Kypari

In regards to banning hackers

There have been a few incidents in the past where people on the server have been wrongfully accused of aimbot, walls or other kinds of hacks and have gotten banned regardless of this. To combat this, I often like to show people who have accidentally banned someone falsely for hacking a playlist on youtube dedicated to helping spot hackers. Hopefully this should help in the long-term!

Walls and aimbot tend to be more noticeable tbh, but I don't think a lot of those people I encountered on TGH was even hacking, actually easy to tell the difference from someone who has walls/aimbot to someone who plays fair. Basically I feel bad to those who have been wrongly accused.

27 minutes ago, Nyxll said:

Walls and aimbot tend to be more noticeable tbh, but I don't think a lot of those people I encountered on TGH was even hacking, actually easy to tell the difference from someone who has walls/aimbot to someone who plays fair. Basically I feel bad to those who have been wrongly accused.

Nyx, I may be misunderstanding your grammar but it isnt always easy to tell. What can make it hard is players using toggle in what i'll say is a 'smart' manner. What I mean by that is some players who choose to hack hide their bot by only toggling in the 'right' scenarios - i.e. when they're already scoped in and vaguely focused on someone so they don't snap or flick to another player. The same can go for walls if done right (albeit these are done correctly less frequently). That being said, some players with free/bad aim bots are excessively obvious, i'll give you that

There shouldn't be any wrongful bans for hackers, at least, not with how "hackusation" bans work. Assuming things play out the way that they used to back in the day of the admin handbook, players can only be banned for hacking if one of the three following conditions are met:

1. A Division Manager's approval was given to carry out the permanent ban for hacking
  2. At least two [or more] additional Staff Members were online to witness the action(s) of hacking by the player
  3. A 'demo' or recording was taken of the player's action(s) to support the claim that the player was hacking and can be produced when requested (eg. Ban Protest)

This is to ensure that the scenario in which a player is wrongfully banned for a hackusation has a moderately reduced chance of occurring. But again, this is assuming that the same guidelines have been enforced since then- otherwise, I see no reason why it was ever abolished.

Remember kids, if you assume the worst of someone [without evidence], you run the risk of making an ass of yourself and them.

11 minutes ago, Forest said:

But again, this is assuming that the same guidelines have been enforced since then- otherwise, I see no reason why it was ever abolished.

It never was undone, this is how it has always been treated (with demo's always being strongly urged even when either of the other requirements are meet). Having evidence for suspicion for hacking isn't equivalent to actual proof nor is it an exact science telling when someone is. People do and always have recorded demos for these situations, but that doesn't remove the margin for error of just straight up being mistaken. 

2 minutes ago, Elcark said:

Having evidence for suspicion for hacking isn't equivalent to actual proof nor is it an exact science telling when someone is. People do and always have recorded demos for these situations, but that doesn't remove the margin for error of just straight up being mistaken. 

You're absolutely right and I apologize if it seemed like I was implying it was something that was easily detectable as that was not my intention.

I'm just saying that it's better to give someone the benefit of the doubt, because like I said: at the end of the day, those guidelines only moderately reduce the chances of it occurring.

As a Staff Member, the responsibility here is to ensure that players in general have an enjoyable experience on our servers. That is to say, the focus should be on their enjoyment, not oneself. Mind you, that doesn't mean that Staff should essentially relinquish their own enjoyment entirely for the sake of others; more-so that they should take the time to consider "is anyone else having a less-enjoyable experience because of this Player's actions? Is it possible that this is a byproduct of the Player hacking?" more than considering "this Player is consistently killing me, they must be hacking". But please don't misinterpret this as me insinuating that every Staff Member treats any given situation as the latter more than the former, but merely that this is what would be considered the 'golden standard', though I digress.

All-in-all, you're right: people are going to make mistakes and there is no fix for human error. But that doesn't mean that the Staff member can't get a second opinion on whether or not someone is "hacking" prior to actually banning them, especially if they've captured a demo. I'm not chastising any Staff who make a simple mistake as it's better to be safe than sorry, but honestly speaking: if the server populace isn't being affected by someone's consistent "lucky shots", the chance that the Player is hacking is less likely than it is when based on the Staff Member's sole perception :coffee:

25 minutes ago, RB3805 said:

I feel that evidence must be gathered before Hackusations are carried out on. Good idea for the playlist tho!

It is mandatory to have evidence, though often people still make mistakes. It happens and it's fine as long as we learn from it

I only really play on surf so I can't say for other servers but when someone is cheating you investigate with cloaks erratic movements and the other players' reactions. Sometimes a false accusation will be thrown but I think moderators with experience with the game will know who is or isn't when using spectator or vanish/ghost mode.