Sign in to follow this  
McNeo

Java Security Risk

Some have you may have heard, some may not have...

But late Thursday and into Friday a major security vulnerability has been discovered in the latest release of Java.

To learn how to disable Java in your browser, read here: How do I disable Java in my web browser?

For more information and news stories:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/oracle-corp-to-fix-java-security-flaw-shortly/articleshow/17999994.cms

Java's security flaws prompt warnings to disable the software

Or, you could just not use the latest version of Java.

Previous versions are no longer being updated and hold their own risks. The most recent previous version will stop being updated next month.

Except we sometimes use java in our browsers. So then we wont be turning it off.

That's where the whole security vulnerability is lol. Herp derp.

Yes. I was swamped at work Friday and likely will be again all this week. This exploit is being used by a few very nasty viruses.

For those who may not know, Java is a Framework. By having the Framework installed on your system it allows program and web developers to write a program in the Java language and distribute only the program with no additional runtime files. This makes for great ease of use and small program sizes. There's nothing wrong with using a framework, and there is no security flaw with the idea of a Framework. There are many frameworks such as .NET, Flash, Chromium Embedded - 95% of the programs you use use frameworks, including Microsoft Office, Steam, Chrome, and Firefox.

Anyways, getting back to the point. The vulnerability in Java right now (basically) allows a program full access to your system through a series of loopholes. If you go to the wrong site or download the wrong thing your system is open to the world within minutes, and in comes whichever virus initiated it.

An update for Java has been released. You can download it directly from Oracle here: Download Free Java Software

During the install process I recommend you keep an eye open for the option to install the Ask toolbar, and uncheck the selection so it does not install.

If you previously had disabled Java you can follow the steps in my original post to re-enable Java.