Sign in to follow this  
Gawd

Computer shutting,

Alright, so this doesn't happen very often. But uh, sometimes when I plug in my headphones the entire computer just shuts off. Like, just instantly powers down. Just somewhat concerned over it frying my shit. Any possible solutions or reasons for the problem? It's nothing to do with my computer not getting enough power, or at least I don't beleve it is. I checked the voltage of each rail in BIOS and everything was fine.

So, in general not the biggest problem but if anyone has anything to suggest it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Might have something to do with the drivers of the headphones. Or something could be wrong with one of your USB ports. If you happen to unplug it and plug it into another USB port might be causing the problem. I keep all my shit in the same USB port. Its just force of habit now. So check that maybe.

Regular 3.5mm headphones or USB?

- If 3.5mm: Plugging into front jack, back jack, or pass-through on speakers?

- If USB: Plugging into front port, back port, or USB hub (power, or unpowered?)?

Hey @@Gawd, your computer could be overheating, literally the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Plugged my headphones in and bam, completely shuts off. Searched online how to turn it back on and it turns out it was just overheating. If you do use a laptop I could probably help you on this one.

Regular 3.5mm headphones or USB?

- If 3.5mm: Plugging into front jack, back jack, or pass-through on speakers?

- If USB: Plugging into front port, back port, or USB hub (power, or unpowered?)?

I'm plugging through the front jack with 3.5mm. And @@MuffinMonster I'm almost positive it's not overheating - I always keep temperatures check running and almost never goes above 40 C on my motherboard/gfx or cpu.

I'm plugging through the front jack with 3.5mm. And @MuffinMonster I'm almost positive it's not overheating - I always keep temperatures check running and almost never goes above 40 C on my motherboard/gfx or cpu.

Clean out your fan? You should check it out anyway, just in case there is some dust build up because you never know. That's all I got if you don't think it's overheating.

I'm plugging through the front jack with 3.5mm.

Have you tried different headphones/speakers to ensure the ones you're using aren't the problem?

Check the front audio header on your motherboard for any shorts, loose plug,etc. Follow the wires from the mobo to the front audio jacks and looks for any damage/shorts.

Try installing a new front audio port if all else fails. If you install a new port and the issue continues then it's probably the mobo.

Computer Hardware, front audio - Newegg.com