Tekk

Policy On Slurs

I feel as though there's a bit of confusion regarding slurs. What's allowed, is one allowed if used in a specific context, etc. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what they think the slur rule should be.

I would like to restrict all slurs for equality's sake (racial, homophobic, etc) but no banning, just extended mutes.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

nigga is not getting allowed

Racist slurs just warn them, mute them if they are directing it at someone maliciously. 

Any other slurs take with a grain of salt, mute if they are directing it at someone maliciously. If someone says f*ggot to his friend on the server and no one bats an eye, there's no point to mute or warn them.

That is personally my opinion.

If they keep doing it with malicious intent or to troll, then it is obvious they can't handle being a decent human and shouldn't play on the servers anymore.

I think the policy is fine the way it is. While I could get behind completely banning all slurs, I do think that that could get a bit too strict and end up scaring some people off. We should just stick with the racial slurs. I'm against allowing all slurs because I do think that could result in xG getting a more toxic and immature audience. I think it might be a good idea to change how we punish for it though where just simply saying it results in extended mutes but no bans (unless it is maliciously intended).

My views on this topic haven't really changed. Either allow all of them completely or ban all of them. If I'm being honest, allowing one and banning the rest is just illogical and kind of stupid. 

39 minutes ago, tree_ said:

My views on this topic haven't really changed. Either allow all of them completely or ban all of them. If I'm being honest, allowing one and banning the rest is just illogical and kind of stupid. 

Racial slurs are not treated the same as other slurs in pretty much any aspect of life in most places. To say treating them different is illogical and kind of stupid doesn't really make sense to me.

30 minutes ago, Aegean said:

Racial slurs are not treated the same as other slurs in pretty much any aspect of life in most places. To say treating them different is illogical and kind of stupid doesn't really make sense to me.

Here's my thing. Sure, different slurs are treated differently in different aspects of life, but they're all still derogatory terms that have a ton of dark history behind them. Just because they're looked at differently doesn't mean that one is somehow more appropriate than the other. 

Here's essentially how I feel when I hop onto the servers. You tell me that I can call my homosexual friend a 'fag' but can't call my African American friend 'my nigga'. I feel like if they both don't care, why should it matter?

1 hour ago, Aegean said:

To be honest I reckon I'd still get fired if I called my manager a "nigga" or "faggot"

5 hours ago, Tekk said:

To be honest I reckon I'd still get fired if I called my manager a "nigga" or "faggot"

That's a terrible example because you'd probably get fired if you called them a moron or idiot, should we start reinforcing our gaming servers as if we were interacting with our bosses?

12 hours ago, Tekk said:

Nooo I'd agree if this was a real life community maybe, but these slurs are generally part of the gaming and internet culture, and while they may be indirectly slightly damaging towards the communities the slurs are for, I would say it's also not that big of a problem as long as, for example, the word "faggot" isnt coming out of the mouth of someone who clearly geniunely hates gay people

We all have heated gaming moments people let's not act like we dont

images (88).jpeg

12 hours ago, tree_ said:

Here's my thing. Sure, different slurs are treated differently in different aspects of life, but they're all still derogatory terms that have a ton of dark history behind them. Just because they're looked at differently doesn't mean that one is somehow more appropriate than the other.

Here's essentially how I feel when I hop onto the servers. You tell me that I can call my homosexual friend a 'fag' but can't call my African American friend 'my nigga'. I feel like if they both don't care, why should it matter?

It probably shouldnt matter for you, but looking at it from a community leader perspective it should, due to the political climate in america and how much more sensitive the topic of racism is (compared to homophobia) it would look better for the community if we were very slightly more against racist slurs, as long as it's reasonably done so

Also I dont think aegean means "my nigga" when he says racial slurs, he's probably talking about things like "nigger, spic, kike" etc. No?

11 hours ago, Aegean said:

That's a terrible example because you'd probably get fired if you called them a moron or idiot, should we start reinforcing our gaming servers as if we were interacting with our bosses?

It was meant to be a joke 😠

5 hours ago, Egossi said:

Also I dont think aegean means "my nigga" when he says racial slurs, he's probably talking about things like "nigger, spic, kike" etc. No?

If that's the case, then why not allow playful use of all of them instead of just one? That's an idea.