Elcark

FF2 Special Weapon Ideas

So to catch everything up in one place, to replace the playpoints system that used to give bonuses to players on the freak fortress server, we are construction a number of special weapons. These function as typical unique tf2 weapons with new attributes that are already in place when equipping one of them. A number have been completed already (listed below) but to make them feel a bit more finished we are asking for any ideas for a few more you would like to see added.

Now in principle, these weapons shouldn't just be taking any old tf2 weapon and increasing it's stats to make it stronger. Ideally they should be somewhat gimmicky and the more unique the better. They should definitely be powerful to warrant using them, but not so universally better that it is a must to take them over any other weapon. They are more idealistic to offer an alternate play style or make a less viable play style more worthwhile. It is also a goal to prevent the ability to use more than one of any of these weapons at a time. 

Lastly, it's important to note at this time rocket launchers are not working with custom attributes. Don't be afraid to suggest any, but don't expect any to be added just yet (We already have a few ideas for some once/if we can). 

Current weapons

Warrior's Spirit (hyper heavy)
Grants a speed boost
Removes primary and secondary ammo

The Gas Passer
Explode's on ignite

The Thermal Thruster 
Stuns when landing near the boss

Splendid Screen and Tide Turner
(Nearly) Instantaneous recharge
No health from external sources while shield is active (medics/health packs)

The Ambassador 
Fires a single round that does large critical damage on headsots
Much slower reload speed

The Classic
Fast firing uncharged body shots 
Less overall damage

The Family Business (fat scout)
Basically the old panic attack, but better
Hold fire to load and hold shells in a clip, release to fire them all at once
Gain a speed boost on hit
Removes primary ammo

The Shahansha (Discout kukri jump)
Grants an increased jump when active
Drains health while held and takes 50 health to holster (Can't be holstered with less than 50 health)

Edited by Elcark (see edit history)

i have several ideas

The Hot Hand

+ridiculous knockback on hit

-really low fire rate (1 swing per second)

-75% lower damage

The Original

+really high rocket damage

+large blast radius

-1 rocket per clip

-low rocket speed

-low reload speed

The Gunslinger

+high melee damage

+25% more speed

-can't build anything

The Holy Mackarel

+100% faster swing speed

-99% lower damage

-no crits

The Frying Pan

+/-louder pan noises

+30% more damage

-low swing speed (1 swing per second)

7 minutes ago, KSPlayer1337 said:

The Hot Hand

+ridiculous knockback on hit

-really low fire rate (1 swing per second)

-75% lower damage

would hitting the boss cause a huge increase in rage just as an airblast does?

8 minutes ago, KSPlayer1337 said:

The Gunslinger

+high melee damage

+25% more speed

-can't build anything

is the 125% speed only active while the gunslinger is out, or is this a passive effect?

8 minutes ago, KSPlayer1337 said:

The Holy Mackarel

+100% faster swing speed

-99% lower damage

-no crits

this might be a meme since the mackerel is already trash, but this isn't a very good idea.

9 minutes ago, KSPlayer1337 said:

The Frying Pan

+/-louder pan noises

+30% more damage

-low swing speed (1 swing per second)

you should never even think of increasing pan volume.

I don't have anything to really contribute because I rarely play FF2 : (

53 minutes ago, Tatost said:

would hitting the boss cause a huge increase in rage just as an airblast does?

is the 125% speed only active while the gunslinger is out, or is this a passive effect?

hot hand will increase rage highly on hit and gunslinger speed is passive

It'd be cool to rework engie's short circuit mouse 2 into an anti-rage utility weapon

Short Circuit

-50% universal metal intake (Passive)

-25% holster speed

Primary Fire

+No longer consumes ammo

(My thoughts on m1 not taking up ammo is that the main use of the short circuit would be it's altfire mechanic and by default short circuit's m1 ability has the same exact functions as a normal pistol without any of the range)

AltFire

+Same capabilities as its default states (consumes 65 metal per shot, destroys projectiles), however on hit now reduces the boss' rage by 5 percent (trying to find a balanced percentage)

The anti rage mechanic serves as a more utility based weapon for engie that would encourage more so on focusing metal intake into reducing rage percentage instead of finding an area to camp in and set up a nest. The debuffs on holster speed and metal intake is to reduce the ability to quickly take out the weapon, spam shots, gain metal from a dispenser, and repeat. The idea is to compliment this weapon with the gunslinger (Build a minisentry and still be able to fire 2 alt-fire shots) as the the drastically increased time to create a lvl 2 sentry with a default wrench would be ineffective to set up a nest.

