Sign in to follow this  
SneakySquirel

Cooler for overclocking proccessor

This is what I use and it works great.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

Copper heatpipes that directly contact the CPU

Comes with one 120mm fan, with hardware to attach an optional second (second is useless in my opinion).

This is the 120mm fan model, which stands about 160mm off the mobo. If your case isn't big enough for that they also have a 92mm model:

COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

Use Arctic Silver thermal paste (only about the size of a grain of rice - too much will actually insulate and cause overheating), and clean the CPU and heatsink with rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter (doesn't leave dust).

Whatever you get, keep a few things in mind:

Aluminum dissipates heat the best, so get something with aluminum fins.

Copper conducts heat the best (second to silver) so get something with copper heat pipes or at least a copper base.

It's all about getting the heat away from the CPU as quickly as possible, something with "direct contact heat pipes" (like I listed above) are ideal.

I run an AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 GHz and OC it to 4.0 GHz about 25% of the time over the past year with this heatsink, never had an issue.

To answer the first part of your question, OCing is only really worth it if you do a lot of number crunching.

If all you're looking to do is increase game performance, this probably won't do it for ya. There's a million other things to take into account; GPU, memory speed and bandwidth, HT speed (AMD only), FSB speed, etc.

I OC while gaming sometimes, no big difference. I primarily OC to crunch numbers for SETI@home

Ok cool yeah I was thinking it actually did something for game performance I have a gtx 460 1gb version right now but idk the more i play games on max settings the more I see it kinda sucks. I was going to buy another one but i found out i cant have 2 graphics cards on my motherboard. I plan on upgrading from 4gb of memory to 8gb so hopefully that will help out.

Increasing RAM could help.

Don't be fooled by SLI and Crossfire. 2 times the number of GPUs does not equal 2 times the performance. It actually figures out to an average of about a 1.4x increase, not 2x. Instead of spending the money on two identical cards, spend the money on one kick ass card (that will still be outdated in 2 months anyway).