Sign in to follow this  
McNeo

Calm Thyself

There's been all sorts of commotion regarding the paid mod and paid admin stuff but, for what it's worth, I want to throw in my two cents, as always. I'm starting a new thread for this because there's a handful of threads all over that go every which direction so I hope to take all the good points and mix them here to show how this will work.

Yes, like I just said, this will work. A lot of people are worried the paid mods and paid admins will abuse or misuse powers, and yes this is a distinct possibility. But remember that they are held to the same higher standards as the rest of the staff. They can be reported and demoted if anything goes wrong.

With the new ranking being PM < PA < M < A there should no longer be any hurt feelings or confusion over rank. If you earned your position you should be comfortable in knowing it does still mean something. Don't let it go to your head or abuse this - but keep in mind you their superior and your position isn't being threatened.

As a paid mod or paid admin some people might not know exactly what they're getting into. As time goes on and more people pay their way in I'm sure some will fall off as well for any number of reasons - demotion, stepping down because they don't like/want the responsibility, etc.

I've mentioned this a few times throughout the boards but something a previous clan of mine did was to have a "donator" status which rewarded you with mod powers after a few months. The PM and PA thing here is working out to be pretty much the same gig. In general I've found it's safe to assume that most people willing to fork over a big chunk of change do actually care about the community and use their powers for good. It's an extra set of eyes an ears both when the servers are busy and when it's late and mods/admins aren't on.

Overall this is a great opportunity to get support for the server - both financial and operational. A lot of people were worried at first about how the community and ranks would be affected and that's totally expected because this is all new to everyone. Parts of the donation process and PM/PA ranks have been fluid this past week or so and things are continuing to get ironed out. As time goes on it's getting more acceptance and being tweaked and changed here and there. Things will continue to evolve and soon the community can be stronger as a result.

Thanks for time.

tl;dr: The PM and PA thing is still evolving. Hang in there. Things will continue to get ironed out and we'll be better for it.

Also, pineapple.