Gunslinger

+15% speed boost when active

+30% less metal required to build a minisentry

+160% Build Speed (1.5s to 1.35s)

+Sentry Bullets now cause after burn effect

+10% Knockback on minisentry bullets

+No Longer gives speed debuff on building hauling

+Default Stats (+25 hp)

In general using a mini sentry over a normal wrench already sacrifices a lot of dps potential and is a disadvantage in ff2 as the small increase to hp serves little to no difference in survivability. So I want to make the mini sentry more so an annoyance to the hale rather than pure dps. The speed buff gives the ability to move quicker and offers a better survivability tool. The idea is to incite the opposite play style of a normal ff2 engie, build an annoying mini sentry and be able to forget about it and focus on other means instead of being confined to a single area

You could have a version of the wrap assassin that bonks the boss, similar to the jetpack, but the bleed lasts longer, let's say 20 seconds at max range, and 7 point blank if that's doable.  With a really high recharge time.  (Also this is unrelated, but is the dead ringer ambassador reload speed glitch fixed?)

Edited by Brunche (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Brunche said:

You could have a version of the wrap assassin that bonks the boss, similar to the jetpack, but the bleed lasts longer, let's say 20 seconds at max range, and 7 point blank if that's doable.  With a really high recharge time.  (Also this is unrelated, but is the dead ringer ambassador reload speed glitch fixed?)

This essentially would just be a better sandman, I'd say just give the the wrap assassin  heavier bleed dmg, a slightly bigger aoe radius, and longer effect status (as you said). Just in terms of general buffs

3 hours ago, Brunche said:

You could have a version of the wrap assassin that bonks the boss

I'd rather not see anything that involves giving a buff to scouts movement or scout hindering the bosses. That class already has enough of an advantage in regards to that 

I don't know if this is already a thing, but an x% slow down on the boss when afflicted with Jarate would be a pretty nice attribute considering you drop SMG/Razorback. It would give people more of an incentive to not be the nerd who relies heavily on Razorback to tank damage, also would encourage more team-play. This slow effect could possibly save the sniper and/or teammates by allowing them to get away from the boss while he's being held back.

I have no clue what would be considered OP or anything in FF2, so I'm just going to leave it to someone else to choose a fair value. It's not a scout hindering, it makes the mini-crits easier to hit for obvious reasons and isn't brain-dead easy to aim unless at close range.

Edited by Tatost (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Tatost said:

I don't know if this is already a thing, but an x% slow down on the boss when afflicted with Jarate would be a pretty nice attribute considering you drop SMG/Razorback. It would give people more of an incentive to not be the nerd who relies heavily on Razorback to tank damage, also would encourage more team-play. This slow effect could possibly save the sniper and/or teammates by allowing them to get away from the boss while he's being held back.

I have no clue what would be considered OP or anything in FF2, so I'm just going to leave it to someone else to choose a fair value. It's not a scout hindering, it makes the mini-crits easier to hit for obvious reasons and isn't brain-dead easy to aim unless at close range.

As far as I am aware the vsh plugin removes the jarate/milk status effects from bosses immediately; reducing their rage percentage in the process. Because of that if the jarate did apply a slow it would end up being a pretty short one that is generally not worth considering.

11 hours ago, Blizzard said:

This essentially would just be a better sandman, I'd say just give the the wrap assassin  heavier bleed dmg, a slightly bigger aoe radius, and longer effect status (as you said). Just in terms of general buffs

With regards to buffing the wrap assassin, keep in mind that it gets permacrits and a second ball to launch because ff2 also has some stat changes. For reference, each ball does ~50 damage (yay crits!) + bleed (non self-stacking) and recharges a couple seconds slower than the cleaver.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:13 AM, mrnutty12 said:

As far as I am aware the vsh plugin removes the jarate/milk status effects from bosses immediately; reducing their rage percentage in the process. Because of that if the jarate did apply a slow it would end up being a pretty short one that is generally not worth considering.

This effect does prevent much to be done with jarate (doesn't exist on mad milk, that works like normal) but could probably be removed if that was desired since it doesn't seem that useful and not many people use it in the first place. 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:38 PM, Blizzard said:

+Sentry Bullets now cause after burn effect

Weapons igniting targets on hit is something I've hoped to add for a few different ideas as it seems like a very fun concept to play with, but regrettably doesn't function properly since the jungle inferno update due to the changes to afterburn.