Sign in to follow this  
Lonewolf1925

Computer is broke on one user account.

Ok, so I was allowing my little brother play club penguin on The computer on my side, and the computer freezes up. I shut it down after it not doing anything for 10 minutes. It won't boot up past the splash screen, so I unplug everything and leave it alone for an hour. I come back to it and it loads up very slowly but it eventually gets to the login page. I login to my side and the computer goes to a light blue screen and nothing else. I can still Ctrl-Alt-Delete. So I logout and go to my dads side, and it works just fine desktop loads and everything, and it seems to run smooth.

So what is the problem? I need help asap. Please and thank you.

Edit: Also It seems that it cannot load my hard drive with all the Games I have, and a few other hard drives.

By "your side" I assume you mean your user account?

Could be failing RAM, failing Hard Drive, or Windows/Account corruption.

How to test your RAM: How to test your RAM in Windows - CNET

How to test your hard drive:

• Windows XP: Click Start>Run, type "cmd", and hit enter
    • Windows 7: Click Start, type "cmd" in the search bar, and hit enter

[*]Type "chkdsk /r" and hit enter. You will be told that your computer cannot run the task, and it will ask if you'd like to run it when the computer restarts. Type "y" and hit enter.

[*]Reboot and allow the chkdsk to run. This process may take up to an hour.

I have a possible solution for you. First things first, you're going to want to go to your kitchen, grab a glass of water, and pour it all over your desktop. That should fry your computer to the point in which you'll be forced to buy a new one, which will most likely not be affected by your current problem.

Does it spin up while plugged in and powered on?

Does it make any clicking or grinding while it's plugged in?

The computer runs fine when this drive is unplugged, but when you have it plugged in the overall computer performance is slow, correct?

Does it spin up while plugged in and powered on?

Does it make any clicking or grinding while it's plugged in?

The Hard drive seemed to be making a strange noise, but my computer always makes strange noises.

The computer runs fine when this drive is unplugged, but when you have it plugged in the overall computer performance is slow, correct?

The computer barely worked when the Harddrive was plugged in. When It did work it took 10 minutes to boot up and won't load half the stuff that I needed. I went ahead and did a system restore and when it was finished a message popped up on my screen telling me that it had to check for consistency in the Hard drive that my steam games were on. As it was doing this it would get done with Step 1, Sometimes, and then crash when it got to Step 2. It continued this process of booting up, checking drive, and then crashing. I went ahead and unplugged the Hard Drive when the computer booted up it started working as if nothing had happened.

If it's making a continual clicking or grinding put the drive in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for at least 6 hours, then try plugging it in. Have your computer booted up, on, and ready, then plug in the power first, wait 10 seconds, then the data. This will prevent Windows from failing to load. (Only do this if it's a SATA drive, which I assume it is, SATA is hot-swappable.) Putting it in the freezer makes the metal contract and sometimes can be a temporary fix for some internal hardware failure.

More likely, though, what I more strongly suspect the issue is, is a large number of failing sectors. Some Linux distros can be very good at recovering data from bad sectors, so you might try slaving it to a Linux box if you can.

Either way, you're between a rock and a hard place. And this, kids, is why we make backups.

If it's making a continual clicking or grinding put the drive in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for at least 6 hours, then try plugging it in. Have your computer booted up, on, and ready, then plug in the power first, wait 10 seconds, then the data. This will prevent Windows from failing to load. (Only do this if it's a SATA drive, which I assume it is, SATA is hot-swappable.) Putting it in the freezer makes the metal contract and sometimes can be a temporary fix for some internal hardware failure.

More likely, though, what I more strongly suspect the issue is, is a large number of failing sectors. Some Linux distros can be very good at recovering data from bad sectors, so you might try slaving it to a Linux box if you can.

Either way, you're between a rock and a hard place. And this, kids, is why we make backups.

Yeah, had to learn that the hard way, since I lost all my Single player saves and all my stuff on Terraria. Oh well, I'm just glad that it wasn't my entire computer and that I can still play my Games.

I'll try to see what I can do about the Hard drive later, right now I'm just worried about getting my games working again and checking to see if anything else is wrong with my computer other than just that one Hard drive.

Thanks for the Help McNeo!

You need format your computer or buy a new HDD. If the reformat didn't work you have a bad hard drive or probably dead already. Try reformatting first if not buy a new hard drive.

Did you also do disk defragment etc? That can help a little bit on performance of your computer.

You need format your computer or buy a new HDD. If the reformat didn't work you have a bad hard drive or probably dead already. Try reformatting first if not buy a new hard drive.

Did you also do disk defragment etc? That can help a little bit on performance of your computer.

The drive will not defrag if it is marked dirty. The dirty flag is set when a significant number of sectors have become corrupt, which a chkdsk will show, and I suspect is the case here.

Hard drives are cheap. Buy a second for backups ;)