Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Need help with Hard Drives

Western Digital WD Green WD10EZRX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - All Desktop Hard Drives - Newegg.com

or

Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Keep in mind, this is going into a gaming PC, with a budget of 400$. I know the difference in loading times, but other than that, it seems similar. I'm going with an APU anyway.

Both drives are SATAIII 6.0Gbps, so that's good, and are both 7200RPM, which is standard. I would not recommend the Caviar Green, however. Your access times will be lower since this is a low-power drive. Something like the green would be good as a second drive for storage, but not as your main drive. The Caviar Blue lists a 2-year warranty, where the Green lists nothing. And do note, you'll probably use that warranty, Caviar Blue drives (in my experience) have a life expectancy of about a year and half with daily use.

Out of these two I'd recommend the Blue. I use Caviar blue's in my builds and in my computer, and WHEN it fails after 18 months I'm okay with that because it's an opportunity to reload your OS and software and clean everything up.

I recommend Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Its on sale from 200 bucks to 110. It only stores 600 gbs, but honestly thats all you need in my opinion. Ive had my hardrive which has 750gbs and ive only filled 350 gbs of it up in 4 years. So good deal and its fast as fuck.