Aegean

New Map For xG, need opinions!

As you guys know, a user @LemonMeister wanted to make us a map, so before being able to discuss how much it will cost, we must decide as a community what we want.

We have already decided on a trade map server as anything else might be too expensive or take too long, and I think after talking to @virr that we want a new pokemon map based on another city that hasn't been done, but we want your input! What city should it emulate, what do you think would be fun for not only you, but fellow xG members and staff! If you want a TGH map instead, feel free to post your reasons why and what you would want!

My personal thoughts that we need in the very least:

• Balanced Spawns
  • Secrets (nothing unbalanced)
  • Visually pleasing throughout the map
  • Memes?

What would you guys want?

@Bello @mrnutty12 @Vexx @Bone @Elcark @Rhododendron

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

A music room, preferably with "sand", not everyone should be forced to listen to it though, only if you're around the music room.

Also lots of actually good copyrighted music, artists like "The Black Keys" come to mind.

And xG memes everywhere, the "are you insane!?" emote, tatost's head, maybe an image of a duck with the title that says "the dark lord".

From what I've personally seen, tgh has a lot of maps, but we usually only play on a minority of them. In terms of which server, tgh or poketrade, should get the map, I think that poketrade should get it, as it has a lot smaller choice of maps than trade gaming history does, and the community has explored the ideas of adding quite a few new pokemon maps. So far, nearly all of the pokemon maps have been very unbalanced, one-sided, made only to be accurate to the games they're from instead of incorporating balance into them. TGH can always get more gaming history maps, since lots have been churned out.

tl;dr - poketrade because most of the maps we tried have sucked

Oh like we can actually choose what the map will be?

If that's case I'd throw my hat in for a new poketrade map as well tbh, the options we have there are like 2 maps, the rest being duped.

Castelia City comes to mind. A huge sprawling city, lots of buildings, etc.

awww.serebii.net_pokearth_maps_unova_28.png.2d4d1805b6dcc938209f854d9e4a4fd3.png

and the best part is that the city is pretty split up rather than just being one single sniper-lane like every other map we have.

Icirrus city would also be interesting due to height variation, although it would be super open and compound all the sniper issues we currently have.

awww.serebii.net_pokearth_maps_unova_40.png.2c750b3e3d08462bdae969dfb4341119.png

also there's dragon tower next to icirrus which could easily function as a spawn, while the cave functions as an alternate spawn.

acdn.bulbagarden.net_upload_thumb_a_ae_Castelia_City.png_300px_Castelia_City.png.63bfb652a53970d397cb657f60c95f7d.png

avignette_wikia_nocookie_net_pokemon_images_d_d6_Icirrus_City_eda2dbf487e5d861cfcb5d0e45dcafec.png.f2ea1224ae06087b60196b8ce30573c8.png

A music room, preferably with "sand", not everyone should be forced to listen to it though, only if you're around the music room.

Also lots of actually good copyrighted music, artists like "The Black Keys" come to mind.

And xG memes everywhere, the "are you insane!?" emote, tatost's head, maybe an image of a duck with the title that says "the dark lord".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_B9znfZ7Ws

@LAN_Megalodon Castelia City would be a rather daunting task to make in the Source engine, as everything's on a grid. You can imagine what it would be like trying to make a circular city with buildings at every angle.

Yeah, I tried loading it up in blender, it looks insane. (and not in a way that's good for hammer)

Edited by LAN_Megalodon (see edit history)

so, if we're gonna be doing grid like maps, then we should try gen 4 and below, for future advice.

looking through gen 3, there are many cities I found that could work.

let's go through the list:

Ever Grande City

acdn.bulbagarden.net_upload_e_ec_Ever_Grande_City_ORAS.thumb.png.5656e0bca102c509cbdcc6d3e2346342.png

This map, though a little - and obviously - edge oriented, is mostly linear, with what can be seen as a waterfall, ledges, and a tunnel entrance to Victory Road. If we were to design the map adequately, a spawn could be made in the waterfall, and another in the tunnel. Though small, i believe a candidate could be made out of this.

Lilycove City

acdn.bulbagarden.net_upload_6_6f_Lilycove_City_ORAS.png.b9416a56ee008b0d5757158d28df24de.png

A bigger map, Lilycove is yet another island-ish city that is kind of similar to Goldenrod. With the Team Aqua/Magma hideout in the upper right, and the Harbor in the bottom left, an easy yet in depth design could be formed from this. If you haven't caught on yet, these are all Gen 3 maps.

Mossdeep City

acdn.bulbagarden.net_upload_0_0d_Mossdeep_City_ORAS.png.e06e5945869a57d0b252c821a1f9ddef.png

Man, all of these cities are close to water huh? Mossdeep city has quite an open area, which isn't bad, but also has the close corners of the buildings to protect some other forms of play. An Ideal map, I suppose.

