The Beta Maps Discussion

So, for those who haven't seen, two Beta maps were added and Valve would like the community to test out the maps and provide feedback. So I made this thread so we could discuss this for a few days, then I'll link this to Valve. (They want links to Forums that talk about it)

1st Map: pl_cactuscanyon

This maps is pretty small for a Payload map and there are a lot of unnecessary ramps to push the cart. There could be an entire enemy team of Engineers, Demos, Pyros and Medics which could make the task really difficult. My team couldn't even get to the first checkpoint because there were five enemy Engineers and only two entryways to try and flank them. This one needs work.

2nd Map: rd_asteroid

This is the first map in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! This map is pretty big, and I can say, I got lost quite a few number of times. While the idea of attacking robots to steal power cells and fill your Power Core first sounds fun, but I had no idea what I was supposed to do. Do I drop them off somewhere in a vault of something? Also, there's some crazy lasers that try to guard the Power Core, and they're more useless than the mashers in Galaxy Quest. Only thing is, this isn't a Star Trek parody. a31.media.tumblr.com_58f1157a0e1627769a1e22d599b16f90_tumblr_n8ghxfkEMe1r4dfaho1_1280.thumb.jpg.3d5a02573d03f0c428ebd3191cfa5225.jpg

This is fun but it needs better direction, like arrows or something, not just Battlements or Respawn signs. when someone stole the enemy's power core, their body wasn't outlined like in Capture the Flag, there was just an indicator and small sign over them. This map is a labyrinth to all new players but soon you get the hang of it. So far, I'm enjoying this more than Cactus Canyon, but it still needs work.

So what do you guys like or hate about the Beta maps?

Cactus canyon was very easily camped. I'm all for a hard task for blu. But me at my best as heavy with two skilled medics wasn't even enough to break it. That spawn definitely needs reworked. Rest of the map looked good though. I liked the hills, they gave you a sense of urgency to stay with the cart.

Asteroid was a lot of fun, and the base was dynamic with lots of alternate routes and flank points. But I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. The map itself was great, but that game mode should be reworked a little.

Well if you just listen to the Administrator at the beginning of the round on asteroid then you know what to do. And the new payload map is living hell with all of the sentry spam. But if you have a sniper or spy take down some of the engies it's manageable.

It seems like Valve is trying to make things more complicated. While I like the direction their going, it sounds like they need to fine-tune them a bit.

For the first map, I believe they can add some pathways in which spies can sap the sentries. They can be one-way paths so that engineers can't camp the pathways, though knowing the community, I think they'll find some kind of exploit. I have mixed feelings about the ramps. I believe it's nice to have them so that the game will be somewhat longer. On the other hand, it also adds unneeded frustration.

As for the second map, I like the space theme. It would be interesting to see them integrated into SFM videos.

TF2- IN SPACE!

All jokes aside, the second map probably just needs some more direction, and it would be a fun map. I bet there would be lots of moments spawned from this map.

The Space map is cool and i like how Valve is trying to put in a new game mode, but as you said the lack of arrows on the map just makes it confusing. Also the space mode is full of either scouts,engy,or pyros, there is no other class

The new paylod map looks cool, I look at it as a parkour map, if you jump from building to building (perfect for da 360 no aim dropstabs, but again when i go there it's either engys just camping that one glitch in the map where you go under the ground and just camp their spawn(thxs STAR_) or scouts running around looking at the new maps.

Guys. The Administrator tells you what you have to do at the beginning of the match. I don't know why you guys are confused. I got it off the start