Sign in to follow this  
Otherworldly

War Stories (Yours Or Relatives)

Ok, there are a couple of rules to this thread.

• Be respectful of ANY army, from any country, from any alliance.
  • Be respectful of what happened, sometimes things are miraculous, but they may seem ********tish.
  • Don't troll, being part of the military is a hard job, and we should be respectful of those in it
  • Don't ask stupid questions (you'll know what they are)
  • No derailing, being stupid, etc etc.

Response to the stories is ok.

If this thread offends anyone, I apologize in advance and please discuss it with me through PM, not ranting in the thread.

So I'll start, I have two actually.

Albert Notley

The first part I ever heard about him in the military is being part of a tank crew in Vietnam. He was riding through with his buddies in the jungle, and he decided to go down into the tank because one of his buddies was getting a bit cramped up down there. So he went down into the tank and the other guy went up to man the tank's machine gun. His buddies were staying on the outside of it I think. Well, anyway, they continued into the forest, and they got hit with a chemical weapons. My grandpa, Albert, saw all of his buddies die a slow and painful death RIGHT in front of him. He managed to survive without even the most minor of injuries physically. He headed back and decided he wanted to be a sharpshooter instead due to not wanting that to happen ever again

So he was a sharpshooter, and he was a GREAT one at that. About half a year after the incident, he got selected to go on a mission that in this case was considered 'black operations'. He was supposed to go on a series of assassinations with his fellow soldiers and take out a lot of targets. Civilians were targeted due to women and children armed with grenades and would explode as a soldier got close to them. You know what the worst part of the mission was?

He wasn't supposed to finish it...

The counts were gruesome:

100 enemy targets dead (assassination targets, guards, soldiers, etc)

Unknown civilian kills (would have been a MUCH larger number than you expect)

Friendly casualties? All dead except for him.

And he came back from all of that. He was severely affected by it mentally, and he committed suicide from a heroine overuse a few months later after returning from Vietnam. It's all in my aunt's poetry. Her name is Alice Notley if you wanna look her up.

I got some great sharpshooting skills from him naturally. I shot guns out in the desert, and I almost always hit near or on the bullseye. He had all sorts of guns, like Uzis, AKs, M16s, grenades, German WW2 weapons, etc. Enemy uniforms and their accessories were there too. I have a Nazi pocket knife once belonging to an officer in the Nazi army.

Too bad I never got to meet the guy :/ He died when my mom was like, 2 or 4.

Uncle Bill

He was in World War II and he fought the war in Germany. He got shot in the head THROUGH his ironsights and survived.

He got thrown into a pile of bodies and then later got up and said

"Hey, what can a soldier get to eat around here?"

Some miracle, right? Heard he got put in the hospital for a REALLY long time. He didn't die from it though.

He got the Medal of Honor I believe...very rare considering only 3,000 to 4,000 soldiers ever received it.

Now it's your turn! Post if you want to or don't!

I dont know any relatives, but i watched this show called the pacific and he took out hundeds of the japaneese on the islands. he was sent home with the medal of honer, and was a moral boost for the soilders fighting. he went to train soilders back in a training camp. he then wanted to be shipped out with his trainees. he then died while charging with a machine gun. And also, no offense but there is no one who recived the medal of honer named bill. I searched it on wikipedia.

wikipedia lies kevinshady... they have no way of knowing everyone that has ever received a medal of honor...

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

btw otherworldy those were great stories thank you very much for sharing them with us and i respect any veteran of war!