Rustboro City

acdn.bulbagarden.net_upload_e_e0_Rustboro_City_ORAS.thumb.png.7064ea6811b8c1e23fb5762df5f671a3.png

An early in-game map, Rustboro is reminiscent of something like Goldenrod, which could be seen as an up or down. Nothing special here, really, but simple.

Finally, Slateport City

acdn.bulbagarden.net_upload_3_3c_Slateport_City_ORAS.thumb.png.1d53a47dcbde4827a870febe89ee7c08.png

Quite the plaza, Slateport has the functionality as two different areas; the beach and the city itself. With all of the tents in the market, a (gasp) actual trading area could be set in place! Much potential.

I'm not here to guide towards one specific map, form your own opinions.

so, if we're gonna be doing grid like maps, then we should try gen 4 and below, for future advice.

looking through gen 3, there are many cities I found that could work.

let's go through the list:

Ever Grande City

[attach=full]32239[/attach]

This map, though a little - and obviously - edge oriented, is mostly linear, with what can be seen as a waterfall, ledges, and a tunnel entrance to Victory Road. If we were to design the map adequately, a spawn could be made in the waterfall, and another in the tunnel. Though small, i believe a candidate could be made out of this.

Lilycove City

[attach=full]32242[/attach]

A bigger map, Lilycove is yet another island-ish city that is kind of similar to Goldenrod. With the Team Aqua/Magma hideout in the upper right, and the Harbor in the bottom left, an easy yet in depth design could be formed from this. If you haven't caught on yet, these are all Gen 3 maps.

Mossdeep City

[attach=full]32245[/attach]

Man, all of these cities are close to water huh? Mossdeep city has quite an open area, which isn't bad, but also has the close corners of the buildings to protect some other forms of play. An Ideal map, I suppose.

Rustboro City

[attach=full]32248[/attach]

An early in-game map, Rustboro is reminiscent of something like Goldenrod, which could be seen as an up or down. Nothing special here, really, but simple.

Finally, Slateport City

[attach=full]32251[/attach]

Quite the plaza, Slateport has the functionality as two different areas; the beach and the city itself. With all of the tents in the market, a (gasp) actual trading area could be set in place! Much potential.

I'm not here to guide towards one specific map, form your own opinions.

Rustboro and slate look like goldenrod so no.

But Mossdeep and Lilycove look kinda perfect if lemon can make it pretty well.

Ever Grande has too much water and it wouldnt really be great for gameplay

So either mossdeep or lilycove looks the best from that angle

A heads up as far as things "looking like goldenrod", it should be noted that I'm gonna be making this map in a more TF2-esque style, so no matter what you pick, it'll look different. Also, for sake of gameplay, there'll be more to the map than just recreating a location. Will have added paths, secrets, etc

@LAN_Megalodon Icirrus city is great idea.

@OneGlove all of those look great, but I agree we might want to stick to smaller maps, so some might be too big.

Besides the ones already brought up, here's my top 3:

Sootopolis City

aorig06.deviantart.net_180f_f_2010_344_4_1_sootopolis_city_by_princelegendario_d34kx4f.thumb.png.79f6d68db8ee6b58c61090d8b0b05ee2.png

Mt. Pyre

(Also Mt. Coronet is cool)

avignette1_wikia_nocookie_net_pokemon_images_5_5a_Mt_Pyre_ORASaf3c620b16a5dd80897dacf7c6dc6044.png.5cf67f4d093065ed6b03f5672774ac0b.png

Victory Road (XY or ORAS)

awww.serebii.net_pokearth_maps_kalos_50_outsidewest.jpg.576c0da623a2fb6105fccf74f5bdaf11.jpg

awww.serebii.net_pokearth_maps_hoenn_oras_80_2f.jpg.b320681a64bf440ac3d8ebbc350a0036.jpg

The XY league castle might be cool, too.

amedia_cerulean.cursecdn.com_attachments_thumbnails_12_972_530_530_walkthrough_e4_elitefour.png.3942d3c664f256c267501e80c93c4fc2.png

Also all of these have great music to them, too :emoji_smile:

Edited by james8470 (see edit history)

As someone who has spent a HUGE amount of time playing on various trade maps, I only have one request. A metric ton of Minigames.

Stuff to do, fun little secrets, maybe even unlock-able areas that open to even more Minigames. Like, a Minigame to unlock Minigames.

Music room would be good too, but for those who are annoyed by it, just make it an ambient_generic with a radius rather than play everywhere. This way, the music plays in the music area while all the other areas of the map can have their own music.