. Everyone has their respective points in this thread, but as of right now teamspeak is really just people in community channels, any of the real channels are rarely used.

I'll be brief with the logistics, but, Discord would be more beneficial compared to teamspeak at this point for our community.

• We'll still have seclusion of private/community channels.
  • Everything we have on teamspeak right now can be integrated into our discord server (minus subchannels).
  • A truly centralized server for all the divisions, the popularity of our tf2 division might be able to assist our CS:GO division (or others) if we have an official discord. This would be the equivalence of CS members from teamspeak spilling over to gmod+minecraft years ago.
  • Furthering my previous point, all the members of our community will be able to socialize easily with general chats and open channels.
  • Announcements will be easier to do and get across our community due to the nature of notifications on the platform. People utilizing the discord server are more likely to see any notification from it.

I can't stress enough how powerful bots for discord can be compared to ts3.

Honestly, my argument in the past has been that bigger discords are a shit show to manage. This is due to me not being in a big discord that is well managed. Well managed discords with large communities are actually nice when you have an adequate amount of staff and bots for managing chat (typically, you want to automate this). So I will retract my statements from previous threads and say bigger discords can be managed successfully (if not better than teamspeak).

10/10 reading. Again you ignore me. It's like you read the first sentence and think "o wow this person is dumb lemme fix dat" and obviously you don't know how staffing works. Punishment is accumulated. If someone is banned for an hour than repeats the same offense it goes to a day ban. Our staff does their best to stay in communication about issues in the most convenient ways. Putting the responsibility like expecting them to be on teamspeak 24/7 is fucking dumb. When staff are in game they shouldn't need an ok to fo their damn job. If you have a problem with how staffing is done then find new staff, becuase I won't stand for myself or the other staff being put on the spot of " and the staff need to have their expectations and standards reset based off of your response here" you can fuck right off if you think so poorly of our staff. They do their job the best they can. Sitting here bundling every staff up as a collective idiot ia downright disgusting. It's pointless even arguing with you becuase you won't even read my response anyways. This is my last reply.

I think the person only reading the first word of a response here is you.

It's drab, I mainly use text becuase most of the time I can't use mic, and discord has better meme posting. Oh and if I want to notify a lot of people I can just use the @everyone. Instead of messaging all staff individually. Discord has just been easier.

The jist of this is that it's easier for you to type text to @everyone in discord than it is in teamspeak (not wrong here, but you can just type a message in teamspeak too [that only goes to the people in the teamspeak channel])

Your second post was literally garbage wasting space saying i don't know how to read, and that i don't use discord. I do, I enjoy discord with my friends who I have from real life and we play games once in a while. We use it quite well, and it is enjoyable i'm also subscribed to a few others that my out of state friends use. could they use teamspeak? absolutely, infact they have when they play games that I use TS for.

I didn't say based solely off your response here that all tf2 staff are garbage and need re-evaluated. I will however say based off of your responses that you are someone who should re-evaluate yourself, you are taking a criticism in a discussion and getting bent out of shape over it. I clearly stated that it was based off of recent issues within the TF2 staff mostly based on ban requests and ban protests that were "controversial" (brian, the other dude with a loli spray), when you reset expectations, you have to reset them for everyone not just one individual, that way everyone is on the exact same page in terms of expectations I don't think poorly of staff, I have been a member for 6 years and the majority of it as staff in some way or form (M A DM DL) and I know what staff have to deal with, it sucks. but that doesn't mean they can be allowed to run amok and do things based on improper reasoning. Yes letting fellow staff know that something happened and to keep an eye out is fine, or saying "hey i just kicked this guy for x, if he does it again he should probably be banned" but all of staff decisions need to be based on legitimate experience, you saying "hey this guy was just kicked for mic spamming next time he needs banned" doesn't mean in 3 days he is spamming mic he should be banned. Punishment is definitely accumulated but only to an extent, the major issues recently have been taking that as a literal statement and bumping up to increased length and type of punishment for unrelated reasons. (again, see: brian)

To liken this to real world since that might make it easier to understand, when you break a law such as theft, you pay a fine, next time you steal you go to jail you go for x time, and then you are let out. you do it again, jail is probably longer. now you're out again and you got a parking ticket... the way tf2 staff have been going recently that would mean you are put in jail for x3 the time over a parking ticket because you went to jail x and x2 for theft. That is why the staff need expectations reset, and don't you dare try to deny it because your posts in this thread alone are condoning this kind of staff behavior

Staff don't need to ask permission to do their job but they are expected to do it properly, and when they are not they either get demoted or talked to, I prefer to talk to staff (which I did all the time as a DL/DM because it is better and far easier to correct a mistake than it is to just remove powers and not teach why it was wrong.

Alrighty, so I've used the xG Teamspeak before in the past, but the main reason I don't (or rarely use it) is simply because I can't keep up with too many people talking at once.

Any time I'd join TS and someone start talking, someone would ask me a question on TF2 and I couldn't hear either. I'd just rather be talking to the people I'm playing with rather than hear 15 people yelling on mic about their intense game of CS:GO/LoL/Spider Solitaire.

I have Discord... But never use it. I literally only got it so I could download YGOPro... I'm just not super conversational, so even if someone invited me to use Discord, I would decline. It's not a matter of "Oh, this one's easier to use" or "Oh, this one's got a better UI", or "Oh, this one doesn't get into my PC and inject Bonzi Buddy directly into my OS", just a matter of me not being conversational...

However, I would consider using Teamspeak again, especially if Higher-ups feel like it could keep us staff connected and have a much more open line of communication. There's not really anything that would convice me to use TS more other than fellow Staff and TF2 Div members motivating me to do so.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I'm gonna be real here. The reason why I don't use TeamSpeak that much is because I simply don't wanna talk to people.

If I'm playing games, I wanna focus on games [unless I'm playing with real life friends] and if I'm doing something else, I don't wanna talk to people that are basically strangers to me.

>But you are a higher up!!!

Yes, very true. I'm not saying my argument is legitimate here, but that's the reason. Of course I have joined staff meetings and private higher up chats before and I have no problem with that, but I generally simply don't wanna talk to people that I don't really know.

This does not imply that I'm not using TS at all. Before I went on that trip, I was there for at least a few hours everyday to play with my irl friends. Even @xCabrio joined at some point. I'm just saying that I personally dislike it.

EDIT: In response to Chrono: I have been a lot on TeamSpeak with my irl friends recently. You must have missed me, which is kinda not avoidable since I'm going to school and I live in a different time zone.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)