Sign in to follow this  
ShakeNBake

"Will be" Versus "May be" in the MOTD

Being the immature and irresponsible person that I am, I like to blame other people for the problems that I see in life and ignore any hand that I may have had in them. And so it is that I have to ask...

Which is it? Will be? Or may be?

Confused? I'm talking about the JB MOTD. There are a lot of rules in the MOTD that state a person WILL be slayed, Will be teambanned, and im a little concerned about the certainty behind some of these rules and as to how to-the-letter they are expected to be followed. My favourite example of uncertainty is the part about how only the warden is allowed to open the cells and that an offender to this may be slayed or team banned at the warden's request. Now, on the surface i'd think this means that if someone does it for the first time, they are slayed, and if they do it many times in a row, they may be team banned for an hour or a day, rather that being completely ignored altogether.

From what I see, I think the implication is that it's more or less if people feel like slaying/teambanning people, then it will happen. When I read the MOTD, I seem to read "Must be slayed or teambanned" while most others seem to read it as "May be teambanned if you feel like it", and by having it written as "Will be" Leans more towards the former being more likely. This then comes as a dissapointment when it doesn't always happen.

So to sum it all up, I think that the extremity behind the way the rules are written needs to be changed to either indicate a more severe or more lax treatment towards rule breaking.

At the end of the day its the admins discretion on how severe the punishment should be. Yes there are general consensus with repeated rule breakers, but for the most party its trivial matters that all in all dont alter the gameplay that drastically.

I somewhat agree too this.

If a CT ever opens the cells before orders have been given I rarely see them ignored. Pretty much all the time they are slayed and for multiple accounts of the incident they have been teamkicked/banned.

Opening a cells after orders have been given isnt really a problem, I dont think that should be a slay, just a warning for first time offenders.

On the other hand it can also be annoying to the warden and t's. The t's may be asking for a repeat and may follow the wrong orders when cells are opened if a repeat is not given.

I think the MOTD is meant to be strict in order to stop potential rulebreakers before they commit the offence, but it is the admins/mods decision.

Sign in to follow this