Fink

Audio Troubles..

So my old headphones stopped working and i got new ones. I have an HP envy 6 laptop (a powerhouse, i know lel) and i can only set my headphones to the default communications device in sound preferences. i cant set my headphones to default device. I can only here sound in communication apps like skype, steam chat, etc. In games and other apps, noise comes through the speakers. ive heard this only happens to hp users (idk if true) and if you use a hp or not, and if you would give me some advice on what to do, it would be appreciated.

if you are confused or if i made grammar mistakes in that, (im rushing) then feel free to speak up.

So what you're saying is, you can only set your headphones to the default communication device under the Playback tab of the Sound control panel? You typically want to click "Set as Default Device" rather than "Set as Default Communication Device". Unless you're saying it won't let you do that, in which case I'd double-check that there isn't another headphones/speaker out port you should be plugging into instead. Most laptops disable their built-in speakers when you hook up external speakers or headphones automatically though.